I have had some success lately with my Y DNA line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have had some success lately with my Y DNA line

I have had some success lately with my Y DNA line.

Some background information first :

1) My paternal line is from Chania,Crete - atleast, that is what my family's oral history says.As regards my current surname of " Tsirigakis " I have solid paper trail information ( source archives not from Crete ) going back to 1700.Before, that my Y DNA line surname was Georg******* ( will remain private for the time being ) which was originally from Asia Minor ( modern day Turkey).A 5th cousin of mine who has also DNA tested ( 37/37 match with me ) -
    did the paper trail research work with this earlier family surname - he
    is about 80 years-old and still a very keen genealogist.Earliest date he has found with this surname is 1645.

2) Etymologically my current surname was from the word " Cerigo ( Italian ) = Tsirigo ( Greek ) = Kythira.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kythira

3) What remains a mystery is why my ancestors would alternate between the two surnames - a father would use the Georga******* surname and his son would use the Tsirigakis surname this went on during the 1700 -1800 period.This also happened in other Tsirigakis branches.

We have managed to locate some Georga********* surname bearers who maybe willing to DNA test - let us see if they do agree to DNA test (At my expense of course)

Regards,
    Costa Tsirigakis

Greek DNA project

In addition

I should also say :

Another thing, that is quite interesting is my 34/37 match with a
    northern Italian ( Veneto ) - with the current data it is not possible
    to determine the geneflow direction.

Recently, i have had a 12/12 match with a Sicilian ( i am assuming this from his surname that appears in Malta in a variant form ) - but he is not communicating with any of his matches.He hasn't joined any project yet.

Regards,
    Costa

Comment

Costa,

Perhaps if you suggest he join the Sicily Project, which has over 300 members, with yDNA results for about 200 paternal lines, that might move things along. If he joins the Sicily Project, I would certainly encourage him to upgrade and, assuming you're still a relatively close match at higher levels, collaborate with you.

Our website is at http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Sicily , if he wants more information.

Mike Maddi
      Sicily Project Administrator

Comment

Hello Mike,

I'll send him the link to this thread - hopefully, he will join your project.

Best regards,
        Costa

Comment

Hello,

He has made contact and I have offered to pay for his 13-25 marker marker upgrade.

Regards,
          Costa Tsirigakis

Comment

He joined the Sicily Project. Unfortunately, it turns out that his paternal line and yDNA results are Maltese, not Sicilian.

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi
              He joined the Sicily Project. Unfortunately, it turns out that his paternal line and yDNA results are Maltese, not Sicilian.
              Mike,

But his surname is Sicilian.

As you may know most Maltese surnames are of Italian origin.

E-mail me.

Regards,
              Costa
              Last edited by CNT; 11 June 2008, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Mike,

Surnames of Malta

Look at the surnames in the link above - most are of Italian origin.

Regards,
                Costa

Comment

As you both are aware, National Geographic claims that some Maltese are of Phoenician origin, probably J2 and maybe E3b. It would be nice if they published their data.

Comment

Originally posted by josh w.
                    As you both are aware, National Geographic claims that some Maltese are of Phoenician origin, probably J2 and maybe E3b. It would be nice if they published their data.
                    Josh,

Maltese are descended from ancient Phoenician, Carthaginian, Italian, Arab, Sicilian, Norman, Spanish and other Mediterranean ethnic groups and the British.
                    ( quote from Maltese researcher )
                    Regards,
                    Costa
                    Last edited by CNT; 11 June 2008, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi
                      Mike,

From what I have been told his ancestry is Italian - please check your records.

Regards,
                      Costa

Comment

Originally Posted by josh w.

The National geographic does not claim anything.
                        That is where your DNA matched..
                        darroll

Comment

Originally posted by darroll
                          Originally Posted by josh w.

The National geographic does not claim anything.
                          That is where your DNA matched..
                          darroll
                          They did a great job as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Hello,

1) For those interested in Italian surnames ( eg . Try the Rossi surname to see it's distribution ).

Input surname where it says " Cognome " ( = surname )

http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/....html?cognome=

My 12/12 marker match's surname has highest concentration in Sicily.

2) Here is a link about Cerigo ( Kythera )

Cerigo (Kythera )

(.. Etymologically my current surname was from the word " Cerigo ( Italian ) = Tsirigo ( Greek ) = Kythera.....)

Regards,
                            Costa
                            Last edited by CNT; 12 June 2008, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CNT
                              Hello,

1) For those interested in Italian surnames ( eg . Try the Rossi surname to see it's distribution ).

Input surname where it says " Cognome " ( = surname )

http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/....html?cognome=

My 12/12 marker match's surname has highest concentration in Sicily.

2) Here is a link about Cerigo ( Kythera )

Cerigo (Kythera )

(.. Etymologically my current surname was from the word " Cerigo ( Italian ) = Tsirigo ( Greek ) = Kythera.....)

Regards,
                              Costa
                              Costa,

Efcharisto poli! This is very useful - much better than searching the Italian white pages to see where my family names are. It's very intestesting to see both the numbers of people who share my names as well as their geographic distribution within Italy. After looking at a few of my names, I've got a better idea of which ones I may want to follow up on for DNA testing, either in the U.S., or in Italy.

Vinnie

Comment

Working...
                              X