Who is ordering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is ordering?

Who is ordering tests? Is a certain haplogroup more eager to test their y-dna than other haplogroups?

Is this meant to be like a poll thread?
    My guess is that most of the ydna orders are from R1b & J(1&2).

Comment

Originally posted by rainbow
      Is this meant to be like a poll thread?
      My guess is that most of the ydna orders are from R1b & J(1&2).
      www.dna-forums.org had a poll on this question, 43,7% where R1b's.

I thought perhaps FTDNA had some numbers, or someone did know something

Comment

Originally posted by Viking
        www.dna-forums.org had a poll on this question, 43,7% where R1b's.

I thought perhaps FTDNA had some numbers, or someone did know something
        I don't like that other forum. They have a conflict of interest. They allow certain moderators/people who are invested/founders of certain companies to put down and belittle other people who talk about autosomal and admixture results. Too many holier than thou's.

But poll threads are fun.
        I guessed R1b and J because that's what I see talked about the most, and men from those haplogroups seem to have more spare change to spend on these tests than others. And curiosity.
        rainbow
        FTDNA Customer
        Last edited by rainbow; 15 July 2008, 07:20 AM.

Comment

I don't like that other forum. They have a conflict of interest. They allow certain moderators/people who are invested/founders of certain companies to put down and belittle other people who talk about autosomal and admixture results. Too many holier than thou's.

But poll threads are fun.
          I guessed R1b and J because that's what I see talked about the most, and men from those haplogroups seem to have more spare change to spend on these tests than others. And curiosity.
          Thanks, I did not know. I'm "fresh green", know almost nothing about dna.
          A poll is ok, but how do I make one, do I have to start all over, make a new thread?

Anybody can start this poll?
          Viking
          Last edited by Viking; 15 July 2008, 07:33 AM.

Comment

This forum doesn't have a poll option, but that is okay because people will reply and put their two cents in a regular thread. You'll just have to scan the page for comments. Takes slightly longer than just looking at poll numbers, but I always read the comments on poll threads anyway, so it's just the same to me as a regular thread. If it gets to 17 pages it can get tiresome to read, but I doubt this thread will get that long, at least not this year.
            So just read 5 pages at a time in each visit, if it gets long. Or whatever is comfortable for you.
            rainbow
            FTDNA Customer
            Last edited by rainbow; 15 July 2008, 07:38 AM.

Comment

I did mail FTDNA. Perhaps they know and perhaps they are willing to share some numbers?

Comment

I did mail FTDNA. Perhaps they know and perhaps they are willing to share some numbers?
                MAIL FROM FTDNA:

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your email. If we are looking at the most popular Deep Clade
                tests it is by far R1b. Then it would be haplogroup I followed by E1b1b and
                J (which are pretty even), the least frequent would be haplogroup G.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or need additional
                assistance. Have a great day.

Darren Marin
                Family Tree DNA

Comment

MAIL FROM FTDNA:

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your email. If we are looking at the most popular Deep Clade
                  tests it is by far R1b. Then it would be haplogroup I followed by E1b1b and
                  J (which are pretty even), the least frequent would be haplogroup G.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or need additional
                  assistance. Have a great day.

Darren Marin
                  Family Tree DNA

You just had to look at the pie chart on Y-search to discover that.

http://www.ysearch.org/haplo_pie.asp

A breakdown:

6.96% R1a
                  22.44% R1b

7.06% I
                  7.56% I1a (I1)
                  2.93% I1b (I2)
                  1.28% I1c (also I2)

1.15% J
                  2.49% J1
                  6.55% J2

So more than 28% "R" followed by more than 18% "I" and then around 10% "J". "IJ" together appears to about match "R" according to these figures.
                  Nagelfar
                  Last edited by Nagelfar; 17 July 2008, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Every day I learn something new! Thanks!!

Comment

This forum doesn't have a poll option, but that is okay because people will reply and put their two cents in a regular thread. You'll just have to scan the page for comments. Takes slightly longer than just looking at poll numbers, but I always read the comments on poll threads anyway, so it's just the same to me as a regular thread. If it gets to 17 pages it can get tiresome to read, but I doubt this thread will get that long, at least not this year.
                      So just read 5 pages at a time in each visit, if it gets long. Or whatever is comfortable for you.
                      Rainbow, I have a question regarding your profile. You said that you took Ancestry by DNA to see if you had 2% to 3% East Asian.
                      1)Why specifically 2% to 3%?
                      2)And what makes you think this small percentage is an indication of East Asian and not just statistical noise?
                      The reason I ask is because as an East Asian I got 3% European and I am wondering if it is statistical noise or possible admixture.
                      Thanks

Comment

Every day I learn something new! Thanks!!
                        Ftdna and Y-search is not equal? Not everybody joins Y-search after becomming their results.

Comment

Originally posted by Hando
                          Rainbow, I have a question regarding your profile. You said that you took Ancestry by DNA to see if you had 2% to 3% East Asian.
                          1)Why specifically 2% to 3%?
                          2)And what makes you think this small percentage is an indication of East Asian and not just statistical noise?
                          The reason I ask is because as an East Asian I got 3% European and I am wondering if it is statistical noise or possible admixture.
                          Thanks

Hi Hando,
                          Thanks for asking.

1) I had read that Eastern Europeans get 10% East Asian on their admixture tests.
                          2) I'm 1/4 (25%) Eastern European. My paternal grandfather was Slavic.
                          3) 25% of 10% is 2.5%.
                          4) My mom thought I had some Mongolian ancestry on my fathers side, since my father is half Slavic. Reading about history I found it could possibly Hun.

I was stunned when I got my result of zero East Asian, but 17% Native American.
                          Then my mom took the test and she has zero Native American, but she has 5% East Asian.
                          By elimination, my 17% Native American is from my father.

I also had DNA Tribes done, and my newest update based on 21 markers is that my DNA profile is consistent with approximately 1/8 to 1/4 Native American. And that the range is from both parents. So that means my mom's low amount of East Asian is probably actually a low amount of Native American. My mom has distant cousins who say that there are multiple lines of descent from Pocahontas in our family tree, but that is so long ago that it shouldn't register on the test, but a lot of lines (20, she told me) could come to about 4% or so, I guess, if it registers. Then there is one great great grandfather I don't have the family tree of, and if he is about half or even a quarter Native American, and combine that with the other 20 lines my mom has, that could be my mom's 5% East Asian.
                          I had heard that some Native Americans get East Asian results on their tests.
                          On my DNA Tribes Native American panel, the only match is to Athabaskan (Alaska). The Alaska Athabaskans look East Asian, since they are as fair as some Japanese and northern Chinese (from pictures I googled of Alaskan Athabaskans).
                          I guess the tribes along the east coast of the USA, at least the Northeast, were descended from those Alaskan Athabaskan from the Northwest, but that is just my assumption because that is what I'm matching.

rainbow
                          FTDNA Customer
                          Last edited by rainbow; 17 July 2008, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Hi again Hando,

The low percentage my mom has, and the low percentage that you have, can be from recent admixture, or from admixture that happened a long time ago, but if that distant admixture is in the general population and people who have that slight admixture go on to marry with each other, then that slight admixture can be sustained/maintained in later generations.

Comment

Ftdna and Y-search is not equal? Not everybody joins Y-search after becomming their results.
                              Unless certain haplogroups have a greater propensity to join ysearch, it should be a good rough equivalency.

Comment

Working...
                              X