Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DNA Tribes scores seem high, can these be right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA Tribes scores seem high, can these be right?

Hi,
    I had my aunt's DNA panels 1 & 2 done thru FTDNA, then had to send to DNA Tribes for the analysis. I couldn't do the Omnipop thing on my home computer & can't download stuff at work, so sent her results to DNA Tribes.

The 21 marker analysis was done, but compared to the Tribes results for my mother & brother the match #'s seem really weird. Can these be correct?

My aunt's Native Population Matches:
    Banat & Transylvania, Western Romania (.99) - 1,413,131.22
    Slovenia (.99) 1,424,519.87
    Veneto, Italy (.99) 1,390,512.27
    Germany (.99) 1,265,298.93
    Szekler (Romania) (.99) 1,166,258.41
    Northeast Italy (.99) 1,087,684.55
    Czech Republic (.99) 1,045,181.84
    Puglia, Italy (.99) 1,010,552.14
    Central Poland (.99) 973,612.21
    Berber (Bouhria, Morocco) (.98) 962,679.66
    Western Poland (.99) 942,151.54
    Northern Ireland (.99) 919,217.08
    Vienna, Austria (.99) 905,867.16
    Bosnia (.99) 835,053.08
    Bavaria, Germany (.99) 830,281.12
    South Poland (.99) 827,186.88
    Italy (.99) 814,781.09
    Sweden (.99) 786,233.15
    Slovenia (.99) 783,933.65

My mom's were: (I'll just put the top 4 just to show the way the results are)
    Budapest, Hungary (.85) 256.95
    Marche, Italy (.97) 233.82
    Northern Poland (.95) 195.08
    Finland (.96) 194.49

And my brother's were:
    Basque (Vizcaya) Spain (.83) 545.85
    Iceland (.96) 374.80
    Veneto, Italy (.95) 314.67
    Extremadura, Spain (.92) 237.98

Now my aunt's were based at 21 markers, and my mom & brother's were at 15, so not sure if that's why the numbers look so much higher? Also my aunt's MTDNA haplogroup U3 seems more common than my mom's MTDNA N*
    and my brother's Y-R1a1.

I was hoping to find some link to Israel somewhere since there's supposed to be Jewish ancestry on my aunt's side. Now I'm more confused. Romania was a real surprise.

Can anyone give an interpretation on the #'s? I did email DNA Tribes & asked if they could be right because every listing was basically .99 for each of the countries. The answer was yes they were correct. At least my mom & brother's had different #'s every time.

As always, any information from this forum is appreciated.

Thanks, Marcia S.

Marcia s,

Those are truly impressive numbers! But I checked a Tribes pdf for Apache and see that true blue Apache's score in the sixty million range. Are you Eastern European?

Comment

Tomcat,

Yes, guess I am from Eastern European background. My grandmother came from Austria, but it's probably considered Poland now, what with borders changing etc. I'm still trying to wrap my head around all this DNA stuff. I got a charrge out of my aunt's Low-High resolution matches on FTDNA, because the highest ones she has are Italy. On her DNA Tribes analysis the World and Global matches list Mediterranean areas a lot, with the same high numbers as her Native matches. Based on her scores, I'm not sure now what we are exactly other than Eastern European. Just when I think I'm mostly Polish with the possibility of having Jewish ancestry, Romania pops up as the highest score, and I have no idea where that came from. Guess I had lots of ancestors marrying people from all different countries!

Marcia S.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcia S.
        Tomcat,

Yes, guess I am from Eastern European background. My grandmother came from Austria, but it's probably considered Poland now, what with borders changing etc. I'm still trying to wrap my head around all this DNA stuff. I got a charrge out of my aunt's Low-High resolution matches on FTDNA, because the highest ones she has are Italy. On her DNA Tribes analysis the World and Global matches list Mediterranean areas a lot, with the same high numbers as her Native matches. Based on her scores, I'm not sure now what we are exactly other than Eastern European. Just when I think I'm mostly Polish with the possibility of having Jewish ancestry, Romania pops up as the highest score, and I have no idea where that came from. Guess I had lots of ancestors marrying people from all different countries!

Marcia S.
        Austria but it's Poland now? You mean Galicia? There should be lots of Romanian DNA matches from there. People from Transylvania migrated to that area and blended into the population. http://tinyurl.com/5oe9dh

Regards,
        Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Honeychuck
          Austria but it's Poland now? You mean Galicia? There should be lots of Romanian DNA matches from there. People from Transylvania migrated to that area and blended into the population. http://tinyurl.com/5oe9dh

Regards,
          Jim
          This might explain why my mom got Poland, Romania and Romania as her top 3 matches on her last update.

Comment

Jim,
            Yes, it was Galicia. I don't know much about Austria or Galicia or even Poland history, so guess my work is cut out for me to study up on it. Just don't have as much time as I want to do the research I need. Plus this stupid computer of mine is acting up & kicks me off in the middle of things sometimes!
            Thanks for reminding me of Galicia tho', it was listed on my grandmother's information from the Ellis Island website. I totally forgot about that part!
            The Romanian connection must go way back, that's never been mentioned by any family member. Until I found the Ellis Island information, some of the family members thought my grandmother came straight out of Poland. But when I was a little girl I remember my dad telling me she came from Austria & I didn't understand the connection to being Polish if she was from there! Ah well, I was only about 8 years old at the time...many, many years ago!
            Thanks!
            Marcia S.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcia S.
              Jim,
              Yes, it was Galicia. I don't know much about Austria or Galicia or even Poland history, so guess my work is cut out for me to study up on it. Just don't have as much time as I want to do the research I need. Plus this stupid computer of mine is acting up & kicks me off in the middle of things sometimes!
              Thanks for reminding me of Galicia tho', it was listed on my grandmother's information from the Ellis Island website. I totally forgot about that part!
              The Romanian connection must go way back, that's never been mentioned by any family member. Until I found the Ellis Island information, some of the family members thought my grandmother came straight out of Poland. But when I was a little girl I remember my dad telling me she came from Austria & I didn't understand the connection to being Polish if she was from there! Ah well, I was only about 8 years old at the time...many, many years ago!
              Thanks!
              Marcia S.
              Right, way back. I believe that migration was complete by about the year 1500. The Wallachians moved north and lost their language when they blended with the local people in Galicia and eastern Slovakia. And eastern Moravia. So they would have no reason to mention Romania.

Clearly some of my Slovak ancestors were part of that migration too. My second highest match is to Szeklers.

Regards,
              Jim

Comment

which markers to test?

Can someone please tell me which markers I should have tested by FTDNA if I want to do this myself, and where to find the 21 marker version of Omnipop? The only version of Omnipop that I can find includes 15 markers, and FTDNA has at least 24 markers available for testing. Thanks!
                Last edited by vinnie; 12 July 2008, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnie
                  Can someone please tell me which markers I should have tested by FTDNA if I want to do this myself, and where to find the 21 marker version of Omnipop? The only version of Omnipop that I can find includes 15 markers, and FTDNA has at least 24 markers available for testing. Thanks!
                  At present there is no 21-marker version of Omnipop and Omnipop, in it's present incarnation (202), supports 9 markers most extensively, 13 less so and 15 even less. FTDNA's Autosomal Panel 1 covers all markers needed. But you might also order D2 and D19 from Panel 2 in order to access ENFSI.

Comment

Working...
                  X