TV series on the DNA of Western Isles of Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV series on the DNA of Western Isles of Scotland

BBC Alba (Scotland) is showing a series on the DNA of the Western Isles of Scotland.

The program is in Scots Gaelic with English subtitles, except for the interviews with Dr. Jim Wilson, who speaks in English.

I don't know about Australia, NZ, Canada, etc., but US television stations do not seem to like foreign language programs, so I don't know if you'll ever see this series in the US.

I believe BBC programs are not available over the Internet outside of the UK, due to the fact that UK residents pay a TV license fee which funds the programs.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...uan_Episode_1/

In the first program, the first of several volunteers was given his results. R1b with no attempt to put him in any subclades.

Very well done, but not advanced enough for you R1b researchers.

Jim
    J1

Bbc

one of the many aspects of life across the pond I love. What we get here are BBC programs packaged for their appeal to the tastes of US audiences. I would not have given up my tv if we had access to programs like Mister Maestro and the weekly unraveling of the the genealogy of a celebrity or the consistent Time Team programs. Several others I found appealing, although I must admit I am not into the dance craze that seems to have everyone. In short, I doubt we would get the program you describe, although the History Channel did some of the the Time Team programs. Loved them.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Honeychuck View Post
      BBC Alba (Scotland) is showing a series on the DNA of the Western Isles of Scotland.

The program is in Scots Gaelic with English subtitles, except for the interviews with Dr. Jim Wilson, who speaks in English.

I don't know about Australia, NZ, Canada, etc., but US television stations do not seem to like foreign language programs, so I don't know if you'll ever see this series in the US.

I believe BBC programs are not available over the Internet outside of the UK, due to the fact that UK residents pay a TV license fee which funds the programs.
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...uan_Episode_1/

In the first program, the first of several volunteers was given his results. R1b with no attempt to put him in any subclades.

Very well done, but not advanced enough for you R1b researchers.

Jim
      J1
      I think I will take a look. My surname is said to be from the Hebrides.... although I doubt my family is from there. Probably from the West coast of mainland Scotland.

Comment

Speaking of Time Team, tonight's episode was a dig on a high hill in the extreme northeast of Ireland, within sight of Scotland (on a clear day).

http://www.channel4.com/history/micr...009/index.html

Nothing about DNA. But the matching of flint implements there and across the water was a good reminder that the people of these islands were in frequent contact with each other.

Regards,
        Jim

Comment

We might get the BBC Alba show here in Oz on our ABC, (National Broadcaster) or maybe on our SBS Channel that does foreign language.
          It will probbly be a long wait though.
          I think SBS had "Meet the Ancestors" yers ago, and they also show "Who do you think you are", "Top Gear", "Lost Worlds" etc.
          We get "Time Team" on the ABC once a week, and probably a few years behind the UK, though most of the regular shows are off for Summer.

Comment

I realize

There really isn't a good pouty face in the lexicon. I need a pouty face for:

I want Time Team.

Comment

I'm on vacation, the laptop I'm using doesn't have all of the bells and whistles, so I can not check for you.

Go to quicksilverscreen.com to find ALL kinds of documentaries.

I've watched ton[nes] of BBC Program[mes] on it.

It is free, but there is a need to download some of the access features.

Once there, just use the various header tabs to search either by title or alphabetically.

Originally posted by Deirwha View Post
              There really isn't a good pouty face in the lexicon. I need a pouty face for:

I want Time Team.

Comment

very interesting

I have McDonalds from S. Uist and Benbecula (suspect the latter of being merely their port of departure), and McPhails from either N. Uist or Harris, depending on who says so.
                I would love to be able to see the BBS shows esp. wdytya and Time Team-my father was an anthro. and archeo., and though I know longer heft shovel or shake screen, I am ever fascinated by it. I think I have seen it, either on PBS or the History channel...or NG...there was one about a mass burial during the plague? is that the Time Team? another about an early brick manufacture. those of course are historical archealogy, but one was about an early Norman settlement, which is borderline as it crossed from prehistoric to historic.
                I'm unable to test on my McD's and McP's, except for some x chromosome and can't afford any more tests for at least a year-dentist bill's totalled our finances.
                any way, they left the Uists around 1815-1825 for NS, settled in River Dennis and Whycocomagh, then moving to the Port Morein (Cow Bay at the time) and Sydney area. they were Presbytarians and miners. can't find much at all on them.

Comment

In Episode 2 of this series, another man received his Y-DNA results, but the haplogroup was not named.

Jim

Comment

In Episode 2 of this series, another man received his Y-DNA results, but the haplogroup was not named.

Jim
                    Would be interesting if they named it. See what he came out as. Probably an R1b1b2 of some description.

Comment

Originally posted by spruithean View Post
                      Would be interesting if they named it. See what he came out as. Probably an R1b1b2 of some description.
                      I don't think so. Don't mean to sound like a quiz show host, but his type:

-- Spent the Ice Age in the Balkans

-- Spread north to become the most common type in northern Germany

-- Is also found in Denmark and southern Sweden

-- May have come to Britain in the Bronze Age, but could also have been brought by Danish Vikings or Anglo-Saxons

-- Is now 7% of the Y-DNA in the Western Isles of Scotland

No prize for guessing the right answer, because offhand I don't know what it is.

Jim

Comment

I don't think so. Don't mean to sound like a quiz show host, but his type:

-- Spent the Ice Age in the Balkans

-- Spread north to become the most common type in northern Germany

-- Is also found in Denmark and southern Sweden

-- May have come to Britain in the Bronze Age, but could also have been brought by Danish Vikings or Anglo-Saxons

-- Is now 7% of the Y-DNA in the Western Isles of Scotland

No prize for guessing the right answer, because offhand I don't know what it is.

Jim
                        Could it be Haplogroup I1 or I2?

Comment

Can't be I2, must be I1.

Comment

What about the old I1c clade...

I can't remember what the new name is

Comment

I wish we could get this in Canada -- my GGG grandfather was from Islay.

Do they go into mtDNA at all?

Comment

Working...
                              X