Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Tribes' Populations

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by drouhin View Post
    Does anyone know how quick the turnaround is for the 21 marker Tribes report, especially recently?

    I just sent in my sample, and it got to the lab around Wednesday, this week. Any hope for receiving the report by the end of next week?

    Can you tell I want to see the results?
    Hi drouhin,

    I'm wondering what yor results were. Did you get them yet?

    You and I both have ancestry from New Jersey and I wondered if you have Mestizo or other Native American/Latin American matches (that is what I have).

    Elizabeth

    Comment


    • Originally posted by tomcat View Post
      Friday, May 15, 2009
      New Populations for May 15, 2009

      We are pleased to announce the addition of several new populations to our database:

      New East Asian Populations:
      Central Thailand (212)
      Indonesia (402)
      Northeastern Thailand (304)
      Northern Thailand (202)
      Philippines (181)
      Southern Thailand (211)

      New European Populations:
      Moldavia, Romania (1,321)
      Republic of Montenegro (101)

      New Latin American Populations:
      Mestizo (Bolivia) (148)

      New Near Eastern Populations:
      Palestinian (Gaza Strip) (125)
      Southern Morocco (Arabic speakers) (204)

      New South Asian Populations:
      Bengali (Bangladesh) (148)

      Thank you Tomcat

      I ordered the update analysis for the new algorithm and new populations. I may or may not get "Mestizo (Bolivia)", but chances are I will get "Palestinian (Gaza Strip)", since I match "Arab (Israel)" and "Syria" on my last update. They don't have a category for Lebanon yet (where the Phoenicians were from).
      Chances are my matches will change with the new algorithm (that word always makes me think of Al Gore).

      I think DNA Tribes pdfs/digests are interesting. They are like the autosomal version of the Genographic Project.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by rainbow View Post
        Hi drouhin,

        I'm wondering what yor results were. Did you get them yet?

        You and I both have ancestry from New Jersey and I wondered if you have Mestizo or other Native American/Latin American matches (that is what I have).

        Elizabeth
        Oops, never mind. I just saw that you already posted them in another thread, and that we already talked about all that in that thread.
        I guess I'm getting forgetful.

        Comment


        • Hi rainbow,

          The scores were quite a surprise! I'm presently waiting for my 23andme results to come in to see whether they confirm the Tribes results.

          I've since encountered a poster on another thread who's 1/2 NA and has a Global Tribes breakdown similar to mine. His highest Regions score is also Mestizo, only his is very slightly lower than mine.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by drouhin View Post
            Hi rainbow,

            The scores were quite a surprise! I'm presently waiting for my 23andme results to come in to see whether they confirm the Tribes results.

            I've since encountered a poster on another thread who's 1/2 NA and has a Global Tribes breakdown similar to mine. His highest Regions score is also Mestizo, only his is very slightly lower than mine.
            I wonder if you'll get a percentage of East Asian. 23andme lists American Indian as East Asian.
            But one poster who had 10% Native American from one test (DNA Print) got no East Asian at all with 23andme (or decodeme? one of those companies.)

            But with your high Mestizo score from DNA Tribes I would expect you would have at least 20% East Asian with 23andme. Let's wait and see.


            I managed to view my new pdfs from DNA Tribes. My latest update was emailed to me on May 21, but I couldn't view it until this afternoon.

            It's pretty much the same as my previous ones. Lots of Portugal. I picked up Southern Morocco in my top 20 this time (#3). And I have Turkey again, at #20. In my new Europa, I have Portuguese at #1, and Celtic at #2, and Spanish at #3 (Norse dropped to fourth and Spanish moved up to third).



            edit: Here is my new signature (I copied and pasted it to here, instead of retyping it all), with my latest top three matches from DNA Tribes.

            Elizabeth
            MTDNA: H1 16519C
            2006 AncestryByDna 2.5: 83% European & 17% Native American.
            Europa: Portuguese (0.34) 78.63, Celtic (0.29) 43.79, Spanish (0.28) 43.00
            Part B: Syria (0.58) 183.82, Morocco (0.4) 155.59, Southern Morocco (Arabic speakers) (0.24) 145.64

            Part C: Puerto Rican (Springfield, Massachusetts, U.S.A.) (0.53) 215.38, Sergipe, Brazil (0.42) 214.46, Syria (0.58) 183.82
            Part D: North African (0.38) 75.49, Mediterranean (0.33) 47.40, Northwest European (0.29) 42.71
            Last edited by rainbow; 23 May 2009, 03:36 PM.

            Comment


            • Thanks


              I have no matches in my newest Native American panel. The top three are:
              Athabaskan (Alaska) (0.01) 0.01
              Hnu Hnu (Otomi) (Hidalgo, Mexico) (0) 0.00
              Chol Maya (Northeast Chiapas, Mexico) (0) 0.00


              Sometimes I get over 1.0 for Athabaskan (Alaska) in my updates, and sometimes I don't.

              I still have Latin American matches and Native American (mixed) matches, and a world region match to Mestizo.

              My world region matches are the same twelve as last time (above 1.0). Here are the new numbers:
              North African (0.36) 75.49
              Mediterranean (0.33) 47.40
              Northwest European (0.29) 42.71
              Aegean (0.37) 34.17
              Levantine (0.33) 33.65
              Mestizo (0.46) 28.41
              Mesopotamian (0.34) 24.92
              Finno-Ugrian (0.24) 17.59
              North India (0.33) 11.41
              Eastern European (0.18) 10.57
              Arabian (0.1) 6.51
              South India (0.06) 1.41

              In my Part B, I picked up Southern Morocco (Arabic speakers), and Turkey. Those two replaced Arab (Israel), and Extremadura, Spain. But not in the same spots, just within the top twenty.

              Comment


              • New estimate is approximately 1/8, with 1/8 to 1/4 not excluded.

                Comment


                • I apologize for "eavesdropping" but I am finding this conversation totally fascinating, and you have got me tempted to check into DNA Tribes as well. My family's Y and mt DNA tests don't have any matches yet and I'm wondering if it might give me some additional clues about what areas we might tie into. At this point I'll take any clues I can get!

                  I'm assuming that this is a test that can also be taken by a female? And, judging by the reports you get, would it help me narrow in on general regions in the British Isles?

                  It looks VERY cool!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by DeeTyler View Post
                    I apologize for "eavesdropping" but I am finding this conversation totally fascinating, and you have got me tempted to check into DNA Tribes as well. My family's Y and mt DNA tests don't have any matches yet and I'm wondering if it might give me some additional clues about what areas we might tie into. At this point I'll take any clues I can get!

                    I'm assuming that this is a test that can also be taken by a female? And, judging by the reports you get, would it help me narrow in on general regions in the British Isles?

                    It looks VERY cool!
                    Yes, a woman can take it, and no, it is not much help with the British Isles because it has few samples from there. http://www.dnatribes.com/populations.html

                    You are a wise shopper who has saved your money today.

                    Regards,
                    Jim

                    Comment


                    • New Tribes Digest

                      Saturday, May 30, 2009
                      DNA Tribes Digest for May 30, 2009: Genetic Relationships among South American Indians

                      The new issue of DNA Tribes Digest is now available. This month's feature article is "Genetic Relationships among South American Indians," where we explore genetic characteristics in the Patagonian, Amazonian, and Andean regions.

                      Table of Contents for May 30, 2009

                      Introduction
                      Genetic Relationships among South American Indians
                      At the Ends of the Earth: the Patagonian Region
                      Eden of the Americas: the Amazonian Region
                      Mountain Backbone of South America: the Andean Region
                      Conclusion

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by DeeTyler View Post
                        I apologize for "eavesdropping" but I am finding this conversation totally fascinating, and you have got me tempted to check into DNA Tribes as well. My family's Y and mt DNA tests don't have any matches yet and I'm wondering if it might give me some additional clues about what areas we might tie into. At this point I'll take any clues I can get!

                        I'm assuming that this is a test that can also be taken by a female? And, judging by the reports you get, would it help me narrow in on general regions in the British Isles?

                        It looks VERY cool!

                        Hi DeeTyler
                        Yes, a woman can take the test.
                        http://www.dnatribes.com/index.html

                        Comment


                        • DNATribes helps, but the main thing is you need the geneaology to back it up.

                          For instance, recently found out that the brother of my Great Great Grandmother applied for citizenship in the Cherokee Nation in 1896.

                          That makes that 759.63 Mestizo score I got look much more likely. I have only seen one other person who had a Mestizo score like mine, and he descends also from the Cherokee.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by BlackWolf View Post
                            DNATribes helps, but the main thing is you need the geneaology to back it up.

                            For instance, recently found out that the brother of my Great Great Grandmother applied for citizenship in the Cherokee Nation in 1896.

                            That makes that 759.63 Mestizo score I got look much more likely. I have only seen one other person who had a Mestizo score like mine, and he descends also from the Cherokee.

                            There isn't any Native American ancestry in the paper trail on my fathers side, but that's where my 17% Native American autosomal dna is from. My mom tested and she has zero (yet her side has the paper trail showing descent from Pocahontas).

                            Comment


                            • Wow, seventeen European sub-regions! Have any Europa testers done this upgrade? What do you think?

                              Comment


                              • My father's top three Europa are:

                                Celtic (.89) 11,745.10
                                Finnic (0.94) 7,733.66
                                Belgic (0.89) 5,913.30

                                Most ancestry is Dutch...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X