6 new autosomal STR's from FTDNA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Krahn on new STR's

Subject: Re: [DNA] New tests on our personal pages D9S919, etc....?????
    Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 14:32:00 -0500
    References: <071820081648.20673.4880C96300036A78000050C1220588 [email protected]>
    In-Reply-To: <071820081648.20673.4880C96300036A78000050C1220588 [email protected]>

Before I get into the details explaining the new SNPs (which will take
    probably the whole weekend) let me quickly leave a short note on these
    new autosomal STR:

[email protected] wrote:
    > Dr. Krahn,
    > Can you enlighten us on the other five mention in my earlier message:
    > D10S1248
    > D14S1434
    > D22S1045
    >

The reason those three markers were developed was that we wanted to have
    a multiplex with short amplicon lengths.
    Short amplicons are favorable for forensic testing because they can be
    used on very degraded DNA samples where the longer DNA chunks (500 bp
    and more) are already sheared and don't work in PCR anymore.
    Refer to the NIST STRBase [1] for the mini01 multiplex [2].

> D12S391
    >
    Simply another widely used autosomal STR [3,4]. It is one of the
    recommended new loci for the European forensic database.

> CD4
    >
    Another autosomal pentarepeat STR with a long tradition in forensic DNA
    testing. Many population databases available.

I hope this helps,

Thomas

[1] http://www.cstl.nist.gov/biotech/strbase/miniSTR.htm
    [2] http://www.cstl.nist.gov/biotech/str...005miniSTR.pdf
    [3] http://www.biotype.de/files/paper%20..._2007_FSIG.pdf
    [4] http://www.cstl.nist.gov/div831/strbase/d12s391.htm
    [5] http://www.cstl.nist.gov/div831/strbase/str_cd4.htm

Comment

Only for men....

It appears that only the men can access it.... So is D9S919 more common in Amerindian?

Maria

Comment

[QUOTE=Maria_W]It appears that only the men can access it.... So is D9S919 more common in Amerindian?

It is definitely available on some women's personal pages,,my Sister and daughter-in-law's for one..
        just a glitch I think but have not yet heard definitely..
        I will test it just to see if my prior large NA Salishan match ( now gone) could have come from that..
        Doubtful but who knows..

Comment

Thank you...

Thanks for the links.... Always looking for another DNA fix and new information that might do it for me, plus would like find more information to connect to my Amerindian heritage...

Maria

Comment

A short repeat, 275bp, at D9 has an incidence of about 31% among Native Americans. Natives have 9 repeats, the smallest allele value on record, so the marker is highly distinctive for Natve ancestry. I think, given recombination, only those with recent Native ancestry are likely to have the allele. The next smallest allele seen so date is 11 repeats.
            Last edited by tomcat; 19 July 2008, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Great...

Thats great, hope they get it fixed. So can we order all 6 of them? So I am really interested in the D9S919 since it is suppose to be connected with Amerindian.

Maria

Comment

Thank you....

Thank you Tom for letting us know about it. Really appreciate it.... Hope they fix it soon. Its worth a try. Who has ordered it?

Maria

Comment

15, 16 and 17 repeats at D9 seem to be characteristic for Europeans with 16 the most common in those populations. So, even if one doesn't snag the 9 repeat one may still derive information about one's other ancestries.

Comment

31% of 4/4 or mixed blood?

I guess the reason I am concentrating on the Amerindain heritage so much is becasue I already have alot of information on 100's of my direct European ancestors
                    Now you said that 9 repeats, which is the smallest, is found in 31% of the Amerindian population. Is this 31% of full blood? Or is this 31% of people who identify themselves as Amerindian. Is this 31% of the sample population. Full or mix. So that leaves 69% of the population with a different number. Is 9 repeats the only option for Ameridians? What happens to the other 69% ? Or like me they are more European than Amerindian.

Maria

Comment

I ordered D9 for myself and a brother. Would have ordered for other sibs but their pages don't yet offer the option.

The 9-repeat is restricted to Native Americans, no one else has it, but Natives could have other values as well. Having the 9-repeat is good proof of Native ancestry but not having the 9-repeat allele should not be construed as conclusively proving absence of Native ancestry.

If you go back in this thread and follow the DNA-Genealogy Rootsweb link you can pick-up a free PDF of the study on D9 that can answer any questions.

Comment

Very informative...

Tom,

Thank you for the website that refers to D9S919.

Maria

Comment

Just give me a 9!

Found out that D9S919 is on Chromosome 9. Its location is: 87,281,533 and ends at 87,281,832 BP. It is 299 bp long. It has 25 different names for it. Thats a hell of alot of work for 15.00. They are really going to earn their money!

Maria

Comment

Originally posted by Maria_W
                            Thats great, hope they get it fixed. So can we order all 6 of them? So I am really interested in the D9S919 since it is suppose to be connected with Amerindian.

Maria
                            D9, D12 and CD4 seem the most useful at present. The PDF on D9 has incidence date for other populations, D12 has been proposed as an addition to ENFSI and there is some incidence date for CD4 at Uni-Duesseldorf site. The other three seem more useful in forensic work.

Also the NIST site promises that 'coming soon' the site will offer guidance on the use of STR's in ancestry/genealogy.

Comment

Would I need to have Omnipop to find out if my D9S is Native American and has 9 repeats, or would FTDNA tell me how many repeats it has?

Comment

I was baffled by the NIST site. I didn't know what to do or what to click on to find out where to put my already known str.

Comment

Working...
                                X