Will I ever find an answer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will I ever find an answer?

It has been nearly two years since I received the first batch of results for my yDNA test. With each month that has passed since then, I have not come any closer to finding even a remotely close match. There have been times when I thought my results were incorrect to the point where nothing would ever match.

What makes this even more frustrating is that my last name is Miller, and I can pretty confidently document my paternal line to my 6th great-grandfather. There are no other Millers of the Q haplogroup that I can find anywhere! Check it out here: FU3VZ

I guess I'm just getting tired of waiting. Anyone have any encouragement about being such a unique individual? Surely I can't be the only one waiting for some kind of hit... Even if it's distance of four or five!

And how do you know that your 6th Great-Grandfather didn't adopt that name as his own?

Names like "Miller" and "Brown" were exceptionally common "adopted" names back in the 1800s, when your 6th Great-Grandfather existed.

In terms of wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_Q_(Y-DNA) , data leans towards it being from a variety of Eastern origins, potentially Native American and even Yemeni Jewish.

It seems that there's probably some interesting story you're going to find out when you get a match to someone with an entirely different surname.

Originally posted by hachaliah
    It has been nearly two years since I received the first batch of results for my yDNA test. With each month that has passed since then, I have not come any closer to finding even a remotely close match. There have been times when I thought my results were incorrect to the point where nothing would ever match.

What makes this even more frustrating is that my last name is Miller, and I can pretty confidently document my paternal line to my 6th great-grandfather. There are no other Millers of the Q haplogroup that I can find anywhere! Check it out here: FU3VZ

I guess I'm just getting tired of waiting. Anyone have any encouragement about being such a unique individual? Surely I can't be the only one waiting for some kind of hit... Even if it's distance of four or five!

Comment

You may want to recruit a distant cousin to also get tested. This will give you something to look forward to for a couple months, and will help to confirm your own results. Assuming he matches you as expected, it will also confirm your paper trail and you'll then have at least one match so your Y-DNA Matches page isn't completely empty

Elise

Comment

My brother is in the same boat.
        We tested nearly 2 years ago, and we have no matches whatsoever in our surname group or on any database.

I do know that we are the only James family from Essex England in the James Project, so I am trying to persuade more Essex and Suffolk James family to test. That is a lot harder than I imagined.

We have over 100 men in the project, so maybe oneday we will have a match.
        I dont have a distant cousin to test either.

Comment

Some of us seem to really be the last of the Mohicans, when it comes to our y-dna. For whatever reason our ancestors were not very effective in winning the "survival of the fittest". Although personally I feel very fit.

Actually, you seem to have a lot of relatively near matches, at least when compared to me. At 12 markers, my closest "near match" is a GD of 5 away. I have two others at a GD of 6 away. And that's it.

Yes it is boring and frustrating waiting around for that elusive miracle match who never arrives. Aside from trying to cajole distant relatives into getting tested, there's really nothing one can do to move things along. I suggest taking up a completely different hobby, such as golf.

Comment

I have no matches in my surname though I do have a match of GD 6 for another surname. There is a 96% chance that we share a common ancestor in the last 22 generations, 100% chance at 77 generations. There others with greater GD's 11, 12 18 etc that are most likely very distant kin. Not much help finding recent family lines.

Comment

2 lines

Just had another family male line test. This now make 2 lines that don't match our surname and have no good matches at all on either. Only one we can confirm a possible surname but still this person in my family has rare mutations that don't match the others.

Comment

Working...
              X