Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, spruithean Browser trouble.

Originally posted by derinos View Post
    "Bede implies the strength of the old British kingdom of Dumbarton when he refers to it as "Bede implies the strength of the old British kingdom of Dumbarton when he refers to it as
    POINT? That Brythonic speaking people stayed on in Scotland as neighbors while the Irish Scotti were populating Scotland elsewhere to the North-West; modern DNA findings can be expected to reflect this as Irish-Scottish-Welsh descent.

"This might of the Strathclyders is shown by Nora Chadwick (Celtic Britain, 39) who reports that "Bede implies the strength of the old British kingdom of Dumbarton when he refers to it as

Comment

Oops mac is mc - i didn't know!

Originally posted by jambalaia32 View Post
      to kilrush,
      i'm not an expert ,but i heard a lot of things.like for one, i had a neighbor who 'looked like a highlander' to me ,and he told my mom he was "scotch-irish".

When i said "highlander",that usually means scotland and not ireland.

Also , i read in a baby-name book,titled "the melting pot book of baby names,by connie lockhart ellefson, that a scotch-irish is a person who is scottish and lives in ireland. "because 200,000 scottish people had been encouraged to to settle in northern ireland,by the british government in the first half of the 17th century'-that's what this book says.

Also the surname mac is always scottish, while mc as in mcdonald is almost always irish,and is pronounced as ma not mac. At least that's what hollywood entertainer jenny mccarthy informed the public about how her surname is pronounced. So as far as we know mac is not mc-one is scottish and the other is irish.
      oops, i made a mistake -i incorrectly said that 'mc' was not 'mac' but that was a misquote. I learned today that 'mc' is an abbreviation of 'mac'. As the 'mc" originally came from scotland as 'mac'.but til today i had never heard of that-i looked it up online. One site, http://www.family-crests.com/family-...names.html-22k

Comment

Mac is MC

Gee, I know I sound DUMB-B, gosh-sorry!

Comment

Perhaps your ancestors were part of the "plantation of Northern Ireland" by James I? Mine are.

Comment

Originally posted by Jambalaia32 View Post
            the 'mc" originally came from scotland as 'mac'
            Jambalaia32:

This word, however you spell it, means "son of" in both Irish and Scots Gaelic. Sometimes, in Ireland, names beginning with Mac or Mc will be native, and at other times they will point to Scottish origin. It's not always that easy to say where the name arose, take for example McDonnell, which could come from either place.

Also look up the term "Gallowglass," it gives some insight into the difficulty of telling apart Irish and Scottish sometimes.

Comment

Some of my ancestors were from Northern Ireland. They were Ulster Scots, also known as Scots-Irish.

Northern Ireland was settled, starting in the 1600s, by the English (their religion was Anglican. Known as Episcopalian in the USA), and by the Scottish (they were Presbyterian).

The native Irish population was Catholic.

Many Scots were burned out of their homes in Scotland and were forced to move to Northern Ireland. Some went to America and Canada.

If anyone wants to read more about the Scots, google "Lowland Clearances"
              and the "Highland Clearances" and "border reivers".
              Last edited by rainbow; 7 December 2010, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X