23andMe. I have long maintained (back to the days when DNAPrint was flying
    high) that until we get reference samples from the regions of North America
    where many of us trace descent, using South American as proxies is highly
    debatable. I won't comment on the use of the Han or Japanese - most would
    know that this is even more debatable. There will doubtless be founder
    effects that are not seen in the South Americans; and perhaps the latter
    carry unique haploblocks which have disappeared in North America. It is
    generally the case that as a new region is being settled, some of the
    diversity is left behind (for example crossing south into Mexico and Central
    America) - and the same for subsequent migrations (for example to the east
    from the Pacific in South America). There are a number of studies which
    suggest that the more northerly groups more closely resemble Siberians than
    South Americans - that this resemblance to Siberians disappears as a
    function of distance from ancient Beringia.

The following groups (four females, one male) will be represented in the
    23andMe databases:

1) Algonquin / Mohawk (Ontario, Canada)
    2) Saulteaux Ojibway (Manitoba, Canada) - Y Haplogroup C3
    3) Mi'kmaq (Nova Scotia, Canada)
    4) Potawatowmie (Michigan, USA)
    5) Ottawa / Chippewa (border, Michigan, Ontario)

All individuals are registered as First Nations with the respective
    governement. Each is Native American on both the father and mother's sides
    of the family. Thanks also to Thomas Goulde and David Pike for their
    assistance.

Would that there were more kits to dispense, but that is all I have at the
    moment. I am hoping that 23andMe will see the wisdom in significantly
    increasing the numbers of First Nations from North America. I have no doubt
    I and others with connections in Native American communities could bring in
    many hundreds - a good cross section of the regions and tribal / nation
    groups; especially if we were given time to do some PR work. Just today I
    got word that the message was getting around Tyendinaga and Six Nations
    (where I wish to obtain further sampling), but all of my kits are assigned.

David K. Faux

Comment

• Am I dreaming? This is wonderful news!

Thank you to all that made it possible.

I will come back later to re-read that to make sure I am not dreaming.

Comment

• Now a sixth, an Athabascan.

Comment

• Originally posted by tomcat View Post
          Now a sixth, an Athabascan.
          Is it DNATribes and/or 23andme that has/will have North American Indian categories? I looked at the 23andme webpage and didn't see the news on there. But I can see only part of the website. I am not on a regular computer, just my phone. I can finally read my email, as of yesterday afternoon. I was about to email 23andme. But since this is a DNATribes thread I thought maybe it's a mix-up and you meant DNATribes. I know the recent 23andme thread has been removed/is missing. I will bump up the old 23andme thread from about 6 months ago. When will the new categories/data be available for me to compare my results with? My 23andme should be finished in a month, by November 05th. They received my sample October 05th.

Comment

• DNA TRIBES oct results

Native Population Match Results :
            Middle :Portugal (0.45) 180.10,-Low : Qatar (0.3) 88.64-Lowest :Northern Portugal (0.34) 72.89,Berber (Asni, Morocco) (0.18) 60.31,Maghrebi (0.39) 55.74,Guineau-Bissau (0.07) 44.21,Sahrawi (Western Sahara) (0.28) 41.80,Northern Portugal (0.23) 34.94,
            Strathclyde, Scotland (0.19) 33.21,Central Portugal (0.3) 33.13,Oman (0.54) 32.74,Guinea-Bissau (0.09) 31.99,Portugal (0.23) 30.57,
            Berber (Southern Morocco) (0.32) 29.19,Basque (Basque Country, Spain) (0.2) 28.60,Central Portugal (0.23) 27.71,Qatar (0.27) 27.47,
            Portugal (0.28) 26.52,Tunisia (0.27) 26.38,Berber (Bouhria, Morocco) (0.17) 25.95

Global Population Match Results

Strongest :Moroccan (Belgium) (0.28) 268.27-Middle :Portugal (0.45) 180.10,,Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (0.25) 174.34-Low :Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (0.4) 110.91,Sao Paulo, Brazil (0.39) 110.07,Minas Gerais, Brazil (0.39) 106.14,Qatar (0.3) 88.64-Lowest :Cape Verde (0.18) 77.36,
            Northeast Brazil (0.35) 75.10,Southeast Brazil (0.4) 73.58,Northern Portugal (0.34) 72.89,Sergipe, Brazil (0.29) 69.71,Central West Brazil (0.39) 67.55,Afro-Brazilian (0.25) 63.41,Hispanic (New York, U.S.A.) (0.38) 62.25,Mato Grosso do Sul, Brazil (0.35) 61.95,Berber (Asni, Morocco) (0.18) 60.31,Caracas, Venezuela (0.37) 58.71,Maghrebi (0.39) 55.74,Afro-Caribbean (United Kingdom) (0.09) 50.54

World Region Match Results

Strongest :North African (0.33) 75.23,-middle :Mediterranean (0.22) 23.56-Low : Levantine (0.26) 18.10, Arabian (0.19) 15.98-lowest : Mesopotamian (0.3) 12.76, Northwest European (0.17) 11.57, Aegean (0.17) 9.54, Finnic (0.15) 5.17, North India (0.17) 4.51, East African (0.01) 3.57, Eastern European (0.08) 2.32, Mestizo (0.09) 2.29, Southern African (0.01) 1.74, Altaian (0.1) 0.65, West African (0) 0.48

Family tree:Im J haplogroup HVR2 Ireland 0.2% and norway 0.6%

Comment

• my DNA tribes results

Does anyone have any thought to my results?

Comment

• Hi Sherrie. How do your matches compare with your known ancestry, if you know it?

My last update, in July, had Maghrebi in 20th place. I also have Portugal. Portugal is usually my first match, but my July 2009 top match is Syria. I once had a top 20 match to Southern Tunisia and Bahrain and Turkey. My actual ancestry is 3/4 Northwest European and 1/4 Czechoslovakian. I think DNATribes matches to Portugal and Basque can be interpreted as ancient British ancestry (Scottish, Pict, Brythonic, Welsh, Celtic).

Comment

• Sherrie,

I noticed your results on the DNA Tribes Log the other day. Results like yours indicate that you have stumped the exam, and the DNA Tribes algorithm is floundering, grasping at straws to "read" your DNA. You have too many different inputs to your genetic makeup, although they might be no more distant than northern and southern Europe.

Does any part of your DNA Tribes results match your known ancestry?

Regards,
                  Jim

Comment

• Re Czechoslovakian

Pre-WWII Czechoslovakian would seem to be made up of several ethnic groups; West Slav, Sudeten German (various strains of German & Austrian), pre-Indo-European tribes that were absorbed over thousands of years, possibly Huns & Mongols, and maybe a surprise or two.

Comment

• hi rainbow and jim

well on my extended match results Norway and Northern Ireland did appear but lower ranked I thought since it was a admix perhaps they just got diluted and I was trying to make since of what DNA Tribes was telling me.FTDNA mtdna has Norway at 0.6% and Ireland at 0.2%

Comment

• DNA Tribes responce

Dear Ms. Bodet, Thank you for contacting us regarding your testing. Berber ancestry is most robustly expressed in match scores for the North African genetic region, and Celtic ancestry in scores for the Northwest European world region and more specific Celtic sub-region identified in DNA Tribes Europa analysis. Results indicate your total combination of genetic material can be found in both parts of the world, including the North African region which has been in contact not only with Near Eastern populations but also Europeans and Africa south of the Sahara Desert.

Comment

• I think DNA Tribes should increase the number of markers they test.

Comment

• Originally posted by sherrie View Post
                            Dear Ms. Bodet, Thank you for contacting us regarding your testing. Berber ancestry is most robustly expressed in match scores for the North African genetic region, and Celtic ancestry in scores for the Northwest European world region and more specific Celtic sub-region identified in DNA Tribes Europa analysis. Results indicate your total combination of genetic material can be found in both parts of the world, including the North African region which has been in contact not only with Near Eastern populations but also Europeans and Africa south of the Sahara Desert.
                            I still say your "matches" are so weak as to be almost meaningless.

How far back can you trace your family tree? Is there a lot of variety there?

Regards,
                            Jim

Comment

• known ancestry

About my known ancestry the earliest ancestor on paper I have is susannah Bailey 1630 from va and on my dad 1500 in germany .I have many scots irish names.

Comment

• Originally posted by PDHOTLEN View Post
                                Pre-WWII Czechoslovakian would seem to be made up of several ethnic groups; West Slav, Sudeten German (various strains of German & Austrian), pre-Indo-European tribes that were absorbed over thousands of years, possibly Huns & Mongols, and maybe a surprise or two.
                                That is why I took the AncestryByDna test in 2006, to find out if I had Mongol ancestry from my 1/4 Czechoslakian ancestry. But ABD said I had Native American ancestry, so then I tested with DNATribes. This year I tested with 23andme and they say I have zero Asian/Native American. So I went full circle but end up with Syria as my top DNATribes match. I think I am matching not the pure Syrian but Syrians who have a significant amount of French or Norman English ancestry. My top 20 has Denmark and France as well as many other areas of Europe. My maternal grandmother told me her side had Holy Land Arab (Muslim converted to Christianity) in our Norman English line, according to what one of her brothers told her.
                                Last edited by rainbow; 11 November 2009, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X