Help! Intrepreting 37 marker match except for 385a DYS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Intrepreting 37 marker match except for 385a DYS

New results in our Dewhu/irst DNA Group [http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.c...whurstDNA.htm] *could* lead to a major breakthrough in connecting several well researched lines ... unfortunately, we have a discrepancy in 385a DYS. All the other results show that marker as 14, and these results bring it in as 11. I read what I could find to learn that this marker discrepancy is not uncommon and may be connected to alcoholism ... but that if the rest of the markers match the chances the lines are closely related is high, and the rest of the markers do match.

What do I tell the participants who are eager to know if this is a good clue for them? Is this result good enough to lead researchers to try to prove tie - ins to this line? It could take research back 200 years from 1700 to 1500 ....

Any suggestions/advice greatly appreciated!
    Jana Black

Originally posted by janamb
    New results in our Dewhu/irst DNA Group [http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.c...whurstDNA.htm] *could* lead to a major breakthrough in connecting several well researched lines ... unfortunately, we have a discrepancy in 385a DYS. All the other results show that marker as 14, and these results bring it in as 11. I read what I could find to learn that this marker discrepancy is not uncommon and may be connected to alcoholism ... but that if the rest of the markers match the chances the lines are closely related is high, and the rest of the markers do match.

What do I tell the participants who are eager to know if this is a good clue for them? Is this result good enough to lead researchers to try to prove tie - ins to this line? It could take research back 200 years from 1700 to 1500 ....

Jana Black
    A set of mutation rates is here: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb..../ratestuff.htm

I'm sure a knowledgeable person will be along shortly with an interpretation for you.

Regards,
    Jim

Comment

Originally posted by janamb

Jana Black
      I tried to go to that website you posted, but I'm just getting a "Not Found" error message.

Do you know what haplogroup these people are assigned to? I can give you a much more meaningful answer if I had that info, as some mutations can be very common in one haplogroup, but very rare in another.

The other important piece of info to know is how many markers these people had tested. If they tested 25 or more markers, then I wouldn't read too much into the fact that there is an apparent 2-step difference in that marker, given that all the other markers match. It's possible for such a mutation to happen as a one-step mutation. If we're only talking about a 12-marker comparison though, then the difference could be significant.

Comment

385a mutation in I1 Haplogroup

Sorry about the link - it truncated when I copied and pasted:

homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~jmbhome/1dewhurstDNA.htm

We are all Haplo I1 and the results are at 37 markers. I am comparing kits #124879 (top of chart) with kits # 94974 and 43192 in the ocre color band.

Looking forward to whatever you can tell me! Thx in advance...
        Jana

Comment

A Good Match

Since there are already three copies of your message I won't bother to quote any of it.

If I understood you correctly you have exact 36 out of 37 markers matches between 124879 and 94974 and 43192. The last two having exact 37 out of 37 matches.

Have you look at the match link on your "myFTDNA" website. What do they show as the genetic distance?

You mismatch is on DYS385a-b pair where 124879 has 11-14 and the other two kits have 14 - 14. This may be a recLOH event - see
          http://www.dna-fingerprint.com/modul...rticle&artid=9 and
          http://www.dna-fingerprint.com/stati...cRegion-V2.pdf (You'll see DYS385a-b at the P4 loop. These are LONG links, you may need to copy and paste.

In simple term 94974 and 43192 may have started out as 11 - 14. At some time when DYS385a was being copied an error occurred. In an attempt to correct the error DSY385b was copied giving the 14 - 14 results. This is often counted as only a one step mutation. If this is the only mis-match I feel you have a good match between the three kits.

Comment

Okay, I see your results page now Jana, thanks for reposting the URL.

DYS385a=13 is the most common value for that marker in haplogroup I. DYS385a=14 (which most of your project members have) is the next most-common. DYS385a=11 is rather rare, and only occurs about 1% of the time.

I agree with Jim that this could very well be a one-step recLOH mutation, and I wouldn't read too much into the fact that it's off from your other project members by two. Furthermore, 385 is a fast-mutating marker, so a difference there does not likely reflect as distant an event as a slow-mutating marker. It could have happened relatively recently.

At the 37-marker level, if that's your only difference, then I'd say you are quite closely related indeed. That's a great result, and I wish I could have 37-marker results that close in my project!

Comment

To Jim and GhostX

Thank you both very much! I will relate your comments to the group. I suspect we are on the verge of some really exciting DNA success.

Comment

Working...
              X