No announcement yet.

Is this the world's oldest family tree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this the world's oldest family tree?

Drunks, criminals, Cliff Richard fans - family trees can throw up all sorts of embarrassing long-lost ancestors.

But imagine if yours revealed you had a relative who lived in a cave, took part in human sacrifices, worshipped trees and - worse - lived just around the corner. Well, be warned - it could happen.

Two friends from neighbouring towns have just found out they are both related to a Bronze Age caveman who died 3,000 years ago near where they live.

Manfred Huchthausen and Uwe Lange were among hundreds of people who volunteered DNA samples after archaeologists decided to analyse 40 well- preserved neolithic skeletons.

The match means the pair share a great-grandfather 120 times removed and gives them the oldest family tree in the world.

Archaeologists discovered the Bronze Age bodies in a cave in Germany's Soese valley in 1993.

Last year, scientists called for people in nearby towns to donate DNA samples in a bid to match them with the skeletons.

Mr Huchthausen, 58, and Mr Lange, 48, who have known each other for years, responded and were matched to one of the 3,000-year-old bodies.

Isn't there a similar finding

with respect to a man near Cheddar in relation to 9,000 year old remains found in the Cheddar Caves? I would want to know what was meant by "related"? Did they perform a forensics exam to determine direct ancestry, or were the 12, 25, 37, or 67 markers similar?

Comment

Originally posted by Deirwha
      with respect to a man near Cheddar in relation to 9,000 year old remains found in the Cheddar Caves? I would want to know what was meant by "related"? Did they perform a forensics exam to determine direct ancestry, or were the 12, 25, 37, or 67 markers similar?
      Cheddar man also crossed my mind in that there was also discovered a living relative of his. I'm trying to figure out how these two guys in Germany make the claim when Cheddar man and his living ancestor clearly have a longer bloodline.

Come to think of it, we are ALL descendants from the longest living bloodline, we ALL have ancestors even if their bones have not yet been discovered.
      Last edited by girlperson1; 30 July 2008, 03:44 PM. Reason: Typo fixed

Comment

In the case of Cheddar man, it was simply a publicity stunt. They only checked for HVR1, which is pretty standard U5, and thus doesn't say much. There were actually quite a few matches, but they picked only one for the news (and it's not even clear that it was an exact match, perhaps it was just U5).

cacio

Comment

Yes

That was in the nature of my point, also. I find myself recently taking increasing numbers of pinches of salt.

Comment

Cliff Richards

Originally posted by girlperson1
            Drunks, criminals, Cliff Richard fans - family trees can throw up all sorts of embarrassing long-lost ancestors.
            Cliff Richards that sang "Devil Woman"? Is he on your tree LOL!

Comment

Working...
            X