Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sour Grapes

www.livescience.com/history/071207-hn-dna-kits.html

Found this on another message board, and debated about posting here. However, as much as I disagree with the conclusions, I thought the FTdna community might wish to be aware of this kind of vitriol being spouted by a person who appears to be credible, if confused. She apparently does not have all of the facts.

I am a loyal FTdna customer, and plan to continue as such for many years to come.

Shock of the New(?)

Yeah, that article was a little vitrolic. But that kind of thing is probably an inevitable byproduct of people wading into these uncharted waters without proper emotional maturity or preparation.

I would hope that the response of most customers would be a sense of thrill at being allowed in on the ground floor of an emerging field of study. But some people, like the author of that article, apparently, are too anxious to be handed a simple, quick answer.

And I'd like to point out that for every person giving up in frustration there are probably 10 others who embrace this technology, and are keen to encourage new developments. This very forum is a great case-in-point. I've always been very happy with the thoughtful, instructive responses shared by people on this forum.

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by terjess
      www.livescience.com/history/071207-hn-dna-kits.html

Found this on another message board, and debated about posting here. However, as much as I disagree with the conclusions, I thought the FTdna community might wish to be aware of this kind of vitriol being spouted by a person who appears to be credible, if confused. She apparently does not have all of the facts.

I am a loyal FTdna customer, and plan to continue as such for many years to come.
      All I could find was a post about Herpes causing the demise of the coral reefs..
      There are literally hundreds of DNA testing facilities, what happens when they start making donuts?
      What gets to me is when someone
      Last edited by darroll; 24 February 2008, 05:01 PM.

Comment

article

The link does not work now, but you can Copy & Paste from the original post, or enter it manually into your browser's address bar.

The article was written by Meredith F. Small, Human Nature Columnist at http://www.livescience.com .

As this is very much an emerging technology, many with an agenda of their own will be critical of using DNA as a tool for genealogy.

Comment

Maybe 'sour grapes' because those in the under-paid and under-financed population and anthroplogical genetics communities resent the harvest of their work for gain? Maybe.

Or maybe they regard the popular and unstructured public investment in personal genetics as a colossal waste of limited resources?

Comment

Working...
          X