Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MMaddi
    replied
    Actually, there's a Brady Surname Project already, with 13 members, at http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Brady/ I think you have a good case to become a member, if you contact the project administrator and inform him of your close match to the Brady on ysearch.

Here's a link to the haplotypes of the 13 members of that project - http://tinyurl.com/6hl9wj

Two of your distinctive markers are DYS385b=15 and DYS447=26. Kit number 63879 matches you on those two, but only has 37 markers. (His ancestry is also from Ireland.) If you can contact him, maybe you can convince him to upgrade to 67. Also, kits numbers 39655 and N63622 only have 12 markers, but are an exact match to your first 12 markers. You obviously would like to see them upgrade to at least 37.

You can present this to the project administrator and get yourself in the project. That would make it easier to make comparisons and contact fellow members about upgrading.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Wow, thank you Mike, that's all really helpful... You obviously understand this Y-DNA stuff better than me.

Leave a comment:

• MMaddi
    replied
    Originally posted by asmyth
    Thanks bob, tomcat,

I got my full 67 marker results today.

I have joined Ysearch already and I will see if I can join the others suggested now also.

At least 4 or my 5 close matches via familttreedna appear to be of Irish ancestry and there are only 2 surnames within the matches, Brady x 4 and Byrne x 1.

I am User ID: MJDT3 on Ysearch if anyone is able to look at my exact results and comment on them.

Many Thanks

Al
    Here are your closest matches, with a genetic distance of 12 or less, at 67 markers - http://tinyurl.com/6caes2

Your closest match is easily Brady, with a GD of 5, with the two Spicers and Cannon in the range of 9-11. Putting these results into the McGee Y-DNA Utility, it comes up with a probable common ancestor for you and Brady about 390 years ago, at 30 years/generation. The other three are estimated to share a common ancestor with you from 750-840 years ago.

Unfortunately, Brady doesn't know the ancestry of his most distant known ancestor, who lived in the late 1700s. But you have a number of relatively close matches who have Irish ancestry and Brady does sound Irish.

Your best strategy is to recruit Brady men with Irish ancestry to test at 67 markers. That would narrow down your "needle in a haystack" search.

Good luck. You may want to read my success story, so far, which may give you hope - http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=5713

Mike Maddi

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Thanks bob, tomcat,

I got my full 67 marker results today.

I have joined Ysearch already and I will see if I can join the others suggested now also.

At least 4 or my 5 close matches via familttreedna appear to be of Irish ancestry and there are only 2 surnames within the matches, Brady x 4 and Byrne x 1.

I am User ID: MJDT3 on Ysearch if anyone is able to look at my exact results and comment on them.

Many Thanks

Al

Leave a comment:

• tomcat
    replied
    Your project is not hopeless, others have been successful in such searches, but you may have to test further.

Do your partial matches have anything in common such as surname/surname variants, ethnicity, haplogroup/subclade, or geography of origin? Is the evident surname or ethnicity common or rare in that geography? And is your haplogroup/subclade common in your geography or rare?

For large haplogroups/sublclades or haplogroups/subclades common in a geography the chance of false positives is high, especially on limited marker profiles.

If your closest matches so far have a shared surname or variants you should see if there is a surname project, urge your matches to join if they have not and enroll your uncle.

You should post your marker profile to as many databases as possible (SMGF, Yhrd, Ysearch and others) and enroll, in addition ot the surname group, in an appropriate sublcade, ethnicity or geographical project.
    Last edited by tomcat; 13 May 2008, 08:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bob armstrong
    replied
    Hello Al,
    Have you entered your scores on Ysearch? If not, do so, & see what surnames are thrown up as near misses. As an example, you may be lucky & find 4 or 5 McLaren's or Hamilton's or whatever. This would be a good starting point as to what your surname might be. Also, my example above would obviously suggest Scottish roots. You may be unlucky & find you have no multiples of a surname, or no geographical clues as to your ancestors original stamping grounds, in which case, I'm afraid you may have to wait until you find future matches.
    Hopefully, some of the experts on DNA will take a look at your results & see if they show any clues as to your origins as some of your markers may suggest a certain lineage.
    Good luck,
    Bob

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Adopted Person - Y-DNA Advice Please

Adopted Person - Y-DNA Advice Please

Hi,

My grandfather (1912-1991, London, England) was adopted. His natural father has always been unknown.

I recently had his only son, my uncle, take a Y-DNA 67 test.

I have had all the results of this back now, except for PANEL 4 (38 - 47) which is still "Lab Results Pending", but I'm not expecting that info to change my situation much at this stage as nearly all my matches so far have only taken the Y-37 test or less.

I have lots of 12 marker matches.

At 25 markers, I have no exact matches but 6 genetic distance of 1 matches and 20 genetic distance of 2 matches.

At 37 markers, I have 1 genetic distance of 3 match and 4 genetic distance of 4 matches.

Most of the advice on this website seems to say "If you have a surname match and...". My issue is that it doesn't seem to give much advice for adopted people, where the surname is completely unknown!

Is anyone who understands Y-DNA better than me able to offer any advice on my results?

Have I got results that indicate a connection in a geneaogical timeframe yet?

If I do I would really like to try to investigate further, if my matches are prepared to let me see their GEDCOM files, by expanding on their trees and then seeing if I can find a branch coming down that could have been in London c.1912. But I don't want to get my hopes up doing this if it is hopeless!

Many Thanks

Al
Working...
X