X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yaffa
    replied
    Originally posted by Deirwha
    i noticed your included this next to your r1b. i know the meaning of the term and have encountered it on ysearch also with a "finder" that is 4 gd from me on 25 markers. I am woondering how who determined when the label fit and the rationale? if anyone out there happens to know.
    People put Ashkenazi with their DNA results to let people know they are descendants of the European practicing Jews. The Sephardic are the Spanish. There are also Chinese, African, etc Jews. Each practices sligtly differently. The European Ashkenazi Jews speak Yiddish which is a cross between German and Hebrew. The Sephardic speak a cross between Spanish and Hebrew, etc. Some of these people may also speak just Hebrew.

Leave a comment:

• tomcat
    replied
    I use the Ashkenazi appellation because my father was Ashkenazi. Both his parents were Jews from Ukraine, born in Ukraine, married in Ukraine, emigrated to Canada. Those who have their Y results in FTDNA's db have the option of tagging their results with their known ethnicity. Makes it easier, no?

Leave a comment:

• Deirwha
    replied
    ashkenazi

i noticed your included this next to your r1b. i know the meaning of the term and have encountered it on ysearch also with a "finder" that is 4 gd from me on 25 markers. I am woondering how who determined when the label fit and the rationale? if anyone out there happens to know.

Leave a comment:

• tomcat
    replied
    Sure. Although a father's X came from his mother and was a recombined product of her two X's she received from her parents. So, in order to get a firm read on the non-Euro ancestry both maternal grandparents ought to have been of that ancestry.

I am not sure how a testing company would intergrate the X data into a calculation of ancestry (such as a percentage) but X like Y and Mt data could be added to autosomal data to get a more reliable read on ancestry.

Leave a comment:

• Starr173
    replied
    Originally posted by tomcat
    Yes, the X Chr. is a sex chromosome and is classed outside the autosome but the X Chr. acts like the autosomal chromosomes in that it recombines. But that occurs only in women during ovogenesis when their two X's recombine. Normally, only one X of the two women have is active. The Y Chr., because it is singular, has no opportunity to recombine with another Y.

So, if one had non-Euro ancestry on their father's side and was female, could any ancestry test use that in addition to the other autosomes for their ancestry calculations?

Leave a comment:

• tomcat
    replied
    Yes, the X Chr. is a sex chromosome and is classed outside the autosome but the X Chr. acts like the autosomal chromosomes in that it recombines. But that occurs only in women during ovogenesis when their two X's recombine. Normally, only one X of the two women have is active. The Y Chr., because it is singular, has no opportunity to recombine with another Y.

Leave a comment:

• Starr173
    replied
    I do not know if AbDNA samples the X Chr. but I think they do not. You might check their website. However Cambridge DNA does sample X as part of their test for African ancestry, along with other autosomal markers. Based on the X markers currently known/used, X is highly informative for African ancestry. It may, one day, be more informative for other ancestries.
    I looked at the Cambridge DNA website. Seems like an interesting test. However, how is that the X chromosome could be semi-autosomal? I thought it is a sex chromosome.

Leave a comment:

• tomcat
    replied
    I do not know if AbDNA samples the X Chr. but I think they do not. You might check their website. However Cambridge DNA does sample X as part of their test for African ancestry, along with other autosomal markers. Based on the X markers currently known/used, X is highly informative for African ancestry. It may, one day, be more informative for other ancestries.

Leave a comment:

• tomcat
    replied
    I do not know if AbDNA samples the X Chr. but I think they do not. However Cambridge DNA does sample X as part of their test for African ancestry, along with other autosomal markers. X is highly informative for African ancestry. It may, one day, be more informative for other ancestries.

Leave a comment:

• tomcat
    replied
    I do not know if AbDNA samples the X Chr. but I think they do not. However Cambridge DNA does sample X as part of their test for African ancestry, along with other autosomal markers.

Leave a comment:

• Starr173
    replied
    Th X Chr is semi-autosomal or subject to a recombination pattern different from the autosome as a whole. Your X Chr, that is an inheritance from your father, passed unchanged through him to you from his mother. That fact changes the recombination frequency of the X Chr (compared to the autosome) and could allow for a greater chance preservation of "older" markers.

Tomcat, do you know if DNAPrint 2.5 uses this semi-autosomal X chromosome in its ancestry calculations?

Leave a comment:

• tomcat
    replied
    Originally posted by Maria_W
    ...But the question is why the difference between the x and autosomal...
    Th X Chr is semi-autosomal or subject to a recombination pattern different from the autosome as a whole. Your X Chr, that is an inheritance from your father, passed unchanged through him to you from his mother. That fact changes the recombination frequency of the X Chr (compared to the autosome) and could allow for a greater chance preservation of "older" markers.

Leave a comment:

• Maria_W
    replied
    Thank you Starr173

O.k. I didn't think about the fact that the small African % could be Greek, Berber, Italian or Jewish. Oh my goodness I forgot my 2 g.grandmother 's last name was Gouldman, changed to Goldman! My 3rd g.grandfather was born in North Carolina, no idea where my 4th great grandfather was from...Maybe hes the key! Theres the African...but how? Thats pretty cool. Ok so they don't have to be African to have that small amount. Now I know how I got the Native American. Now like you said since they dont have an Native American group it turns up Asian....I was thinking the same thing but wasn't sure. Thank you very much. I really apprecaite it... I feel much better about the test... Likes like theres the proof...But the question is why the difference between the x and autosomal. So I have 2% and 4% African and 6% and 9% Native American!

Thank you again...
    Maria

Leave a comment:

• Yaffa
    replied
    Bible

This thread is about DeCodeMe and 23andMe not the bible. Why not start a bible thread and you can discuss all the diffrent versions ( they say around 800 diffrent versions) on what you thik is accurate in it. I don't see how the bible belongs in this thread and belongs somewhere else.

Leave a comment:

• purple flowers
    replied
    Originally posted by derinos
    You always have interesting comments, PF but I sometimes get mystified !
    Which events 3400 and 2800 years ago were you referring to?

About 3400 ybp I find a number of notable events recorded:

1. The Trojan War, maybe exaggerated in the telling, referred to in a letter by the Hittite King as "some annoying piratical activity in the Luki (Lycia) area".

2.There was the very major Battle of Kadish, in which the great empires of Egypt and Hatti fought each other to a standstilll, leaving a power vacuum in the Middle East that lasted until Alexander.

3.The migration from Egypt to Canaan, of a disaffected tribe of Israelite migrant workers called in Egyptian "Habiru", or nomads, led by an important Jewish-Egyptian officer named Moses.

4.On the field of Kadish, a regiment of Judeans is honorably mentioned as fighting in the Egyptian Army. It seems that not all those of Jewish religion had rejected Egyptian nationality. The word "Kadish" still refers to a Jewish prayer for those killed in war.

About 2800 ybp, it appears that The Jewish "Torah" and The Achaean "Iliad" were, from oral tradition and old sheepskin records, written out in the new material "Papyrus" for wider distribution. This was done at an innovative manuscript workshop staffed by prisoners or hostages, signified in Greek as "homeroi". This was sited in the village of Byblos, near Beirut. The products took the village name as generic for "book".

I wonder if those were the events you pointed to?
    read about king Hezekiah and the event that happened in Joshua time .. There are some native events that could easily parallel .
    and definitely one of those is recorded in chinese history. I do not understand chinese history enough to know what year it was recorded happening in china .
    but it is definitely one of these events and I am convinced if anyone actually tried to find more evidence at least both of these Events are recorded in all parts of the world.. and what scientist supposedly trained to gather facts.. before making up theories.. ever asked any people about these ?. never put together the thousand of stories.. from the Guanches to the native Americans to Egypt . nor did any in anyway investigated those events at all did they ? no one has looked have they?
    but instead when whole "continents clearly described by Plato come up missing and whole island sink into the sea" those who believe in these things are called "nut jobs", "lunatics " and or "new age " or bible thumpers .. what if those events have something to do with legends associated now with island or continents that disappeared or sank.. thus maybe even turtle island got up and swam away like in 'Jason and the Argonauts'.
    Just maybe lots of ancestors were trying to tell us something a very very long time now and no one was listening.
    or how about our native legends that say .." they had to roll in the mud and swamps to not burn up from the low flying fire balls" or " the people had to climb to the tops mountains to not drowned from the giant tidal waves .
    there is lots more.. how about the missing maritime archaic in those exact same time ranges and also missing welsh and English in that same time frame also .
    I got more.. lots more
    point being here is not one scientist ever read the bible? or really believed it enough to ask 'what the hell happened anyway.'.. the greatest history book that has ever been or will be . and no one read it!
    like it said in "Expelled, No Intelligence Allowed " "beware of the sound of one hand clapping". they have had one hand clapping for a very very long time. since probably Newton!
    oh yes I can hear it now " nothing happened" , and "your being a bible thumper.." and so I say .. 'sure it didn't' happen. nothing happened .. just like they said , bubble bees can't fly and "there was no city of UR" or "fives city of the plains", "no Sodom and Gomorrah" and that "was no flood" and "there was no Hittites" .

yes these are all statements made by science over the last 30 or 40 years or more and most of you are too young to know that.. but the bible proves to be right over and over again. because it is a great history book and an even better book of prophecy !
    Science did not believe these things at one time.. and they have proved to be true. the bible said for thousand of years that earth was a sphere when science of it's day said the earth was flat.

those two world wide earth changing events happened in approx late 27?? and 3300+ to 3400 . they are recorded in legends and written in China ,and Israel and some HUGE events were recorded in oral stories all over the world which included words like "missing continents" and "sinking islands" and "swimming turtles that were like islands "...

these world wide recorded stories AT LEAST have warranted someone looking at them in the last few hundred years..... no one has been looking for evidence of where else these might be recorded . and definitely no one has been checking into what actually happened during these events... but there Now is tons and tons of evidence somethings that were catastrophic events happened. something happened, what was it!
    Last edited by purple flowers; 17 November 2008, 01:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X