X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tomcat
    replied
    Originally posted by rainbow View Post
    Would the phasing program be able to tell me if my father is really half Slavic and half Northwest European, or half Slavic and some Amerindian and some NW European, or NW European and Amerindian? My 17% Amerindian would displace either the NW European or the Slavic. If it displaces the Slavic then my real paternal grandfather was someone else. If it displaces the NW European, then it is from my paternal grandmother.
    Like all such programs they are only as good as the inputs. Without a comprehensive populations comparative database, or at least a database appropriate to your ancestries, your most-likely-matches may not represent your actual ancestries.

Leave a comment:

• PDHOTLEN
    replied
    Sometime ago I googled Puerto Ricans and Springfield and found photos of people that live there. Most look mostly European but have that certain something in their look that is like mine, and I could easily blend in with them. And tonight I caught a little of the tv series "We Will Remain" and it talked about King Philip's War (I don't remember ever hearing about him or that war before). At the end of the war the surviving Indians that were captured were sold into slavery and sent to the West Indies and Europe (that part I heard about sometime after getting my admixture results). Maybe the Puerto Ricans of Springfield, Massachussets are descendants of the Indians that were originally from Massachussets or New England? Maybe my match to the P.R. of Mass. is an indirect match to Algonquian?
    Weren't there Indians already in Puerto Rico when the Spaniards arrived?

Leave a comment:

• rainbow
    replied
    Sometime ago I googled Puerto Ricans and Springfield and found photos of people that live there. Most look mostly European but have that certain something in their look that is like mine, and I could easily blend in with them. And tonight I caught a little of the tv series "We Will Remain" and it talked about King Philip's War (I don't remember ever hearing about him or that war before). At the end of the war the surviving Indians that were captured were sold into slavery and sent to the West Indies and Europe (that part I heard about sometime after getting my admixture results). Maybe the Puerto Ricans of Springfield, Massachussets are descendants of the Indians that were originally from Massachussets or New England? Maybe my match to the P.R. of Mass. is an indirect match to Algonquian?

Leave a comment:

• rainbow
    replied
    What is the link to the phasing program? .

Leave a comment:

• Noaide
    replied
    Originally posted by tomcat View Post
    No. There are computer programs that phase or separate a bi-allelic profile into two most likely to represent one's parents.
    Sure, it works with parents, but then again you dont really need to resolve these with phasing program, you can do it in a minute or two yourself if you have one of your parents data.

Again how usefull will this "haplotype" you have phased be when all the 21 single markers are independent? There is no way you will be able to find an exact match with some unrelated individual, or as in Omnipop 1 to a billion, and if you got this "haplotype" match I am quite sure you would likely not find this individual to be identical by descent but by state.

Leave a comment:

• Noaide
    replied
    Don't see this. Whether dealing with blocks or bits the strategy is the same. Albeit somewhat more difficult with fewer bits and such cosmopolitan bits such as the CODIS markers.
    The whole idea about phasing is to resolve genotype to haplotype for linked markers, and as far as my mind is able to there is no point phasing totally independent single markers if there is no linkage between the markers, the phasing would be no better than trowing dices.

Leave a comment:

• tomcat
    replied
    Originally posted by Noaide View Post
    There is no point phasing any of the CODIS markers as these all are independent of each other, you need markers to be in linkage to have any purpose.
    Don't see this. Whether dealing with blocks or bits the strategy is the same. Albeit somewhat more difficult with fewer bits and such cosmopolitan bits such as the CODIS markers.

Leave a comment:

• rainbow
    replied
    Originally posted by Noaide View Post
    There is no point phasing any of the CODIS markers as these all are independent of each other, you need markers to be in linkage to have any purpose.
    Ah. Okay. Letting go of the sudden false hope. Who knows, maybe someday it can be done with CODIS, or with junk dna. Thanks Noaide & Tomcat.

Leave a comment:

• Noaide
    replied
    No. There are computer programs that phase or separate a bi-allelic profile into two most likely to represent one's parents.

Leave a comment:

• rainbow
    replied
    Would the phasing program be able to tell me if my father is really half Slavic and half Northwest European, or half Slavic and some Amerindian and some NW European, or NW European and Amerindian? My 17% Amerindian would displace either the NW European or the Slavic. If it displaces the Slavic then my real paternal grandfather was someone else. If it displaces the NW European, then it is from my paternal grandmother.

Leave a comment:

• rainbow
    replied
    That is new to me. I would like to run mine thru a phasing program. Is it being developed or is it already available? What is the link/url?

Leave a comment:

• tomcat
    replied
    Phasing program? Do you mean ensfi or str-list?

Leave a comment:

• rainbow
    replied
    I think it's amazing that a person who is half Italian and half Mexican gets Syrian as his top match. My top match is also Syrian, but my ancestry is 3/4 Northwest European (mostly from the British Isles) and 1/4 Czechoslovakian. Lucas from DNA Tribes said my str profile is 1/8 to 1/4 Native American, and DNAPrint said I am 17% Native American (which is roughly 1/6). Most of my top 20 global matches are New World Mestizo (mostly Brazil). I forgot about Syria being part of the Roman Empire. I thought I was matching because of maybe Phoenician or from Crusader ancestry.

Leave a comment:

• rainbow
    replied
    Originally posted by tomcat
    separating the two halves of his profile - by running the profile through a phasing program.
    Phasing program? Do you mean ensfi or str-list?
    Last edited by rainbow; 12 April 2009, 05:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RegRiv
    replied
    Hi Tomcat. Thanks for your insight. My mother-in-law's father is from Naples region and her mother is from Calabria, in southern Italy.

My DH has black/(gray) hair and dark brown eyes. Strangely, whenever we've traveled, people have always questioned his ethnicity. In Italy, he was asked if he was Mediterranean. And Arabs we met abroad insisted he looked Kuwaiti. Someone from India thought he looked East-Indian. He'll tell someone his nationality and where he lives..and they undoubtedly ask where he is "originally" from. I'm thinking maybe it indeed was Syria then. Especially, if as you've noted, that it's supported by other nearby DNA hits (of Oman and Israel). This is quite interesting. And, funny enough, he loves curries & hummus, etc. He's the only one in his family that eats that though!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X