Deep R Clade testing.... anybody?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep R Clade testing.... anybody?

Just checking. I've been a predicted R1b1b2* (aka R1b1c*) person for quite a while. The Deep R Clade test offer looks like an efficient and quick way get the SNP testing done in a comprehensive way so I ordered it. This way I'll know for sure what sub-clade I'm in, or just as importantly, not in. Since rs34276300 looks to be very important, I ordered that too. Are many of you other R1b1b2* predicted type folks doing the same?

If the Deep Clade-R test indicates a specific subclade, then the rs34276300 test is unnecessary. Hence, I recommended the Deep Clade-R to my project members, but not (yet) the rs34276300.

Ordering both does get you a more complete answer in a single waiting period, but then you might consider also ordering DYF385, which is a very good indicator of whether you belong to Balkan-Eastern R1b1b2* vs. Western R1b1b2*. DYF385 is not the same as DYS385.

Comment

Originally posted by mwwalsh
      Just checking. I've been a predicted R1b1b2* (aka R1b1c*) person for quite a while. The Deep R Clade test offer looks like an efficient and quick way get the SNP testing done in a comprehensive way so I ordered it. This way I'll know for sure what sub-clade I'm in, or just as importantly, not in. Since rs34276300 looks to be very important, I ordered that too. Are many of you other R1b1b2* predicted type folks doing the same?
      I'm predicted R1b1b2, and I ordered both of the tests that you did (results still pending). Lgmayka is quite correct that rs34276300 may turn out to be unnecessary if you've ordered the deep clade-R test, but I'm the impatient type, so I prefer to get all my results at once, rather than waiting for the first set of results before I decide if an additional test is necessary.

If you don't mind the wait and want to be potentially more cost-efficient, then order them one-at-a-time, starting with the deep clade-R.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostX
        I'm predicted R1b1b2, and I ordered both of the tests that you did (results still pending). Lgmayka is quite correct that rs34276300 may turn out to be unnecessary if you've ordered the deep clade-R test....
        I understand that rs34276300 may be unnecessary if I come out in particular sub-clades, but I ordered it in parallel for two reasons. One, I'm impatient too and the probability appears that I'll still be R1b1b2* anyway so the rs34276300 will be important (and its not that expensive). Two, rs34276300 is not included in the new formal YCC tree definition partly because there is still some uncertainty about it. I'm tired of being only "predicted" and therefore subject to uncertainty even if it is small.

Comment

rs34276300 is not included in the new formal YCC tree definition partly because there is still some uncertainty about it.
          It's actually not included in the YCC tree simply because it hasn't been published yet, as it's a relatively recent discovery. That YCC tree was slightly out-of-date the day it was published. rs34276300 (S116) is on the more up-to-date ISOGG tree though.

Anyway, I agree with your reasons for ordering both tests!

Comment

Well, I took all the tests: the deep R test and the rs test, and I'm still R1b1b2 or R1b1c, however, they did not even assign me an asterisk. I guess I have to wait until a new subclade is discovered. I still do not know the geographic origin of my haplogroup since I tested negative for all the subclades and positive for the rs test.

Comment

Originally posted by juan carlos
              Well, I took all the tests: the deep R test and the rs test, and I'm still R1b1b2 or R1b1c, however, they did not even assign me an asterisk. I guess I have to wait until a new subclade is discovered. I still do not know the geographic origin of my haplogroup since I tested negative for all the subclades and positive for the rs test.
              Negative information is still useful data. Assuming that you are not adopted, you have your surname, and perhaps a village of origin in the Old World. If for example you are from Iberia, it decreases the likelihood of invading Central European Celts (R1b1b2h), Suebi or Vandals (R1b1b2g), or a wandering Irish merchant (R1b1b2e). It increases the probability of an origin in the Atlantic Facade in the Bronze Age. If you are from Iberia it heightens (but does not prove) the probability that your ancestors may have remained in the Cantabrian part of the Franco-Cantabrian refugium (many will argue that R1b1b2 is "too young" but until I see evidence from ancient DNA sites I will never believe this based on shaking mathematical models). I presume you have joined the FTDNA group for those who have tested positive for the rs# whose name I will never recall - equivalent to S116 anyway. They are plotting the distribution pattern of those whose test results turn out as yours have.

Comment

Originally posted by DKF
                Negative information is still useful data. Assuming that you are not adopted, you have your surname, and perhaps a village of origin in the Old World. If for example you are from Iberia, it decreases the likelihood of invading Central European Celts (R1b1b2h), Suebi or Vandals (R1b1b2g), or a wandering Irish merchant (R1b1b2e). It increases the probability of an origin in the Atlantic Facade in the Bronze Age. If you are from Iberia it heightens (but does not prove) the probability that your ancestors may have remained in the Cantabrian part of the Franco-Cantabrian refugium (many will argue that R1b1b2 is "too young" but until I see evidence from ancient DNA sites I will never believe this based on shaking mathematical models). I presume you have joined the FTDNA group for those who have tested positive for the rs# whose name I will never recall - equivalent to S116 anyway. They are plotting the distribution pattern of those whose test results turn out as yours have.
                Yes, I have joined that group. My heritage is indeed Spanish, but I tested negative for the most common Iberian sub-clades. So I am back to square one. And no, I am not adopted and do know the region where my ancestors came from. The Y line came from the Canary Islands, island of La Gomera. Difficult to find matches, though. I think that only if my relatives tested, I would then have some matches. In the meantime, I wait. I"ll see what the group's distribution pattern turns out. I have only had low resolution matches on my mtdna, which is H6a, even after the refinement test. But this is fun, in the sense that I am learning.

Comment

Originally posted by juan carlos
                  Did you take the new deep Clade R "integrated" test from FTDNA? I signed up on the first day and they say it won't be completed until about 6/23/2008. Is that the Deep Clade R test you took? I think you are saying you are positive for S116/rs34276300... That is something as I believe that indicates you are in the western atlantic side of R1b1b2. I suspect that's where I'll end up.

Comment

Did you take the new deep Clade R "integrated" test from FTDNA? I signed up on the first day and they say it won't be completed until about 6/23/2008. Is that the Deep Clade R test you took? I think you are saying you are positive for S116/rs34276300... That is something as I believe that indicates you are in the western atlantic side of R1b1b2. I suspect that's where I'll end up.
                    I took all the tests they offered, plus the rs test when it came out. It did not change anything. I was R1b1c and now R1b1b2. The same thing I knew before taking those deep clade tests. Yes, the last one means I belong to the western atlantic group.

Comment

Working...
                    X