Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Largest DNA database ?

Hello,

I was having a discussion with a friend about the Genographic project and when we would see the results of their research work.Then my friend said " ..But they have the largest DNA database in the world ..."

My reply was " Surely, the U.S military has the worlds largest DNA database ? " - active military personnel all give a sample of their DNA.Okay,Uncle Sam is not going to give us Genetic genealogists any haplotypes ??!!! ( Laughter )

Also I have heard, that a Swiss pharmaceutical trust has access to DNA results from the whole of Iceland ? ( does anyone know about this )

Regards,
    Costa

www.decodeme.com

An Icelandic outfit offering genome-wide scans. Think there was something on their site about the Iceland data set.

Think the database size award goes to the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat

Think the database size award goes to the UK.
      Your source ? - and database size.

Regards,
      Costa

Comment

Originally posted by CNT
        Your source ? - and database size.

Regards,
        Costa
        http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7260164.stm

4.5m

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Honeychuck
          And who knows if there are DNA databases even larger - referring to the former Soviet union and China ?

Regard,
          Costa

Comment

Originally posted by CNT
            Hello,

I was having a discussion with a friend about the Genographic project and when we would see the results of their research work.Then my friend said " ..But they have the largest DNA database in the world ..."

My reply was " Surely, the U.S military has the worlds largest DNA database ? " - active military personnel all give a sample of their DNA.Okay,Uncle Sam is not going to give us Genetic genealogists any haplotypes ??!!! ( Laughter )

Also I have heard, that a Swiss pharmaceutical trust has access to DNA results from the whole of Iceland ? ( does anyone know about this )

Regards,
            Costa
            Let me clarify a few things :

The above comments were actually made by a friend - and I made the post in order to show to him that some of his comments weren't accurate.He eventually ( to cut a long story short ) told me his source.

http://www.nexushellas.gr/index.php?...ask=view&id=57

Sorry, but it is in Greek (Try google translate).Some other interesting but questionable comments made in the article.

Regards,
            Costa
            Last edited by CNT; 13 June 2008, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X