X chromosome ancestry testing: Selecting the right candidate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As hard as the military...

We spent 21 years in the Air Force, and this was as hard as the security in the military....Tryed every combo I could think of...Quite frustrating...I finally gave up monthes ago. Oh even tryed for new account too. Then last night I decided to try new account again, got in...These time I am writing down my info so this won't happen again....

Maria

Comment

me newbie

I recently joined the dna-forums.org, and the only trouble I had was when I used an alternate browser. So I had to join again on that particular browser. But I haven't checked today yet.

R1a1a & U5b2

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat View Post
        Thought you were Canadian Mohawk? Canadian Mohawk were clients of the French who were enemies of the south-of-the-Saint-Lawrence-Mohawk (NY state). Was the Canadian branch even part of the Iroquois Confederacy?
        The Mohawks of Ontario (my home Province) are descendants of those who fought with the British in the American Revolution (except the Mohawks of Gibson who are an offshoot from Kanesatake, Quebec). All were members of the Church of England (as most are to this day). Those who followed Capt. John Deserontyon were given land at Tyendinaga (near Kingston) Ontario. Those who followed Capt Joseph Brant were given lands along the Grand River near Brantford Ontario. I have ancestors who settled at both locations but most of my grandmother's family resided in the latter place (where I lived before moving to California). My Mohawk and German ancestors (the latter being given land on the Rez due to intermarriage) were all Loyalists and were settled in their new homes by 1784.

You are thinking of the Kanawaki, Akwesasne and Kanesatake Mohawks of Quebec who migrated from the Mohawk Valley in the 1600s to reside with the French. Whole other group, but presumably pretty much the same X DNA - one might assume.

Comment

Originally posted by Kathleen Carrow View Post
          I just tried to re-register..it did not even budge..

Something about me? it must be an elite little group but then why post the link to it?

Again..it will not even let me READ the X thread.. WOW talk about security..
          I had a bit of a "tiff" with some members of this group (largely in relation to my moderating the R-U152 subforum) and I bailed. Some of us are exploring options with another group who have offered to provide webspace and some perks so that we can set up a study group there for us X addicts - where we can upload material, post links to important papers, and chat about what this or that means. Will keep all posted on developments here.

Comment

Originally posted by DKF View Post
            I had a bit of a "tiff" with some members of this group (largely in relation to my moderating the R-U152 subforum) and I bailed. Some of us are exploring options with another group who have offered to provide webspace and some perks so that we can set up a study group there for us X addicts - where we can upload material, post links to important papers, and chat about what this or that means. Will keep all posted on developments here.

Thank you! That would be absolutely super..we could maybe link to the X database or even start another one..
            I believe the X markers and haploblocks are significant.Tom Krahn told me way back when that the Haploblock could someday be "almost" as meaningful as the Y haploblock.We are now in it's infancy however..

Comment

New X group

DKF, Please keep me in mind for this new group.

I tried to PM you here, but it does not work, seems to have been disabled.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Kathleen Carrow View Post
                Thank you! That would be absolutely super..we could maybe link to the X database or even start another one..
                I believe the X markers and haploblocks are significant.Tom Krahn told me way back when that the Haploblock could someday be "almost" as meaningful as the Y haploblock.We are now in it's infancy however..
                Kathleen:

The organization of the group is now underway. A moderator has been selected and some of the details framed in. We will be welcoming the participation of everyone at whatever level (newbie to expert) - and all aspects of X chromosome research will be included (SNPs, STRs etc.).

Will let everyone know when this thing is ready to rock and roll. Should be a great ride. Yes, this area of study is all very new and so some important discoveries could be made.

Comment

Originally posted by rucksack View Post
                  DKF, Please keep me in mind for this new group.

I tried to PM you here, but it does not work, seems to have been disabled.

Thanks.
                  rucksack: Yes, I will make a point of inviting all of the folks here to join us in this quest. I think that the first thing that people need to do is to go to a chart and see which ancestors are and which are not going to be found on the X. Both Jim Turner and Blaine Bettinger have developed charts which will show the percentage contribution of each of these ancestors (of course recalling that this is only statistical, the actual amount could be anywhere between zero and 100% - the latter less likely than the former due to recombination).

Here is Blaine's most up to date fan chart: http://www.thegeneticgenealogist.com...mosome-charts/

Comment

Kathleen:

The organization of the group is now underway. A moderator has been selected and some of the details framed in. We will be welcoming the participation of everyone at whatever level (newbie to expert) - and all aspects of X chromosome research will be included (SNPs, STRs etc.).

Will let everyone know when this thing is ready to rock and roll. Should be a great ride. Yes, this area of study is all very new and so some important discoveries could be made.
                    Wonderful! Thank you..can't wait..most of us are midway between Newbie and expert I think

Comment

??? RE X testing

I may be interested in having my "X" tested, but have to be convinced that I'll find some useful information out of it. I wouldn't be using to to compare with anyone else in my family. I just would like to see what population it comes from. There would be a 50% chance that it comes from my mysterious Austrian side. The other 50% would be from lines of UK/western EU. So, is it worth the money? Do I receive a clear interpretation with my results?

U5b2 & R1a1a

Comment

PDHOTLEN,

If you are a male your single X chromosome came to you from your mother and is a recombined product of the two X chromosomes she possessed. One of her X's came from her father and one from her mother. And so on back into history (by following the links in this thread you can download some PDF's that show the X inheritance patterns). Hence any information to be derived from your single X will refer exclusively to your maternal lines. (To learn what you may about paternal lines you would need to test a sister, your father or other relatives on the paternal side. The PDF's can help you select appropriate candidates for testing).

None of the companies offering X chromosome results offer "interpretations". FTDNA/DNAF offer a matching database where one may compare a handful of X STR's with others who have tested. Both DeCodeMe and 23andMe offer degree of sharing databases in which one's X results are scored against populations for which X results are available.* Both offer the opportunity to share results with other testees.

It is all VERY EXPLORATORY at this stage. The X study group DKF is forming is simply that, a study group.

*DeCodeMe has a comprehensive database of Icelandic DNA. Both companies rely on data collected by the Human Genome Diversity Project (HGDP) and the French Center for the Study of Human Populations (CEPH). And both mine the database of testees for insights. More population studies are likely forthcoming and additional ancestry-informative X SNP's may be discovered.
                        Last edited by tomcat; 17th January 2009, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Thanx for reply

I forgot about the recombination function. So that would mean that, like Tomcat said, my single X is a 50/50 blend of my Austrian line and my American Colonial line. Maybe I'll just skip that X test for now.

U5b2 & R1a1a*

Comment

X files...

Count me in for the X files! Couldn't resist!

Maria

Comment

maybe

Although I can't see a need for me to have my X tested, I may just do it to contribute the info to the greater cause. But no hurry.

U5b2 (11653G) & R1a1a*

Comment

Kathleen:

DKF
                                An important piece of it it seeems ( to me anyway) is a place to display the X haploblock that is easily visual to others..
                                My X matches have actually posted in e-mails and I have responded to them without actually seeing the match.. too much text in our messages I guess..
                                Maybe a separate table for the Blocks..and then LATER on a Geographic area where tentatively identified Haploblocks could be placed..
                                example is :
                                I seem to have Danish matches or matches with folks who have Danish heritage..and I have not identitfied that myself..except for the unknown Grandfather..
                                Hope I was clear about that..

Comment

Working...
                                X