Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do next?

Hi,

MtDNA results indicate Haplogroup T2 with 290 low resolution matches (some are HVR2) and 29 high resolution matches. How should I procede?

Thanks!

Cheryl
    Last edited by Glass; 7 July 2008, 07:30 AM.

Originally posted by Glass
    Hi,

MtDNA results indicate Haplogroup T2 with 290 low resolution matches (some are HVR2) and 29 high resolution matches. How should I procede?

Thanks!

Cheryl
    Your results are consistent with Finnish ancestry, so press on and contact your HVR1+2 matches which have Finnish ancestry too.

Probably you can't tell who they are from the FTDNA results pages, so look on Mitosearch.org.

It is rare to find a living relative using mtDNA, but you might get lucky.

Regards,
    Jim

Comment

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply. This test is for my dad's maternal line, which is Austria / Bavaria. The results are consistent here too. Would the refined mt test help much in narrowing my search?

Cheryl

Comment

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply. This test is for my dad's maternal line, which is Austria / Bavaria. The results are consistent here too. Would the refined mt test help much in narrowing my search?

Cheryl
        I'm sorry, I don't know. Hopefully someone else will answer.

In the meantime, it might help if you restate your research goals.

Regards,
        Jim

Comment

i'm fascinated by origins.

i guess my goals are to determine my families' deep roots and to maybe along the way discover information about my families and relatives.

Comment

Jim is quite correct that it's unusual to track down recent common ancestors using mtDNA. mtDNA is a lot less useful in that regard than Y-DNA is.

If it were me, I would upgrade to an FGS test (a full mitochondrial genome test). That may not make it any more likely for you to find matches, but it could make it easier to evaluate how close your matches are, and it can give you some very useful medical information too. It might also help you to classify your haplogroup more accurately.

Then again, it could give you little useful info at all... it's all the luck of the draw. Most likely, you will not get any perfect matches with a FGS test, but you could get lucky. For me, a FGS test didn't give me any more genealogical information than I got with a simple HVR1 test... but I'm still very glad that I did the test, for the potential information it will provide me as further research is done.

Comment

hi,

fyi...i looked at mitosearch and the database contains 13 perfect matches (HVR1 = 0 and HVR2 = 0). a few of the records are in the geographical area of our recent relatives.

yes, i purchased fgs for my mom and will probably do the upgrade for my dad. i'm still waiting on pending results for both of them.

thanks,

cheryl

Comment

hi,
                fyi...i looked at mitosearch and the database contains 13 perfect matches (HVR1 = 0 and HVR2 = 0). a few of the records are in the geographical area of our recent relatives.
                cheryl
                That's great that you have some HVR1+HVR2 matches, assuming you mean that both HVR1 and HVR2 combined were perfect matches. A match for one or the other region alone doesn't tell very much. In fact, even a perfect match for both regions combined doesn't tell much about any potential recent common ancestors. Those matches could be separated from you by many hundreds of years. Those results are helpful for looking at your deep ancestry though, and if you get really lucky, one of them might actually turn out to be a fairly close relative.

That's great that you ordered the FGS test. You'll get much more useful info out of that, though I wouldn't expect to see any perfect matches, simply because relatively few people have done FGS matches yet. That's changing quickly though.

Comment

thanks! yes, both hvr1 and hvr2 combined. my brother has uploaded our paper trail so we'll go from here and see what we can see!

Comment

Working...
                  X