Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Tribes' Populations

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Present political name not always genetic name.

    Originally posted by burto View Post
    So could that explain matches to Poland?
    As pghotlen and others point to, Slav, German, Nordic, people washed to and fro in history, in the lands just south of the Baltic.
    Are you from N Poland or Prussia? Depends on what century. In living memory N.Poland contained entire valleys where only German was spoken.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by rainbow View Post
      Hi Regina. Your DH does have a match or two to Italy. And Argentina has a lot of Italians. You can tell if a person is Argentinian by how they speak. They speak Spanish with an Italian accent. .......
      And in Chubut province they still speak Spanish with a Welsh accent, and speak Welsh at home. They nearly achieved their own State Of Cymry Newydd (New Wales) in the early 19th century but were forestalled by Argentine annexation of their territory from (then) Chile. So you could now have Welsh DNA and be reported as matched in Argentina.

      Comment


      • Thanks for your replies, DFK & Rainbow. Regarding DH's heritage; his mother's genealogy goes back 150-200 years to Catholic Italians living in Italy. She assumes she is 100% Italian. And his Dad can go back over 100 years in Mexico. His Dad believes he is 100% Mexican...with a tiny amount of Mayan.

        Regarding my DH's top Syrian match: I intend to read up more on Syria. Since Syria was part of the Roman Empire and was Christian until 636 AD when it was invaded by Arabs. So, it might not be a stretch that my DH has Syrian, vs. Italian, I suppose. (I didn't realize, until now, that St. Luke was originally from Syria. I'd only known about its Arab history.....)

        Btw, here are my husband's Native American results. He clearly is not Mayan, as his father supposed:

        Native American (Minn. USA) (.15) 8.34
        Native American (Minn. USA) (.12) 4.78
        Native American (Minn. USA) (.13) 3.31
        Yucatan Mayan Mexico (.01) .01

        I have no clue whether those #'s truly point to Indian heritage or not, as Lucas suggested. I would appreciate any input....including Tomcat's, if you wish to take a stab at this.....

        Thank you!

        Regina
        Last edited by RegRiv; 10 April 2009, 03:13 PM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by RegRiv View Post
          Thanks for your replies, DFK & Rainbow. Regarding DH's heritage; his mother's genealogy goes back 150-200 years to Catholic Italians living in Italy. She assumes she is 100% Italian. And his Dad can go back over 100 years in Mexico. His Dad believes he is 100% Mexican...with a tiny amount of Mayan.

          Regarding my DH's top Syrian match: I intend to read up more on Syria. Since Syria was part of the Roman Empire and was Christian until 636 AD when it was invaded by Arabs. So, it might not be a stretch that my DH has Syrian, vs. Italian, I suppose. (I didn't realize, until now, that St. Luke was originally from Syria. I'd only known about its Arab history.....)

          Btw, here are my husband's Native American results. He clearly is not Mayan, as his father supposed:

          Native American (Minn. USA) (.15) 8.34
          Native American (Minn. USA) (.12) 4.78
          Native American (Minn. USA) (.13) 3.31
          Yucatan Mayan Mexico (.01) .01

          I have no clue whether those #'s truly point to Indian heritage or not, as Lucas suggested. I would appreciate any input....including Tomcat's, if you wish to take a stab at this.....

          Thank you!

          Regina
          I would say that the fact that your husband's Continental match is Mestizo, means he is a mixture of European and NA. In his case, the NA component comes from Mexico, since his father was Mexican. It is also not suprising that he matches those NA tribes in the US, plus the weaker Yucatan Mayan match.

          Comment


          • Derinos, thanks for the information on Chubut. That's very interesting. I just explained it to my husband.

            Juan, I still think it's funny my DH has any Native American...since it was never a consideration. But they are #200+ down his extended tribes report pages....I don't understand how Tribes determined that he could be more than 1/4. I'm wondering if anyone with known Indian history had any similar low readings. Hmm.

            Rainbow, I'm out of town on internet dial-up service. But, I'll check out those digests upon our return.

            I truly appreciate everyone's help trying to sort this out.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by RegRiv View Post
              Derinos, thanks for the information on Chubut. That's very interesting. I just explained it to my husband.

              Juan, I still think it's funny my DH has any Native American...since it was never a consideration. But they are #200+ down his extended tribes report pages....I don't understand how Tribes determined that he could be more than 1/4. I'm wondering if anyone with known Indian history had any similar low readings. Hmm.

              Rainbow, I'm out of town on internet dial-up service. But, I'll check out those digests upon our return.

              I truly appreciate everyone's help trying to sort this out.
              I have no idea how they arrived at that conclusion. I see he has several Latin American matches, maybe to mestizo populations. I guess based on that, or who knows what else, they described his main affiliation as Mestizo. That implies a not so small amount of NA ancestry, I suppose. But Tribes always states their results are not racial percentages. How they determine someone is one fourth of anything is a mystery to me.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by RegRiv View Post
                ....including Tomcat's, if you wish to take a stab at this.....
                Tribes analyses cannot (in my opinion) be taken as defintive for ancestry, especially minor ancestry. The markers are only definitive for identity, the purpose for which they were chosen; the identification of perpetrators, victims, parents and human remains.

                But your husband's results are intriguing and could be taken as confirmation of Native American ancestry, if you choose. The Syrian match could just be a fluke (randomly combine Mexican and Italian and you get a combo that looks Syrian) or an indication that one or the other of the parents had an Eastern Mediterannean component in their past.

                From what region of Italy came your husband's mother?

                Comment


                • I also wanted to point out that your husband's roster of matches sorts into two groups; Eastern Med/Levant and New World Mestizo. And that the top Syrian match is "supported" by lesser matches from the same region and that the similar is true of the Mestizo. So, there is a measure of internal consistency.

                  But, again, as Tribes computations take into account the entire 21-marker/42-allele profile, whatever is "Mexican" in your husband's genetics effects the reading of whatever is "Italian" and vice-versa. The only way around that is by separating the two halves of his profile - by running the profile through a phasing program.

                  Comment


                  • Hi Tomcat. Thanks for your insight. My mother-in-law's father is from Naples region and her mother is from Calabria, in southern Italy.

                    My DH has black/(gray) hair and dark brown eyes. Strangely, whenever we've traveled, people have always questioned his ethnicity. In Italy, he was asked if he was Mediterranean. And Arabs we met abroad insisted he looked Kuwaiti. Someone from India thought he looked East-Indian. He'll tell someone his nationality and where he lives..and they undoubtedly ask where he is "originally" from. I'm thinking maybe it indeed was Syria then. Especially, if as you've noted, that it's supported by other nearby DNA hits (of Oman and Israel). This is quite interesting. And, funny enough, he loves curries & hummus, etc. He's the only one in his family that eats that though!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by tomcat
                      separating the two halves of his profile - by running the profile through a phasing program.
                      Phasing program? Do you mean ensfi or str-list?
                      Last edited by rainbow; 12 April 2009, 06:58 PM.

                      Comment


                      • I think it's amazing that a person who is half Italian and half Mexican gets Syrian as his top match. My top match is also Syrian, but my ancestry is 3/4 Northwest European (mostly from the British Isles) and 1/4 Czechoslovakian. Lucas from DNA Tribes said my str profile is 1/8 to 1/4 Native American, and DNAPrint said I am 17% Native American (which is roughly 1/6). Most of my top 20 global matches are New World Mestizo (mostly Brazil). I forgot about Syria being part of the Roman Empire. I thought I was matching because of maybe Phoenician or from Crusader ancestry.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by rainbow View Post
                          Phasing program? Do you mean ensfi or str-list?
                          No. There are computer programs that phase or separate a bi-allelic profile into two most likely to represent one's parents.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by tomcat View Post
                            No. There are computer programs that phase or separate a bi-allelic profile into two most likely to represent one's parents.
                            That is new to me. I would like to run mine thru a phasing program. Is it being developed or is it already available? What is the link/url?

                            Comment


                            • Would the phasing program be able to tell me if my father is really half Slavic and half Northwest European, or half Slavic and some Amerindian and some NW European, or NW European and Amerindian? My 17% Amerindian would displace either the NW European or the Slavic. If it displaces the Slavic then my real paternal grandfather was someone else. If it displaces the NW European, then it is from my paternal grandmother.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by tomcat View Post
                                No. There are computer programs that phase or separate a bi-allelic profile into two most likely to represent one's parents.
                                There is no point phasing any of the CODIS markers as these all are independent of each other, you need markers to be in linkage to have any purpose.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X