Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starr173
    replied
    Thanks for the replies. That's interesting what DFK said. That any admixture above 1% on 23andme probably reveals actual admixture since they set the bar so high that most Europeans score 100% Euro.

Leave a comment:

• jloe
    replied
    Originally posted by burto
    How does 23andMe differ to DeCodeMe in the sense of "predicting" ancestry?
    Why do you say anything above 1% East Asian? Is that what the test picks up as being average for Europeans? Which do you think is better for finding out if you have more than one racial group in your ancestry and what about Native American?
    There's a little bit of a gray area here. It seems that many who test 100% European with 23andME test 90-95% European with decodeme.

I tested 90% European, 6% Asian, and 4% African with decodeme, while 100% European with AncestrybyDNA2.5.

The puzzle is that in some respects 23andME and decodeme are only using a subset of the 500,000+ and 1,000,000 SNPs resepctively that they test, approximately 20,000 SNPs for their ancestral determinations.

As David pointed out, decodeme tends to show more admixture than 23andME. In fairness, anyone 90% or more European on either test is phenotypically European and it is uncertain what the significance of that other ten percent really is. We await improvements in the analyses.

Leave a comment:

• burto
    replied
    Originally posted by DKF
    At this point the only way you are going to know if your present results are valid or a false positive is to take the 23andme test. If you show up as any percentage whatsoever above 1% Asian, then you can rest assured that the DNAP test is NOT leading you down the garden path but is telling you something correct about your recent ancestry. They "set the bar" very high so everyone who is European tests as 100% European - as it should be. The decodeme test seems to be useful in obtaining information about ancient haploblocks which you share with other populations of the world.
    How does 23andMe differ to DeCodeMe in the sense of "predicting" ancestry?
    Why do you say anything above 1% East Asian? Is that what the test picks up as being average for Europeans? Which do you think is better for finding out if you have more than one racial group in your ancestry and what about Native American?

Leave a comment:

• DKF
    replied
    Originally posted by rainbow
    This is a good topic. I wish there were replies. Sorry I can't be of any help.
    I tested with only one of those companies, DNAPrint (AncestryByDna). I had ordered their Euro (1.0?) in 2006, but was tested for the 2.5 and was refunded the difference because I didn't qualify for the Euro. My result is 83% European and 17% Native American. I expected 100% European. I tested because I had wondered if I had any detectable Mongolian/Hun ancestry from my Slavic grandparent. If so, then I expected no more than 3% East Asian and 97% European. To this day the 17% is still a mystery.
    At this point the only way you are going to know if your present results are valid or a false positive is to take the 23andme test. If you show up as any percentage whatsoever above 1% Asian, then you can rest assured that the DNAP test is NOT leading you down the garden path but is telling you something correct about your recent ancestry. They "set the bar" very high so everyone who is European tests as 100% European - as it should be. The decodeme test seems to be useful in obtaining information about ancient haploblocks which you share with other populations of the world.

Leave a comment:

• rainbow
    replied
    This is a good topic. I wish there were replies. Sorry I can't be of any help.
    I tested with only one of those companies, DNAPrint (AncestryByDna). I had ordered their Euro (1.0?) in 2006, but was tested for the 2.5 and was refunded the difference because I didn't qualify for the Euro. My result is 83% European and 17% Native American. I expected 100% European. I tested because I had wondered if I had any detectable Mongolian/Hun ancestry from my Slavic grandparent. If so, then I expected no more than 3% East Asian and 97% European. To this day the 17% is still a mystery.

Leave a comment:

• Starr173
    started a topic DNAPrint vs. decodeme vs. 23andme

DNAPrint vs. decodeme vs. 23andme

Has anyone been tested by all 3 companies or at least two? How do your results compare? I saw a post on the DNATribes log who scored 100% European on 23andme and 81% European, 13% African and 6% East Asian on decodeme. He is half Kabylie and 100% French on his mother's side. Please share your experiences with all 3 testing companies.
Working...
X