X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tomcat
    replied
    Maria,

As per article cited, the D9 STR is located on Chr 9 within a block also defined by SNP's. As 23andMe sequences SNP's and paints the chromosomes the SNP block that includes D9 ought to exhibit the same ancestry as the STR evidences. A 9-repeat STR at D9 is NA and any other repeat within the SNP block on Chr 9 is NA if the SNP block is NA.

Although DeCodeMe does not paint the chromosomes, with some effort one can identify the area of Chr 9 that contains the STR and compare DeCode SNP's to HGDP-CEPH database for indications of ancestry at that SNP block on Chr 9.

Neither of the scanners offer NA as an ancestry definition, East Asian is the closest analog, but HGDP-CEPH does have a couple NA populations.
    Last edited by tomcat; 25 February 2009, 10:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Maria_W
    replied
    Why not on DeCodeMe?

Tom,
    What do you mean by the corresponding snp block of their chromosome 9 and also what do you mean by out of the ordinary repeats? What are the ordinary? I received 6% Asian with DeCodeMe on the autosomal and 9% Asian with the X... Why are those results not accepted...But on 23andme 1% Asian would be...

Maria

Leave a comment:

• tomcat
    replied
    It follows from the above that those without a D9 9 repeat ought not to expect the corresponding SNP block of their Chr 9 will be 'painted' East Asian by 23andMe. But if the other out-of-the-ordinary repeats on D9 have their SNP block painted East Asian this will confirm that those repeats are also potentially Native American.

Leave a comment:

• tomcat
    replied
    This is a For Sale article. if anyone buys it please report back.

Mol Biol Evol. 2009 Feb 17. [Epub ahead of print]

Haplotypic background of a private allele at high frequency in the Americas.

Schroeder KB, Jakobsson M, Crawford MH, Schurr TG, Boca SM, Conrad DF, Tito
    RY, Osipova LP, Tarskaia LA, Zhadanov SI, Wall JD, Pritchard JK, Malhi RS,
    Smith DG, Rosenberg NA.

Department of Anthropology, University of California, Davis, Davis,
    California, United States of America.

Recently, the observation of a high-frequency private allele, the 9-repeat
    allele at microsatellite D9S1120, in all sampled Native American and Western
    Beringian populations has been interpreted as evidence that all modern Native
    Americans descend primarily from a single founding population. However, this
    inference assumed that all copies of the 9-repeat allele were identical by descent
    and that the geographic distribution of this allele had not been influenced
    by natural selection. To investigate whether these assumptions are satisfied,
    we genotyped 34 SNPs across approximately 500 kilobases (kb) around D9S1120 in
    21 Native American and Western Beringian populations and 54 other worldwide
    populations. All chromosomes with the 9-repeat allele share the same haplotypic
    background in the vicinity of D9S1120, suggesting that all sampled copies of
    the 9-repeat allele are identical by descent. Ninety-one percent of these
    chromosomes share the same 76.26 kb haplotype, which we call the "American Modal
    Haplotype" (AMH). Three observations lead us to conclude that the high
    frequency and widespread distribution of the 9-repeat allele are unlikely to be the
    result of positive selection: 1) aside from its association with the 9-repeat
    allele, the AMH does not have a high frequency in the Americas, 2) the AMH is
    not unusually long for its frequency compared to other haplotypes in the
    Americas, and 3) in Latin American mestizo populations, the proportion of Native
    American ancestry at D9S1120 is not unusual compared to that observed at other
    genomewide microsatellites. Using a new method for estimating the time to the
    most recent common ancestor (MRCA) of all sampled copies of an allele on the
    basis of an estimate of the length of the genealogy descended from the MRCA, we
    calculate the mean time to the MRCA of the 9-repeat allele to be between 7,325
    and 39,900 years, depending on the demographic model used. The results support
    the hypothesis that all modern Native Americans and Western Beringians trace a
    large portion of their ancestry to a single founding population which may
    have been isolated from other Asian populations prior to expanding into the
    Americas.

PMID: 19221006 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Leave a comment:

• rainbow
    replied
    Originally posted by tomcat View Post
    Both your parents had a 16, a repeat count quite common among Europeans and others.
    Thanks for responding. I know it means that both parents had a 16. I thought it may be a generic European number, but I wondered if it was specifc to one region. And others?? Where else is it found?

Leave a comment:

• tomcat
    replied
    Originally posted by rainbow View Post
    I ordered mine (batch 291) and my result is the same as yours, 16-16.
    I was hoping for a 9.
    What does 16 indicate?
    Both your parents had a 16, a repeat count quite common among Europeans and others.

Leave a comment:

• rainbow
    replied
    Originally posted by tomcat View Post
    Mine just came in as 16,16, so both parents were 16,17. And that is ODD as they had ancestries as different as one could imagine.

I ordered mine (batch 291) and my result is the same as yours, 16-16.
    I was hoping for a 9.
    What does 16 indicate?

Leave a comment:

• sunseventh
    replied
    My Autosomal panel 3 results

CD4 6-10
    D9S919 18-18
    D12S391 15-19
    D22S1045 15-17
    D10S1248 14-16
    D14S1434 13-13

Leave a comment:

• nas
    replied
    Originally posted by fmoakes
    My wife and I received our AS-3 results.
    I am Y-I1*, mt FGS-K1a1, she is mt FGS-T2.
    Marker mine hers
    CD4 5-6 5-5
    D12S391 20-23 18-18
    D9S919 14-16 16-17
    D10S1248 14-15 13-14
    D14S1434 10-13 13-14
    D22S1045 15-16 11-16
    Hello,
    My AS-panel 3 results:
    CD4...............5-6
    D12S391.......17-24
    D9S919.........16-17
    D10S1248......13-14
    D14S1434......12-13
    D22S1045......15-16
    Nas.

Leave a comment:

• tomcat
    replied
    Originally posted by tomcat
    With 5 of 7 sibs tested and 4 of those reporting, we have 3 with 16,17 and one with 17,17. ...
    Mine just came in as 16,16, so both parents were 16,17. And that is ODD as they had ancestries as different as one could imagine.

Leave a comment:

• Maria_W
    replied
    Thank you...

Tom.

Thanks for the update! Sorry to hear you have to retake, waiting for results are frustrating...Hope you get them soon... Goes to show that some fall into the 69% group...

Maria

Leave a comment:

• tomcat
    replied
    Originally posted by Maria_W
    So Tom, have you recieved your results back yet? Would you mind posting them all. Did you get a 9 on D9s919? ...
    With 5 of 7 sibs tested and 4 of those reporting, we have 3 with 16,17 and one with 17,17. Hence, both parents had a 17 and one parent was 16,17. My seq failed and is being re-run.

Leave a comment:

• Maria_W
    replied
    Results yet?

So Tom, have you recieved your results back yet? Would you mind posting them all. Did you get a 9 on D9s919?

Maria

Leave a comment:

• Maria_W
    replied
    The other 69%?

Just curious what other marker combinations the other 69% of Amerindians get?

Maria

Leave a comment:

• Maria_W
    replied
    Marker results...

Thank you very much for sharing, appreciate it....

Maria

Leave a comment:

Working...
X