No announcement yet.

Who is ordering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never considered the make up of who orders these tests until now. This is a very good thread.

Comment

Originally posted by rainbow
      Hi Hando,

On my DNA Tribes Native American panel, the only match is to Athabaskan (Alaska). The Alaska Athabaskans look East Asian, since they are as fair as some Japanese and northern Chinese (from pictures I googled of Alaskan Athabaskans).
      I guess the tribes along the east coast of the USA, at least the Northeast, were descended from those Alaskan Athabaskan from the Northwest, but that is just my assumption because that is what I'm matching.
      Does this reallly make sense? Because you match Alaskans on a test that is not designed for biogeogrphical assessment, and your ancestors are from the East Coast, that the tribes there must be descendants of Alaskans? Surely I am reading this wrong. If I recall correctly from other posts on this subject, your "match" was no where near statistically significant - although I may stand corrected here.

The Athapaskans are not related to the Eastern Coastal tribes but only other Sub-Arctic Athapaskans, and Apachean people of the American Southwest. I am aware of no evidence to support your suppositions, but of course am ready to listen to published evidence. Here is a link that will explain things:

http://dienekes.blogspot.com/2008/07...hapaskans.html

Comment

Originally posted by rainbow
        Hi again Hando,

The low percentage my mom has, and the low percentage that you have, can be from recent admixture, or from admixture that happened a long time ago, but if that distant admixture is in the general population and people who have that slight admixture go on to marry with each other, then that slight admixture can be sustained/maintained in later generations.
        Hi Rainbow, thanks for your detailed reply. I have not been able to check this forum from my computer. Does anyone else have this problem? It says there is some sort of error.

Comment

Originally posted by CWF
          I never considered the make up of who orders these tests until now. This is a very good thread.
          I first tested HVR1 in 2005 as virtually nothing was known of my mother's ancestry. She was informally adopted, picked as a puppy from the pound, so there is not even a sequestered record to be litigated.

Our haplo is C and that was such an exciting confirmation of undocumented family lore that I quickly upgraded to HVR2. I followed those tests with the AbDNA2.5 (31% NA) and the earliest version of DNATribes (Two top matches to MN NA on 9 markers). I also spent hundreds of dollars on paid research and hundreds of hours of personal research, all to no avail.

When I decided to research my father's line in 2006 I opted for a 67-marker test. Then tested the palindromes in cooperation with Vince Visachero's ht 35 project and did all SNP's as they became available. We are R1b1b2* according to ISOGG.

When FTDNA announced a $350 price on FGS in celebration of the opening of the Houston lab, I did that. And this year added our FGS to GenBank. I have also tested 6 of 7 siblings with Tribes, have FTDNA's Autosomal Panels results for 5 of 7 and X Panels results for 5 of 7. And am waiting on D9 results for 5 of 7. I will likely complete the X and At sibling survey this year.

I have done it all, think it money well-spent, and would jump at the chance to test further if FTDNA, or another lab, offered a compelling test such as additional X markers or a big Y-SNP panel.
          tomcat
          FTDNA Customer
          Last edited by tomcat; 12 August 2008, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Lenni Lenape Tribe

Originally posted by DKF
            Does this reallly make sense? Because you match Alaskans on a test that is not designed for biogeogrphical assessment, and your ancestors are from the East Coast, that the tribes there must be descendants of Alaskans? Surely I am reading this wrong. If I recall correctly from other posts on this subject, your "match" was no where near statistically significant - although I may stand corrected here.

The Athapaskans are not related to the Eastern Coastal tribes but only other Sub-Arctic Athapaskans, and Apachean people of the American Southwest. I am aware of no evidence to support your suppositions, but of course am ready to listen to published evidence. Here is a link that will explain things:

http://dienekes.blogspot.com/2008/07...hapaskans.html
            I did some research for Rainbow just the other day and emailed it to her. Her family was living right in the Heart where the Lenni Lenape Tribe
            ( Delaware ) were. It is possible she could descend from them but she will need to do some more digging. It does appear that her family was in NJ for a very long time. I do not know the DNA statistics of this tribe.

Comment

Working...
            X