mtDNA Haplogroup B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mtDNA Haplogroup B

Can anyone please tell me what country is the place of origin for mtDNA Haplogroup B? I've looked at the DNA migrations map but I can't decide if it's China or Mongolia. I've also searched the Internet but haven't found the answer. I hope someone can help. Thanks!

Happy:

The source of haplogroup B is probably still very much a matter of opinion. Yao et al. seem to lead towards a southern China origin. The following excerpt is not from one of their latest articles but from one that you may want to read:

"The 9-bp deletion [characteristic of haplogroup B sequences] arose about ~60,000 YBP (Redd et al. 1995) in China, followed by the nucleotide substitutions at position 16217 and then at position 16261. The mtDNAs carrying these markers spread extensively throughout east and southeast Asia and expanded northward to Siberia and America, and eastward into Taiwan and then to the Pacific Islands as shown in other studies (Redd et al. 1995; Melton et al. 1995, 1998; Su et al. 1999)."

Hum Genet (2000) 107 :504–512
    Evolutionary history of the mtDNA 9-bp deletion in Chinese populations and its relevance to the peopling of east and southeast Asia
    Yong-Gang Yao · W. S. Watkins · Ya-Ping Zhang

If you can not find this one, you may write to me and I'll send it to you or you can look for any articles by the same group of authors.

Gisele
    Last edited by Guest; 18 September 2004, 11:00 PM. Reason: typing error

Comment

"The 9-bp deletion [characteristic of haplogroup B sequences] arose about ~60,000 YBP (Redd et al. 1995) in China, followed by the nucleotide substitutions at position 16217 and then at position 16261. The mtDNAs carrying these markers spread extensively throughout east and southeast Asia and expanded northward to Siberia and America, and eastward into Taiwan and then to the Pacific Islands as shown in other studies (Redd et al. 1995; Melton et al. 1995, 1998; Su et al. 1999)."

Hmmm, yes. Expansion from China. It makes sense.

Comment

Matches Matches?!

My HVR2 mutations are: 073G,146C,263G,309.1C,315.1C,499A
        I came across a study in which a Chinese American participant had the following HVR2 mutations: 56[N] 58[N] 63[N] 64[N] 66[N] 73[G] 146[C] 263[G] 309.1[C] 315.1[C] 489[N] 498[N] 499[N] 522[N] 523[N]

What should I make of this?

Comment

Vocabulary

I'm VERY new to this type of science, but have concluded that it would take YEARS to learn on your on. A vocabulary would be a great start. Any possibility that someone could do that, with explanations of the symbols? Have mercy on us neophytes!
          Jane Ford-Taylor

Comment

Working...
          X