Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible that Y-haplogroup I is really related to R and not J?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible that Y-haplogroup I is really related to R and not J?

Is the way that different Y-haplogroups are classified subjective?

Take a look at ISOGG's (International Society of Genetic Genealogists) yDNA haplogroup tree, at http://www.isogg.org/tree/ISOGG_YDNATreeTrunk08.html

You'll see that there's nothing subjective about the relationship about haplogroup I with either R or J. The relationship is based on which SNPs are shared or not shared by those 3 haplogroups. Scientific studies have consistently shown that I and J share upstream SNPs (M429/P125, P123, P124, P126, P127, P129, P130, S2, S22), which R does not have.

It is the case that I and J and are descended from IJ and R from K (through P). Both IJ and K are descended from F. So while I and J are "brother" clades, R is a "2nd or 3rd cousin" to them.

Comment

I was just wondering. If I'm not mistaken an IJ has never been found. And a lot of Is come from a very cold part of the world and Js seem to come from a very warm area.

Comment

Originally posted by twang
        I was just wondering. If I'm not mistaken an IJ has never been found. And a lot of Is come from a very cold part of the world and Js seem to come from a very warm area.

Haplogroups I and J are more closely related to each other than either of them are to any other haplogroups in the world. They both come from haplogroup IJ which most likely originated in either the Middle East of West Asia. AN original IJ* so far has not yet been founf. It might easily be that all of the IJs in the world have turned into Is and Js.

On the other hand haplogroups R and Q are more closely related to each other as they both come from P.

Comment

Working...
        X