X chromosome ancestry testing: Selecting the right candidate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kathleen Carrow View Post
    ... I seem to have Danish matches or matches with folks who have Danish heritage..and I have not identitfied that myself..except for the unknown Grandfather...
    In this instance the autosomal portion of a genome scan might be more useful than the X, as a paternal grandfather would not have contributed anything on the X chromosome. You only get a reading on the paternal grandmother and her lines.

With the autosomal SNP's you would have a read on each of the two grandfather's lines - paternal great-grandfather and paternal great-grandmother with the same percentage reads on the maternal lines. If the paternal great-grandparents were ethnically identical and ethnically different from the maternal great-grandparents that might be enough to reach a determination of paternal ancestry.

Comment

DKF
      An important piece of it it seeems ( to me anyway) is a place to display the X haploblock that is easily visual to others..
      My X matches have actually posted in e-mails and I have responded to them without actually seeing the match.. too much text in our messages I guess..
      Maybe a separate table for the Blocks..and then LATER on a Geographic area where tentatively identified Haploblocks could be placed..
      example is :
      I seem to have Danish matches or matches with folks who have Danish heritage..and I have not identitfied that myself..except for the unknown Grandfather..
      Hope I was clear about that..
      All of the blocks I have investigated have been placed in Excel files uploaded to my website as htm. People can see the haploblocks (I have color coded the different ones) and I place the person's X ancestry beside the haploblock. All identical haploblocks are grouped together. This is the only way to see patterns emerge.

There are a number of good ways to chose blocks for study. Among the best is to examine the 23andme raw data from the X in females (who have two copies) for areas where they are homozygous (e.g., CC GG TT etc.) which would mean that their mother and father had identical haploblocks. Kathy J did this to identify her 65 marker block now under active scrutiny. Jim T has developed a program to search the X data in Ben M's 23andme database for matches above 50 markers. In this way he showed that myself and another in the database share exact SNPs over a 10 million base pair block. Hence this block may be informative back to ancient times, not recent times, since the X ancestors of my match are from southern and eastern Europe and mine are primarly from northwestern Europe. Actually we might learn from this that this is a block best avoided since it is likely to be a very ancient one that may well hark back to the few "Out of Africa" ancestors. Other blocks would be better candidates for study to reflect more recent periods in time. We are really just in early infancy here at this point in time - lots of scope for learning new things.

Comment

Originally posted by Maria_W View Post
        Count me in for the X files! Couldn't resist!

Maria
        Maria, do your NA ancestors appear on Blaine's fan chart and hence are candidates for making an appearance on one of your X chromosomes? This is one of the few instances in genealogy and genetics where zig zagging back and forth between female and male ancestors will be beneficial (reducing the number of crossover events and so bringing you closer to certain ancestors who happen to fall within the "X parameters"). It is essential to remember that a father's father breaks the chain. As a male I did not receive any contribution at all from my father on the X chromosome - only mother (but not her father's father so my Shetland Islands ancestry will not be found on my X despite my mother's surname).

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat View Post
          In this instance the autosomal portion of a genome scan might be more useful than the X, as a paternal grandfather would not have contributed anything on the X chromosome. You only get a reading on the paternal grandmother and her lines.

With the autosomal SNP's you would have a read on each of the two grandfather's lines - paternal great-grandfather and paternal great-grandmother with the same percentage reads on the maternal lines. If the paternal great-grandparents were ethnically identical and ethnically different from the maternal great-grandparents that might be enough to reach a determination of paternal ancestry.
          Of course you are correct I keep forgetting that Dad's father will Not show up in my X haploblock..

Autosomal SNPS? that would be from 23andme or a full genome scan?
          My autosomal are STRS? IS that correct?

Comment

Don't understand the fan chart....

My mothers Potowomeke ancestry.

1. 4/4 Full blood Nemattanon Weroance
            + 4/4 Full blood Spouse's native name missing
            2. 4/4 Full blood Japasaw Weroance
            + 4/4 Full blood Paupauwiske
            3. 4/4 Full blood Wahangonoche Weroance
            + 4/4 Full blood Spouse's native name missing.
            4. 4/4 Full blood Spouses native name missing. Mary (Christian name)
            + Henry Meese
            5. 1/2 blood Native name missing. Christian name missing. Last name Meese
            + John William Waugh
            6. 1/4 John William Waugh
            + Martha Mottershead
            7. 1/8 William Waugh
            + Margaret Tyler
            8. 1/16 John Waugh
            + Margaret Mauzy
            9. 1/32 John Lewis Waugh
            + Sarah Hall
            10. 1/64 Charles Waugh
            I think this is where we are white like a ghost and these numbers don't really count for anything !
            + Nancy Kennedy
            11. 1/128 Charles Emery Waugh
            + Harriet Hester Emdle McCoy Faulkner
            12. 1/256 Edith Mae Waugh
            + Samual Herber Boyer
            13. 1/512 Ermil Audreine Boyer
            + Thomas Odell Wilson
            14. 1/1024 Audrey Jeanne Wilson
            + Eugene Edward Shook
            15. 1/2048 Maria Theresa Shook
            + Randolph Orrin Walters
            16. 1/4096 Sheryl Ann Walters 1/4096 Crystal Jennifer Walters
            + David Daune Vanderveer
            17. 1/8192 Dana Cheyenne Vanderveer

Not sure how to figure out Blaines X chart!!

Comment

Originally posted by Maria_W View Post
              My mothers Potowomeke ancestry.

17. 1/8192 Dana Cheyenne Vanderveer

Not sure how to figure out Blaines X chart!!
              The only way I see to do it is to make a Fan Chart from your own database and write the percentages from his chart on your own fan chart..I am still trying to figure out how to do that..

Comment

... Autosomal SNPS? that would be from 23andme or a full genome scan? My autosomal are STRS? IS that correct?
                Both 23andMe and DeCodeMe are called genome SCANS because they selectively read SNP's across the genome rather than sequencing the entire genome. Both sample Y, X, and Mt but the greatest number of SNP's seq'd come from the 22 autosomal chromosomes.

Comment

New X Chromosome Forum

Hello all fellow X addicts, those for whom "The X Files" means a great new way to explore both deep and recent ancestry. The new forum hosted by World Families is ready to go. Here is some info and a link to the new site:

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.co...-01/1232408407

Please join myself and a very diverse group of interested folk entering this brave new world of DNA ancestry testing. You may be entering uncharted territory, but that is part of the fun. I have already reaped substantial rewards with this form of research, and hopefully over the next few months many of you will also be able to say much the same.

Comment

Well,

I've tried to log into the forum for the X files.

I've already got an ID for ancestry.com, which was the way I was able to get to the forum.

I tried to see where I could leave a post, and didn't find anything, except a place that said to log in.

I attempted to "log in" and it said that it did not recognize me.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Originally posted by DKF View Post
                    Hello all fellow X addicts, those for whom "The X Files" means a great new way to explore both deep and recent ancestry. The new forum hosted by World Families is ready to go. Here is some info and a link to the new site:

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.co...-01/1232408407

Please join myself and a very diverse group of interested folk entering this brave new world of DNA ancestry testing. You may be entering uncharted territory, but that is part of the fun. I have already reaped substantial rewards with this form of research, and hopefully over the next few months many of you will also be able to say much the same.

Comment

me too

I logged in to the X-Forum using the same ID & password I use for the U5 Forum, etc. I suggest that you check the "stay logged on" box.

U5b2 (11653G) & R1a1a*

Comment

Originally posted by rucksack View Post
                        Well,

I've tried to log into the forum for the X files.

I've already got an ID for ancestry.com, which was the way I was able to get to the forum.

I tried to see where I could leave a post, and didn't find anything, except a place that said to log in.

I attempted to "log in" and it said that it did not recognize me.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
                        I think the problem is that you are not at the World Families.net site. At the bottom of the link I gave is the URL that will take you to WF. It has nothing to do with Ancestry.com.

Comment

Posted at WorldFamilies. So glad I never have to struggle with DNA Forums' onerous security, or whatever it is - belief in their own specialness, refusal to grant access to people like me? I have dumped the email with my last log-in verification.

Comment

World Families STR Chart

WOW check it out~!
                            World Families Forum on X markers has added 106 datasets of the STR markers..
                            Thanks to Ghost X who is doing an awesome job.
                            Everyone should check it out..

Comment

Someday, some version of this fascinating analytical technique may be applied to whole genome scans to disclose relatedness:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0128160833.htm

Comment

For those interested in the X chromosome, there is a second site where you can post your results and explore X-based relatedness:

http://www.worldfamilies.net/forum/i...p?board=2222.0

Also remember to post at: www.dna-fingerprint.com

FTDNA offers two panels of X STR markers under Advanced Tests. The three markers, DXS10074, 10075, 10079 are linked and are the most important to test.

The WorldFamilies site also accepts X SNP's from 23andMe and DeCodeMe.

Comment

Working...
                                X