• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McCray
    replied
    Originally posted by spruithean View Post
    Hi,

Are there any clues in the book you found for your grandfather?

In that book I noticed Leonard F. McCray is listed as being the son of Sarah "Sadie" McCray and William McCray. Perhaps McCray was given to William because they couldn't find his surname???

Have you tried contacting your matches? Or tried figuring out where their families are from? How far their family was from your Sarah "Sadie" McCray and Leonard?

Hope you can get past this brickwall
    I wish I knew where the William McCray was from, I assume they put McCray because they didn't know, William maybe just put there because the fact that Leonard was born out of wedlock may have been a secret they were trying to keep. There is very little filled out in the baby book, other than the family tree. Unfortunately my grandfather died in 1978 at age 42, and the only other descendant of Leonard still alive already gave me all she knew, that Leonard's mother Sadie she had heard lived on Linden Street in Springfield. She pointed me in the direction of Sadie being Leonard's mother, but she knows nothing else.

I tried to contact my IRONS 37 marker GD2 match, however never got a response. It looks like his line was from Maryland, though.

Leave a comment:

• spruithean
    replied
    Hi,

Are there any clues in the book you found for your grandfather?

In that book I noticed Leonard F. McCray is listed as being the son of Sarah "Sadie" McCray and William McCray. Perhaps McCray was given to William because they couldn't find his surname???

Have you tried contacting your matches? Or tried figuring out where their families are from? How far their family was from your Sarah "Sadie" McCray and Leonard?

Hope you can get past this brickwall

Leave a comment:

• McCray
    replied
    Hi all.

I have looked around for some of the names, but have found nothing conclusive.

I'm really not sure of any way to find who my great grandfather's father could have been. With the almost certain confirmation that his mother was the McCray, I'm not sure how I could come up with an exact father, wouldn't know if I came across it.

Not sure if there was a 1905 Massachusetts Census that I could use. Leonard was born in 1905, right in the middle of the 1900 and 1910 censuses, and anything could've happened to his father between those years. If anyone has any ideas as to how to better search for his father/my paternal great great grandfather, please let me know.

Chris

Leave a comment:

• bob armstrong
    replied
    Originally posted by Kathleen Carrow View Post
    Irons/Hirons is who I might suspect..do any of them have 67 markers?Did I ask that before?
    Sorry to butt in, but I noticed your ref to Irons. Some months ago I watched a TV series here in England on BBC called "Who Do You Think You Are?" . One episode featured the actor Jeremy Irons. He appeared very English on the surface, but had lived in Ireland in recent years. When the investigators traced his roots they revealed that his ancestors lived within a short distance of his supposed adopted home!
    The memory isn't functioning well enough to recall all the story, but the locals all remembered his family.
    Hope this is of interest
    Cheers
    Bob

Leave a comment:

• spruithean
    replied
    Chris,

Have you searched for any of your surname matches with the name William? Perhaps a William O'Brien or William McGraw or something along those lines? William didn't marry Sarah "Sadie" McCray correct? How many markers does each of your matches have?

spruithean

Leave a comment:

• spruithean
    replied
    I'm sure you have seen his Death record.

Search familysearch.org for Leonard McCray b. 1905 +/-1905 in all countries and you can find his death record... I'm sure you've seen it many times.

Have you posted anything on GenForum? On the McCray Forum on GenForum? Asking about Leonard McCray?

His father was given as just Unknown McCrea??

Leave a comment:

• McCray
    replied
    When was Leonard born?? if you know when was Sarah "Sadie" McCray born? and where?
    Leonard was born on August 21, 1905 at the New England Hospital for Women and Children in Boston/Roxbury,MA. Mother was listed as Sarah McCrea of Springfield, father unknown. No first name was given, just "McCrea", however August 21, 1905 is his D.O.B in the SSDI as well.

As far as I know, Sadie/Sarah never lived in Roxbury but just went there for the hospital. There are other women on the page that have children with father listed as unknown, at the same hospital.

She always lived in Springfield(,MA), as did Leonard (however he never lived with his Sadie). Her parents were Henry McCRAY and Sarah BURKE. Henry's parents were Dr. Lathrop McCRAY and Delia OWEN. Henry lived in Springfield/West Springfield, and his parents moved around - born in CT.

The 1905 Springfield Directory is not online, the nearest is 1910. I'll have to check at the Springfield City Library to view who was living near Sadie. I recall recently checking but finding nothing of great interest. I'll search nearby addresses next time.

Leave a comment:

• spruithean
    replied
    When was Leonard born?? if you know when was Sarah "Sadie" McCray born? and where?

Leave a comment:

• spruithean
    replied
    Originally posted by McCray View Post
    I match the major Irish Type III surnames, especially O'Brien, at the 25 marker level (exact). Others include Butler (exact), and my closest 37-Marker match - GD 2, Irons.
    Well you could say that your paternal line is from Ireland...

Not sure if I I've asked this before. But what families are living near Sarah "Sadie" McCray (McCrea) at the time of Leonard's birth?

Leave a comment:

• Kathleen Carrow
    replied
    I match the major Irish Type III surnames, especially O'Brien, at the 25 marker level (exact). Others include Butler (exact), and my closest 37-Marker match - GD 2, Irons.
    Irons/Hirons is who I might suspect..do any of them have 67 markers?Did I ask that before?

Leave a comment:

• McCray
    replied
    Hmm. A lot of the time people born out of wedlock take on their mothers name.

For example In my family research I have found the daughter of one of my ancestors sisters carrying the McNeill surname but her father wasn't a McNeill obviously. We suspect we know who her father is. Just we can't prove it.

What other surnames do you match?? and how close?

Leave a comment:

• spruithean
    replied
    Hmm. A lot of the time people born out of wedlock take on their mothers name.

For example In my family research I have found the daughter of one of my ancestors sisters carrying the McNeill surname but her father wasn't a McNeill obviously. We suspect we know who her father is. Just we can't prove it.

What other surnames do you match?? and how close?

Leave a comment:

• McCray
    replied
    Might it be that the line is Douglas McCray s/o Leonard McCray s/o William McCray?

Since its the tree of you grandfather Douglas then its his tree, and wouldn't William McCray listed be his grandfather (Leonard's father?).

Perhaps they did the same not giving the maiden name to the McCray side. Not giving Sarah "Sadie" her maiden name. All though you had said that on records she is Sarah "Sadie" McCray.

Also what about Leonard being born out of wedlock???

Hope you can figure this stuff out.
    Based on all of the information I found, it looks like it was Sadie/Sarah that was Leonard's mother. Her maiden name was McCray, she was never married, and lived with her brothers/sisters her whole life. She is listed as Sarah on her birth and death records, but Sadie on the censuses and Sadie or Sarah in the city directories.

Wedlock looks like a good possibility, on the birth record for Leonard it says FATHER: Unknown MOTHER: Sarah McCrea.

I'm not sure where the William in the baby book came from, it is in the place for Leonard's father.

I also just found that Sadie's sister Minnie (Mary) McCray had an illegitimate child, born in Springfield on 15 Sept 1885. No father listed, the child was named William McCray.

Leave a comment:

• spruithean
    replied
    Sorry for the amount of time to respond, yes I did get the images, thanks!

This is the book of my grandfather, Douglas, the left side his mother the right his father Leonard (for whom I've been searching for his father). Yes, I think it's just the way the tree was written (it was either Leonard or his wife Eva Martin that wrote it). They didn't write the womens' maiden names: i.e. the martins on the left side are ALL "Martin", no maiden names, the same for the right side. I have no idea where the William came from. I suppose it is possible that Leonard's parents were cousins or something.
    Might it be that the line is Douglas McCray s/o Leonard McCray s/o William McCray?

Since its the tree of you grandfather Douglas then its his tree, and wouldn't William McCray listed be his grandfather (Leonard's father?).

Perhaps they did the same not giving the maiden name to the McCray side. Not giving Sarah "Sadie" her maiden name. All though you had said that on records she is Sarah "Sadie" McCray.

Also what about Leonard being born out of wedlock???

Hope you can figure this stuff out.
    Last edited by spruithean; 14 January 2009, 05:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• McCray
    replied
    Originally posted by diananel View Post
    Hi Chris,
    I did send you images of the pages. Can you let me know if you received them. I have a strange email that sometimes ends up in the spam folder.
    Diana
    Sorry for the amount of time to respond, yes I did get the images, thanks!

After looking at that picture. I noticed something. This book is the tree of your McCray grandfather. I might be wrong. Possibly not understanding the picture but it appears that William McCray and Sarah "Sadie" McCray are the parents of Leonard McCray.
    This is the book of my grandfather, Douglas, the left side his mother the right his father Leonard (for whom I've been searching for his father). Yes, I think it's just the way the tree was written (it was either Leonard or his wife Eva Martin that wrote it). They didn't write the womens' maiden names: i.e. the martins on the left side are ALL "Martin", no maiden names, the same for the right side. I have no idea where the William came from. I suppose it is possible that Leonard's parents were cousins or something.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X