Defintion Confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defintion Confusion

Just when I thought I had sorted out the differences between "derived" and "ancestoral" I got myself all messed up again.

I started re-reading Wells "Deep Ancestry" book and on Page 41, 1st paragraph towards the bottom he writes "...since each letter is derived from an older version to a T ... we often denote them as positive for the derived state ... or negative ...."

In other readings (as I am doing my best to understand DNA and as many aspects of it I can) I understood "derived" to be something calculated mathematically and "assumed" without further evidence but "ancestoral" was a stronger connection because it was "inherited" so the links to the past are therefore better and more accurate.

Could someone help straighten me out??!! Having M222+ I thought this was ancestoral but is that now "derived"? How do these two terms actually differ?

THANKS,
    Robbie

Derived=positive for the SNP and ancestral=negative for the SNP.

If you are M222+, it means that you have the SNP, which occurred at some time x thousands of years ago and sets the original man in whom the SNP occurred apart from the rest of R1b-M269 at that time. As well, all the male direct descendants of that man are M222+ and are set off from the rest of R1b-M269 since then and today. (R1b-M269 had the ancestral state and was the haplogroup subclade of the father of the man who had the M222 SNP.)

Comment

Mike explained it quite well. Ancestral means the older pattern, that is, the pattern before the new mutation in question occurred. Derived means the newer pattern after the mutation happened.

Comment

Thanks

Thank you for the help and clarifying it for me - somehow I got it twisted and then it began not to make sense the more I tried to see around it - appreciate the clear feedback - thanks!

Comment

Biology terms...

The terms "ancestral" & "derived" are used in evolutionary biology. They replaced older terms such as "primitive"(now ancestral).

Comment

Working...
          X