Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surname used in forms and multiple projects?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surname used in forms and multiple projects?

Hello,

This isn't included in the FAQ and I can't find a thing about either of them, but I have two basic questions about signing up and getting my kit:

1. I know for a fact that my surname was changed when my family came to America. Should I use my family's original surname as my own name in the form, or should I use the current one?

2. I am likely eligible for two groups, the Nobility of C-Europe project and the Sicily project (I guess I'm an unusual mix). Since i'd like to contribute my data to both of them (if the Nobility of C-Europe manager EVER gets back to my on my eligibility), is it possible to later add yourself to a second project?

Thanks!

-JR

On ysearch, you can add many family names, so if you upload your data there, people can check all spellings and versions of it.

You can join more than one project when you have the results (I think the original is just to get a discount), though I don't know if there is a limit on how many one can join.

cacio

Comment

Originally posted by jr76x
      Hello,

This isn't included in the FAQ and I can't find a thing about either of them, but I have two basic questions about signing up and getting my kit:

1. I know for a fact that my surname was changed when my family came to America. Should I use my family's original surname as my own name in the form, or should I use the current one?

2. I am likely eligible for two groups, the Nobility of C-Europe project and the Sicily project (I guess I'm an unusual mix). Since i'd like to contribute my data to both of them (if the Nobility of C-Europe manager EVER gets back to my on my eligibility), is it possible to later add yourself to a second project?

Thanks!

-JR
      It's been a while since I looked at that form, so I forget what they ask you exactly, but if you are asking how you should officially list your own name in FTDNA's files, you might consider doing what I did, and spell out your ancestral surname as if it was your middle name. That way, people seeing you in their list of matches will still be able to recognize your ancestral surname, but mail addressed to you from FTDNA (certificates, etc.) won't get returned by the post office as undeliverable because there is no such person at your address!

Your current surname would still be useful to people whose common ancestor with you occurred after the emigration event, so there is still some value in showing your current surname.

You can indeed add yourself to more than one project, as Cacio said, though there is a limit as to how many you can join. I currently belong to five projects.

You can also change your name at any time after you've submitted your kit, from the personal page that FTDNA will set up for you.

Comment

Originally posted by jr76x
        Hello,

Thanks!

-JR
        Ditto on Ghost and Cacio replies.
        I have my brother in 3 regional projects that overlap, and look at different aspects.
        Most of the projects I have relatives in accept all reasonable variants of the surname, as spellings change over the centuries and differing regions.

If you cannot get a reply from the Admin of the project, after a reasonable time, as they may be sick or on holidays, you can contact FTDNA about this.

I had many problems with one Admin of a group who did not want to accept any variants on the surname, so she refused to answer my emails. FTDNA did intervene.

Some projects may have specific requirements, but they should still answer you email.

Comment

Working...
        X