• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CNT
    FTDNA Customer
    • Sep 2004

Ethnic Identity --- philisophical question

Hello,

Here is a thread, that has started at rootsweb.

Rootsweb DNA list

My comments are there also.

Regards,
    Costa
  • efgen
    Webinar Coordinator
    • Dec 2005

Please don't cross-post discussions between this forum and genealogy-dna (or any other forum). Those who want to read each forum will do so, and it's not appropriate to continually notify each board of every topic and post made on another forum.

Comment

• CNT
      FTDNA Customer
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by efgen
      Please don't cross-post discussions between this forum and genealogy-dna (or any other forum). Those who want to read each forum will do so, and it's not appropriate to continually notify each board of every topic and post made on another forum.
      I made the post because I thought that some forum members would be interested in the discussion at rootsweb -please note that all FTDNA forum members are not also members of the rootsweb DNA list.

So your comments were not needed !!!

Comment

• Itzhak Epstein
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by CNT
        I made the post because I thought that some forum members would be interested in the discussion at rootsweb -please note that all FTDNA forum members are not also members of the rootsweb DNA list.

So your comments were not needed !!!
        I agree with Elise that such cross-posting should be usually avoided. Most of us know about other forums and can join them if we want. Cluttering the discussion here is not helful.

Exceptions can be made where an involved give and take elsewhere is very imporant. In that case you should introduce the subject and explain why it merits reference here.

However, since you referred us to that thread -- not only is it far from philosophoical, but it is ourtright dumb and does merit discussion.

Comment

• CNT
          FTDNA Customer
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Itzhak Epstein
          I agree with Elise that such cross-posting should be usually avoided. Most of us know about other forums and can join them if we want. Cluttering the discussion here is not helful.

Exceptions can be made where an involved give and take elsewhere is very imporant. In that case you should introduce the subject and explain why it merits reference here.

However, since you referred us to that thread -- not only is it far from philosophoical, but it is ourtright dumb and does merit discussion.
          1) Sorry, but I do not agree with your comments - there are many many FTDNA forum members,that are not aware of the rootsweb list - people from countries outside of the U.S.And it would be to their benefit to find out about the rootsweb list.

2) The title : " Ethnic Identity --- philisophical question " is the one chosen by the author at rootsweb - And it does not mean that I agree with it.

3) other people at rootsweb did not think that it was " dumb "

You as everyone else is entitled to his/her opinion.

If you have any complaints then contact the forum's admin - and do not bother me in future.

Comment

• rainbow
            FTDNA Customer
            • Jun 2006

I agree with CNT. I think it's fine to mention other forums. I wish I knew more about other forums. FTDNA was the only forum I knew of for a long time. I found out about 2 other forums from this forum. Rootsweb would be the third I heard of. I haven't seen it yet, but I will take a look around. Thank you CNT for the info.
            I posted for a while in a forum I found out about on here, but left because of a mosquito, figuratively speaking.

Edit: I just looked at that link. I like the FTDNA format/thread display mode of "linear - oldest first". I won't post on the rootsweb one. If rootsweb changes to 'linear', then I'll look around. I like to scroll down and read everything at once.
            Last edited by rainbow; 24 June 2008, 05:18 PM.

Comment

• Maria_W
              • Jul 2006

Agree with CNT....

I have to agree with CNT in the respect that I don't see anything wrong with posting links here as long as they are not hatefull in nature.... I dont condone that....I like to have choices and I like being able to read posting from different forums. There are 100's of forums, one can not possibly know everyone of them... I do like FTDNA'S forum format better though....

Maria

Comment

• RegRiv
                FTDNA Customer
                • Jun 2008

Thanks for sharing that link, CNT!

Comment

• rainbow
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • Jun 2006

Hi Costa,
                  I looked at the link again and read each of the responses.
                  I found yours at http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.co...-06/1214302800
                  You're Greek but may have a Venetian Ydna, and you'll still consider yourself Greek. I thought Costa was a Portuguese or Spanish name.

I liked the response by a Diana about Ydna in general. I agree there is too much importance put on surnames/patrilineal lines.

The Ms. Kipp who is 100% English but has an mtdna that matches Scottish people now wonders if she is part Scottish. I say there is also the chance that it may just be that the Scottish people that match her are themselves desended from an English lady who moved to Scotland.

They probably won't read this unless they know about the FTNA forum.

I noticed that each person on rootsweb has their full name and email address listed there.

On the subject of ethicity/identity....I'll give my answer. Culturally, I don't have one. Bloodwise, I have several.
                  I grew up in a cosmopolitan area, among people of various ethnicities and I was always asked what I was. One of the first questions I was asked by just about anyone was "What are you?". Most people asking me that question can't seem to comprehend having more than one ethnicity. I have either none or many, depending on what 'ethnicity' means to the person doing the asking.
                  I guess culture is the foods ones eat, and the accent. Mine were influenced by people in my neighborhood. I'm an only child of a single mother. I should say I'm culturally like my mom, but I'm not. She puts ketchup on her eggs. Yuck! I don't even eat eggs. I didn't even try ketchup until a few years ago. I remember something of an international food day at school when I was a kid and every kids parent had to bring a food that was their ethnic food. Ethnic food day? We didn't have an ethnic food. But you know how teachers are and it was expected to bring something. Mom bought a can of stuff from the grocery store and brought that to my school as if she had made it herself. Kids asked me if I really ate that. I've never eaten that food. It was a can of Dinty Moore (beef stew?).
                  My all time fave food is a square with pepperoni. A 'square' is Sicilan pizza. But none of my ancestors were from Sicily, despite what my current DNATribes says.
                  Hmm...I'm getting hungry. Time to sign off and go to the kitchen.
                  Last edited by rainbow; 25 June 2008, 01:31 AM.

Comment

• CNT
                    FTDNA Customer
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by rainbow
                    Hi Costa,
                    I looked at the link again and read each of the responses.
                    I found yours at http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.co...-06/1214302800
                    You're Greek but may have a Venetian Ydna, and you'll still consider yourself Greek. I thought Costa was a Portuguese or Spanish name.
                    My surname " Tsirigakis " is Greek - and specifically from western Crete.You are referring to my first name.

They probably won't read this unless they know about the FTDNA forum.
                    That is correct - some at rootsweb have tested with non-FTDNA companies

I noticed that each person on rootsweb has their full name and email address listed there.
                    Yes, but someone can use a nome de plum instead.

Ethnic identity is just a cultural thing - like most people have said in their own
                    words.

Please read : http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~trimble/ethnicity_identity.htm

Thank you Rainbow,Maria_W and RegRiv for your posts.

Have a good day !

Best regards,
                    Costa Tsirigakis

Founder and admin Greek DNA project

Greek DNA project
                    Last edited by CNT; 26 June 2008, 08:06 AM.

Comment

• PDHOTLEN
                      FTDNA Customer
                      • Feb 2006

just a long journey...

One's Y-DNA haplotype or mtDNA haplotype are individual molecules that have traveled thru time and into and out of different cultures and languages over thousands of years.

R1a1* & U5b2

Comment

• Nagelfar
                        • Dec 2006

(next time just re-state the question rather than start a thread that is a link. It avoids a whole other philosophical question and people usually don't like opening a thread only to have to click another link)

In answer to the linked question, I think it can reinforce cultural ties, since cultural affiliation isfirst and foremost self-conception, such as a Jew belonging to the Cohen modal haplotype or a Swede belonging to I1c. (Especially if there's a maternal line or paternal line tradition in the culture and the haplogroup gives proof of long membership to it.) Though it does not dictate or become a contributing factor to basic cultural identification, and is completely null in consideration of the culture if it contradicts a cultural group to which one belongs. (i.e. it can only reinforces culture ties but does not detract from it if it's in contradiction.) ......or at least this is how I think it should be; some put more stock into their haplogroup, they discover they're of a haplogroup that is common elsewhere than where they are from, and they change their ideas about self concept (this would, however, be like Thomas Jefferson thinking of himself as an Iraqi if he'd have known his haplogroup), however since as said above it is only one molecule of one ancestor in a direct line, it shouldn't be a big contributing factor; it is more a sign of ones patriarch or matriarch, which can add to culture, but is distant from that consideration when one considers how remote and how intermixed such ancient lines are.

Comment

• CNT
                          FTDNA Customer
                          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Nagelfar
                          (next time just re-state the question rather than start a thread that is a link. It avoids a whole other philosophical question and people usually don't like opening a thread only to have to click another link)
                          You are entitled to your opinion - even if i disagree with you.

I find repeating something that already has been said ( i.e in the thread at rootsweb ) unnecessary.So many many people at rootsweb and other forums post links to news, scientific articles etc but without adding any further comments ( i.e just the link ).People from different cultures express themselves in different ways.If anyone does not wish to read my threads that is their decision-- It is called freedom of choice.

I posted the link because their are many many people out there ( non -U.S residents ) that visit the FTDNA forum and do not know that the rootsweb DNA list exists.

When I make my posts I always mention my real name - and I do not hide behind a nome de plum.

Regards,
                          Costa
                          Last edited by CNT; 27 June 2008, 03:52 AM.

Comment

• CNT
                            FTDNA Customer
                            • Sep 2004

Hello,

From a strictly scientific perspective a haplotype isn't a molecule,.. a haplotype is a specific coding variant of a specific molecule...

Regards,
                            Costa

Comment

• bob_chasm
                              • Aug 2006

Which one is more telling? Which one should count more?

I think it is different from individual to individual. For example, to a J1+cmh or J2a1* Orthodox Jewish Cohen in the USA, his y dna genetic identity maybe more telling than the fact that he comes from America.

In my personal case, I have only one 12/12 marker match. It happens to be with an Italian. I dont think this tells you or me anything about me.

bob

Comment

Working...
                              X