Haplogroup J2 among Hispanics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haplogroup J2 among Hispanics

From looking at some of the Hispanic DNA projects it seems that haplogroup J2 always seems to make up a good number of the results in the projects. It is not the most common group in the two projects that I have looked at but it still makes up a good number of results. I have only looked at the Mexico and the New Mexico DNA projects so far.

It seems to me that J2 is more common amongst Hispanic people from the Americas than it is amongst Spaniards back in Spain. I think that some of this may be explained by the immigration of Crypto Jews from Spain to the Americas to escape persecution.

I have also noticed that, and the same seems to apply to hg E3b. I see a lot of that. It could be that centuries earlier, at the time of the Conquest and colonization, there were more people in Spain who had these hgs and then settled in the Americas. Maybe a lot had been Muslims converted to Christianity and Jews who did the same thing. A lot of them would have been labeled "New Christians". It would make sense for them to begin a new life and acquire fame and fortune, or at least escape any stigma, in the New World where no one knew anyone or their background. Or it could simply be that the regions of Spain where these settlers originated had the highest concentration of these hgs. Most came from Andalucia/ Extremadura in the southern part of the Iberian Peninsula, during the first decades of colonization.
    Last edited by juan carlos; 7 July 2008, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Crypto Judaism

As mentioned by J Man, another thought might be crypto Judaism. See Levine, All Abraham's Children. There was a significant Jewish presence in Navarre and Catalania (or Catalonia) between the Roman period and the lat 1400s. I think the estimate is something like a half million. Particularly between 711 and 900 AD this was a significant presence, but it was very strong through the reign of the last Basque King of Spain, who, like his father-in-law (Henry II of England, who carried on a tradition begun by William the Conqueror), was relatively open and tolerant of Jews. During this period a number of R1b sons converted to Judaism, which is also a part of the tapestry woven in Northern Spain at that time. Note that Crypto Jewish legend in New Mexico specifically identifies one of Cortez's crossbowmen as Crypto Jewish and one other of his company.
      Last edited by Deirwha; 7 July 2008, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Here is a good link about Jewish Y-DNA among Hispanics in New Mexico:http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...eritage07.html

It mentions the CMH which could either be J1 or J2 I think in this case. More J1s have the CMH but there are also J2s who have it.

J2 is very common among Sephardic Jews (around 28%) so there is a good chance that a lot of the J2 among Hispanics from Mexico and New Mexico is of Sephardic Jewish origin.

Comment

See also Hammer (2005), "Population Structure Of Y SNP Haplogroups...." --- in FTDNA library. In terms of absolute number, American Hispanics have more J2 than just about any other group.
          Last edited by josh w.; 7 July 2008, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by josh w.
            See also Hammer (2005), "Population Structure Of Y SNP Haplogroups...." --- in FTDNA library. In terms of absolute number, American Hispanics have more J2 than just about any other group.

I will check it out Josh thanks. By absolute number do you mean haplogroup J2 is the commonest group among them or that Hispanics make up the largest number of individual men in haplogroup J2?

Comment

Maybe J2, E1b1b, and J1 have been under reported in studies of the Iberian Peninsula?

I'm not sure how or why that would or could have occurred, but maybe more thorough studies, with larger sample sizes, would reveal that J2, J1, and E1b1b are actually more frequent in Iberia than is currently believed.

Comment

Is anything particular known about the geographic origin of Spanish immigrants into the Americas? I don't know about the distribution of Y in Spain, but I suspect that there are regions with higher percentages of J and E (eg the south or the mediterranean coast).

cacio

Comment

Hispanic geographical distribution

Check out "All Abraham's Children" for one take. It would appear to me at one time it was concentrated in the North and along Southern ports of Hispania (including what is now Portugal). But estimates for around 1497 put the Jewish population of Spain at a half million. Remember a fair sized minority of these would have had R1b y dna.

Comment

J Man, At present Italian Americans may have the largest absolute number. However, given the growth rate of Hispanics, by around 2025 they should have the highest number of J2s.
                    There are many serious measurement problems with J2 estimation and so the following figures should be taken with a grain of salt. There are roughly 8,000,000 Italian American males according to some estimates. Assuming a J2 rate of 15% of all Italian Americans (based on Italian figures) leaves a total of around 1,200,000 J2. There are roughly 23 or 24 million Hispanic American males. Based on Hammer's estimates of a 4% rate among Hispanics, there are over 900,000 Hispanic J2s. Other groups such as Jewish Americans or Turkish Americans have higher J2 rates but they comprise a very small portion of the total American population, e.g. there are probably less than 3,000,000 Jewish American males.

Comment

Originally posted by josh w.
                      J Man, At present Italian Americans may have the largest absolute number. However, given the growth rate of Hispanics, by around 2025 they should have the highest number of J2s.
                      There are many serious measurement problems with J2 estimation and so the following figures should be taken with a grain of salt. There are roughly 8,000,000 Italian American males according to some estimates. Assuming a J2 rate of 15% of all Italian Americans (based on Italian figures) leaves a total of around 1,200,000 J2. There are roughly 23 or 24 million Hispanic American males. Based on Hammer's estimates of a 4% rate among Hispanics, there are over 900,000 Hispanic J2s. Other groups such as Jewish Americans or Turkish Americans have higher J2 rates but they comprise a very small portion of the total American population, e.g. there are probably less than 3,000,000 Jewish American males.

Right yes I understand now what you meant Josh. I looked at the paper last night. Hispanics will soon most likely have the largest amount of J2 simply because there population will be the largest. Makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                      X