23andME -- DeCodeMe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zaru
    Do you have his name from your mother's birth record? Do you have your mother's birth record?Is there one? I was fortunate that their was one on record in the Town Hall in this itty bitty town in New England.

Perhaps some old timers in the local diner knows some of your family's history? That's how I confirmed what a stranger had initially told me. I walked into a diner and asked some really old men who were drinking coffee if they new the "X" family- the responded by saying, "oh yeah them COLORED folk who owned a farm down the road there." I ran right into the Town Hall and began pulling records for these people ("Colored, Black, Negro, and African" are what the records all stated) going back to almost 1800!

I went 35 years of life visiting this small town, my father's family and my mother's foster family, and no one mentioned anything about it. Even after I enquired about it afterward. Stoicism has no place in genealogy, that's for sure.

Good luck to you as well!
    We have all the records, original BC, what is written in the adoption which is false names. Even some false race! LOL so I know all about cover up. We have an Idea of my grandfather's true race "so to speak" but grandma gave a false name of a man who she claimed to be my grandfather.I researched this name (and it is a rare name) and nothing that even comes close to info given in the adoption. Grandma also put a diffrent name on my mother's BC than the name that is on the adoption. Grandma's siblings MT-DNA tested with me and we all match. Our family were Coal Miners so it's anyone's guess who my grandfather could have been.People would come an go in the coal mining camps. My grandmother disappeared when she had my mother and then came home. None of her siblings know who my grandfather could have been.

Im surprised that they used that terminology in New England. But you say it was an Itty Bitty Town. I grew up in New England and all the people I know would never use those terms. I know they did use those terms on old records but didn't think they did it in Yankee territory. I guess there is one in every crowd!

Comment

I was taken aback as well..I mean c'mon, colored... really??? I recently had the good fortune of meeting my maternal grandmother's children and their children (which would be my cousins I guess). My grandmother apparently had children with at least three separate men, but the real coup d'etat was my mother. They had all heard the rumors that they had a "black sister and brother" but my now deceased grandmother would never confirm this. So when we first met my mother's sister turned to her and said, "You know that your father was black, right?" In any event I probably will never meet anyone from that ancestry or see any photos as they are all long gone. That is my only real wish in this life- a photo of my grandfather. I feel your agony...

Comment

I was taken aback as well..I mean c'mon, colored... really??? I recently had the good fortune of meeting my maternal grandmother's children and their children (which would be my cousins I guess). My grandmother apparently had children with at least three separate men, but the real coup d'etat was my mother. They had all heard the rumors that they had a "black sister and brother" but my now deceased grandmother would never confirm this. So when we first met my mother's sister turned to her and said, "You know that your father was black, right?" In any event I probably will never meet anyone from that ancestry or see any photos as they are all long gone. That is my only real wish in this life- a photo of my grandfather. I feel your agony...
        When I hear the term colored I think Southern Civil War times. I have never heard that term up north. Is this brother of the same father as your mother?
        Have you found him?

I would like photos too. My mother doesn't look anything like my grandmother so I am assuming she looks like her father or her father's side of the family. So I can only guess what my grandfather may have looked like. I look like my father so no clues show up on my end. I wish there was a way other than X testing that women could find out their father line. No fair that men get Y and MT.

Comment

DeCodeMe...Pandora's Box!

If the ABDNA test can't pick up my 1600's Native ancestry then how can it pick up my 1600's European ancestry. I now think the test isn't of any use for anyone who has ancestry past what 175 years, using 25 years per generation...I have been told that you keep dividing in half, so 100%(4/4), 50%(1/2), 25%(1/4), 12.5%(1/8), 6.25%(1/16)3.125%(1/32)1.56 %(1/64).

Here is my family's results again..
          My father: Indo European:100%, Asian 0%, Native American 0%, SSA 0%.
          My mother:Indo European: 89%, Asian 0%, Native American 7%, SSA 4%
          Me: Indo European: 90%, Asian 0%, Native American 10%, SSA 0%.
          Daughter 1: Indo European 96%, Asian 0%, Native American 0%, 4% SSA.
          Grandaughter: Indo European 91%, Asian 0%, Native American 9%, SSA 0%.
          Daughter2: Indo European Native American 14%, SSA 0%
          Husband recieved: 96% Indo European, Asian 4%, Native American 0%, SSA 0%.

7 recieved European.
          4 recieved Native American
          2 recieved Asian
          2 received SSA

I have no problem with any ethnic group but there is no proof for the last 400 years for SSA or Asian. The Native American and most of the European is in 1600's.

So to me unless ABDNA can convince, which will be really hard now, the test is a waste of money, emotion and time!

I have no idea how DeCodeMe got my results, thats another Pandora's Box!

Maria

Comment

List of markers it nice...

Ok, the the results for the 175 markers is nice to have, I admit. You can compare what markers your family shares with you! But the percentages aren't of any use if your ancestors came to the states in the 1600's. Its so far in the past. Like I said I will say that I have European and Potowomecke heritage from now on as far as the ABDNA test...

Maria

Comment

Euro 1 and 2 and DeCodeMe...

Now I wonder about Euro 1 and 2. It's the same issue... Its a percentage test.. So is DeCodeMe...

Maria

Comment

Originally posted by Yaffa
                When I hear the term colored I think Southern Civil War times. I have never heard that term up north. Is this brother of the same father as your mother?
                Have you found him?

I would like photos too. My mother doesn't look anything like my grandmother so I am assuming she looks like her father or her father's side of the family. So I can only guess what my grandfather may have looked like. I look like my father so no clues show up on my end. I wish there was a way other than X testing that women could find out their father line. No fair that men get Y and MT.
                My mother's brother is deceased now but yes they were from the same father, and both were abandoned together. He definitely had the mixed ethnicity phenotype. My mother looks mediterranean as do I. I do not look anything like my father or his family, nor do I look anything like my maternal grandmother's family, which makes me wonder if indeed look more like my African American family.

Yes, men get Y and Mt but women get the brains (in most cases)

Comment

23andme

What I'd like to know about 23andme, is whether or not they routinely give a report with the completed package containing medical aspects or implications of the y or mt DNA.
                  I had hear or read somewhere that their newest super-duper full genome sequence (mtDNA) was recently reduced in price from about $999 to about $299 or something along those lines. And that they include known medical "risks" or whatever you want to call it. The owner's husband, one of the partners from Google (whose name eludes me know) discovered he has several known genes for Parkinson's Disease.
                  Those are the kinds of results I'm searching for. I've done my FGS here at Family Tree and they do not include that kind of information. I realize that some of the info in not fully tested yet, and that not every known risk is known at this point in time. But I'd sure like to see what I've inherited and what I should be reading up about for my future.

Comment

Originally posted by radio1
                    What I'd like to know about 23andme, is whether or not they routinely give a report with the completed package containing medical aspects or implications of the y or mt DNA.
                    I had hear or read somewhere that their newest super-duper full genome sequence (mtDNA) was recently reduced in price from about $999 to about $299 or something along those lines. And that they include known medical "risks" or whatever you want to call it. The owner's husband, one of the partners from Google (whose name eludes me know) discovered he has several known genes for Parkinson's Disease.
                    Those are the kinds of results I'm searching for. I've done my FGS here at Family Tree and they do not include that kind of information. I realize that some of the info in not fully tested yet, and that not every known risk is known at this point in time. But I'd sure like to see what I've inherited and what I should be reading up about for my future.
                    Complete list of the current "health and traits":
                    https://www.23andme.com/health/all/

Comment

My mother's brother is deceased now but yes they were from the same father, and both were abandoned together. He definitely had the mixed ethnicity phenotype. My mother looks mediterranean as do I. I do not look anything like my father or his family, nor do I look anything like my maternal grandmother's family, which makes me wonder if indeed look more like my African American family.
                      Have you found his family?Did your mother's brother leave any sons that could DNA test? Im my mother's adoption papers it stated she had a 10 yr old brother from her father and that her father was married at the time she was born. Grandma told so many lies we don't know if this is fact. We don't know the correct name of my grandfather so no way of locating this possible brother.

Yes, men get Y and Mt but women get the brains (in most cases)
                      Exactly!!! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Maria_W
                        If the ABDNA test can't pick up my 1600's Native ancestry then how can it pick up my 1600's European ancestry. I now think the test isn't of any use for anyone who has ancestry past what 175 years, using 25 years per generation...I have been told that you keep dividing in half, so 100%(4/4), 50%(1/2), 25%(1/4), 12.5%(1/8), 6.25%(1/16)3.125%(1/32)1.56 %(1/64).

7 recieved European.
                        2 recieved Asian
                        2 received SSA

I have no problem with any ethnic group but there is no proof for the last 400 years for SSA or Asian. The Native American and most of the European is in 1600's.

So to me unless ABDNA can convince, which will be really hard now, the test is a waste of money, emotion and time!

Maria
                        well maria I suspect that if I did my dna I would come out about like your mom's maybe a tiny bit higher. but there are more than a few cherokee full bloods coming back with way less than 1/2 " native" and those are the ones who easily picked up some stuff from plains indians and unannounced to hem maybe a chinese railroad worker or two..
                        so what should you expect your families dna to come back like?
                        they can't pick up all indigenous genes because they do not have history right yet.
                        so considering as close as i can figure . these things are very hard because "partblood " was really never how they thought of themselves.. that "part blood" thought process was imposed upon them. so best I can tell. I am someplace Between over 1/4 and somewhere just shy of 1/2 , (THAT I KNOW OF, I didn't even know my grandpa when a started doing genealogy so I was saying " 1/4 )indigenous/native/probably founding American... and I would expect for my dna to come back 10 % +or - or so! because that is about how much Choctaw/Chickasaw and genes that may have come down from the known Q's males that I probably have. the rest being " European" or indo-Europeans..
                        you see because when the what we call now " Cherokee" say they left the med they left behind 2/3 of their people those now are teh ones called the "indo europeans" who became tribes like Scythian, Celts , basque etc and lots and lots more .. you know the ones who head shaped and world wide traders that had trade routes all the way out to Asian and japan and through Africa . some became the phoenicians and other sea people and Guanches and people in Mauritania .... so that doesn't mean that some of those same genes weren't here too and very early on. it would be kind of naive to think other wise. . humanity is just way shallower and closer related to every one than any scientist is going to admit. especially any atheist/raciest ones.. they will never admit that I am afraid.

the Sioux say ' ALL MY BROTHERS' IT MEANS ALL OF HUMANITY and boy isn't that the truth !!!. I have sisters in Europe and Africa and Asia and south America and caribbean, central America .. we all came from the same mother, we were all once at one time or another the same clan.

so your mom could well be just like me and over 1/4 or lets say 20 % or more. or even way more of her family was native to this land . just some are not recognized by science and the like as such and definitely not by the wannabee scientists.
                        was it a waist of time and money? ... I don't think so because I think the powers that be just might learn something from all our fighting and arguing and learn a lot about all the ones calling others "wannabees', Whites and or Negros.... <LOL>
                        maria science just don't own our history! and don't forget that. and the other lady with the Collins family just remember they don't recognize our history and thus they will not recognize the genes either. .
                        just wait or keep looking and figuring out who was here and when they got here. when we find the proof maybe someday they will listen.
                        in the mean time they still have to explain the world wide recorded events of 3400 and 2800 years ago. till they get that history straitened and figured out.. then I won't believe a darn word they say..
                        Last edited by purple flowers; 16 November 2008, 12:40 PM.

Comment

7 recieved European.
                          2 recieved Asian
                          2 received SSA

You already know that you have Indian ancestors on paper in the 1600's. If you had one's closer than the 1600's these test will not tell you where it came from and where and when on your tree. Just keep paper trailing your family. If you were meant to find any indication of a closer Indian ancestor/ancestors you will.

Maria
                          WHAT!!!!??????

Yaffa

Comment

Is DeCodeMe wrong too?

I took the DeCodeMe test but I don't know how to interpet the ancestry part of it...I have recieved 6% Asian on Autosomal and 9% Asian on X.. I have no Asian ancestors that I know of...Are these results also wrong? I have no recent Native g.grandparents that these Asian results could be confused with... What are they picking up? How are they picking up Asian...And what about African 4% Autosomal and 2% X. What do you confuse that with....Again no African ancestors...

Maria

Comment

I took the DeCodeMe test but I don't know how to interpet the ancestry part of it...I have recieved 6% Asian on Autosomal and 9% Asian on X.. I have no Asian ancestors that I know of...Are these results also wrong? I have no recent Native g.grandparents that these Asian results could be confused with... What are they picking up? How are they picking up Asian...And what about African 4% Autosomal and 2% X. What do you confuse that with....Again no African ancestors...

Maria
                              I don't know how this test works but they say AI can be Asian markers. As for African. I know someone who traced their family back 200 yrs and because of the wording in court douments found out they descended from an African slave woman.She was the only African ancestor they located in their family.There may be a mixture back there that you would not think happened or are unaware of. Nathaniel Bass of the Nesmond. There were 2 Nathaniel Bass one African and one European so it is uncertian which Nathaniel belongs to the Nesmond.The African bass family does have some kind of early Indian certificates.Did you email them to ask for an explination? And is this test accurate in detecting admixture?

Yaffa
                              Last edited by Yaffa; 16 November 2008, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Events of 3400 and 2800 ybp?

Originally posted by purple flowers
                                ."............
                                .. in the mean time they still have to explain the world wide recorded events of 3400 and 2800 years ago. till they get that history straitened and figured out.. then I won't believe a darn word they say.."
                                You always have interesting comments, PF but I sometimes get mystified !
                                Which events 3400 and 2800 years ago were you referring to?

About 3400 ybp I find a number of notable events recorded:

1. The Trojan War, maybe exaggerated in the telling, referred to in a letter by the Hittite King as "some annoying piratical activity in the Luki (Lycia) area".

2.There was the very major Battle of Kadish, in which the great empires of Egypt and Hatti fought each other to a standstilll, leaving a power vacuum in the Middle East that lasted until Alexander.

3.The migration from Egypt to Canaan, of a disaffected tribe of Israelite migrant workers called in Egyptian "Habiru", or nomads, led by an important Jewish-Egyptian officer named Moses.

4.On the field of Kadish, a regiment of Judeans is honorably mentioned as fighting in the Egyptian Army. It seems that not all those of Jewish religion had rejected Egyptian nationality. The word "Kadish" still refers to a Jewish prayer for those killed in war.

About 2800 ybp, it appears that The Jewish "Torah" and The Achaean "Iliad" were, from oral tradition and old sheepskin records, written out in the new material "Papyrus" for wider distribution. This was done at an innovative manuscript workshop staffed by prisoners or hostages, signified in Greek as "homeroi". This was sited in the village of Byblos, near Beirut. The products took the village name as generic for "book".

I wonder if those were the events you pointed to?

Comment

Working...
                                X