X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spruithean
    FTDNA Customer
    • Dec 2008

When was Leonard born?? if you know when was Sarah "Sadie" McCray born? and where?

Comment

• McCray
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by spruithean View Post
      When was Leonard born?? if you know when was Sarah "Sadie" McCray born? and where?
      Leonard was born on August 21, 1905 at the New England Hospital for Women and Children in Boston/Roxbury,MA. Mother was listed as Sarah McCrea of Springfield, father unknown. No first name was given, just "McCrea", however August 21, 1905 is his D.O.B in the SSDI as well.

As far as I know, Sadie/Sarah never lived in Roxbury but just went there for the hospital. There are other women on the page that have children with father listed as unknown, at the same hospital.

She always lived in Springfield(,MA), as did Leonard (however he never lived with his Sadie). Her parents were Henry McCRAY and Sarah BURKE. Henry's parents were Dr. Lathrop McCRAY and Delia OWEN. Henry lived in Springfield/West Springfield, and his parents moved around - born in CT.

The 1905 Springfield Directory is not online, the nearest is 1910. I'll have to check at the Springfield City Library to view who was living near Sadie. I recall recently checking but finding nothing of great interest. I'll search nearby addresses next time.

Comment

• spruithean
        FTDNA Customer
        • Dec 2008

I'm sure you have seen his Death record.

Search familysearch.org for Leonard McCray b. 1905 +/-1905 in all countries and you can find his death record... I'm sure you've seen it many times.

Have you posted anything on GenForum? On the McCray Forum on GenForum? Asking about Leonard McCray?

His father was given as just Unknown McCrea??

Comment

• spruithean
          FTDNA Customer
          • Dec 2008

Chris,

Have you searched for any of your surname matches with the name William? Perhaps a William O'Brien or William McGraw or something along those lines? William didn't marry Sarah "Sadie" McCray correct? How many markers does each of your matches have?

spruithean

Comment

• bob armstrong
            FTDNA Customer
            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Kathleen Carrow View Post
            Irons/Hirons is who I might suspect..do any of them have 67 markers?Did I ask that before?
            Sorry to butt in, but I noticed your ref to Irons. Some months ago I watched a TV series here in England on BBC called "Who Do You Think You Are?" . One episode featured the actor Jeremy Irons. He appeared very English on the surface, but had lived in Ireland in recent years. When the investigators traced his roots they revealed that his ancestors lived within a short distance of his supposed adopted home!
            The memory isn't functioning well enough to recall all the story, but the locals all remembered his family.
            Hope this is of interest
            Cheers
            Bob

Comment

• McCray
              • Nov 2008

Hi all.

I have looked around for some of the names, but have found nothing conclusive.

I'm really not sure of any way to find who my great grandfather's father could have been. With the almost certain confirmation that his mother was the McCray, I'm not sure how I could come up with an exact father, wouldn't know if I came across it.

Not sure if there was a 1905 Massachusetts Census that I could use. Leonard was born in 1905, right in the middle of the 1900 and 1910 censuses, and anything could've happened to his father between those years. If anyone has any ideas as to how to better search for his father/my paternal great great grandfather, please let me know.

Chris

Comment

• spruithean
                FTDNA Customer
                • Dec 2008

Hi,

Are there any clues in the book you found for your grandfather?

In that book I noticed Leonard F. McCray is listed as being the son of Sarah "Sadie" McCray and William McCray. Perhaps McCray was given to William because they couldn't find his surname???

Have you tried contacting your matches? Or tried figuring out where their families are from? How far their family was from your Sarah "Sadie" McCray and Leonard?

Hope you can get past this brickwall

Comment

• McCray
                  • Nov 2008

Originally posted by spruithean View Post
                  Hi,

Are there any clues in the book you found for your grandfather?

In that book I noticed Leonard F. McCray is listed as being the son of Sarah "Sadie" McCray and William McCray. Perhaps McCray was given to William because they couldn't find his surname???

Have you tried contacting your matches? Or tried figuring out where their families are from? How far their family was from your Sarah "Sadie" McCray and Leonard?

Hope you can get past this brickwall
                  I wish I knew where the William McCray was from, I assume they put McCray because they didn't know, William maybe just put there because the fact that Leonard was born out of wedlock may have been a secret they were trying to keep. There is very little filled out in the baby book, other than the family tree. Unfortunately my grandfather died in 1978 at age 42, and the only other descendant of Leonard still alive already gave me all she knew, that Leonard's mother Sadie she had heard lived on Linden Street in Springfield. She pointed me in the direction of Sadie being Leonard's mother, but she knows nothing else.

I tried to contact my IRONS 37 marker GD2 match, however never got a response. It looks like his line was from Maryland, though.

Comment

Working...
                  X