Neanderthal DNA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neanderthal DNA

Is there any information Available on which Male haplogroup contains Neanderthal DNA and how much they contain. As you know it's been said that no modern females contain Neanderthal DNA,so only a few male haplogroups have it.
    I read in a book that Neanderthals lived for hundreds of years and had larger brains,so they were smarter than modern day people-so,if some males contain those genes do they live longer and are their brains a larger/smarter?I'd like to see a picture of the guys with Neanderthal genes.

Can you tell by our autosomal DNA if we have Neanderthal SNP's in our autosomal genes from both parents and grand+ greatgrandParents?

How does science explain that Most Neanderthals share NO DNA with modern People.Are there different orders of people like there are different orders (kinds)of animals? For instance,Tasmanian Tigers are extinct,but not cats or dogs.

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news/...name_page.html

It's never been found in a living human, as far as I know.
    Bryan Sykes looked for Neanderthals in Wales.
    Last edited by rainbow; 11 February 2008, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Wales' oldest burial? 12000 bce?

Originally posted by rainbow
      http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news/...name_page.html

It's never been found in a living human, as far as I know.
      Bryan Sykes looked for Neanderthals in Wales.
      This was nowhere near Neanderthal, but a (19th C) Welsh find was a "Red Paint" burial, first named as the "Red Lady of Paviland", in a cave on the Gower coast near Swansea.
      Later examination reveals a young Cro-magnon type male, radio-dated at ca 12000 BCE. A post-LGM repopulation person? Or one of a refugial survivor group? (The maximal LGM glacier limit is shown on charts as having been no further south than mid-Wales.)

Comment

Wales : Red Lady 26,000 ybp!!! Doggerland period.

Apologies, I was writing from schoolday memories!
        This burial was BEFORE the LGM and must be pre-refugial!! The North Sea Clacton "spear" was part of the Doggerland culture, 30,000 BCE, of the same period.

Much more interesting than what I wrote, the proper ref. is:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Lady_of_Paviland

Comment

Red Lady is 29,000 YBP

Welsh "Red Lady" red paint burial has been redated to 29,000 ybp, and Prof Brian Sykes is said to have identified the DNA. On present dating the young Cro-Magnon male was contemporary with the very last Neanderthals, (but unlikely to have met them since they were placed in Iberia.). Now the race is on for the DNA to be declared ancestral to some of our posters!

http://www.britarch.ac.uk/ba/ba61/feat3.shtml

Comment

Svaante Paabo at the Planck Institute

Svaante Paabo at the Planck Institute has lately released results for his DNA analysis of Neanderthal specimens and has found that European and Asian descended people have between 1 and 4% Neanderthal DNA. Your question might better be answered if it were sent there.

Comment

Well, here we go again, more political do do... Keep it off the forum!!!

Comment

I have read that "possibly" the place to find Neanderthal DNA in humans is the very rare mt-dna Haplogroups of I, W and X.

This may or may not be true, but the speculation is that I, W and X look "different" than other human DNA and some ot the mutations are the same as Neanderthal.

Regardless, they are all three very old European haplogroups associated with the first peoples to enter Europe and X is also seen in Native Americans.

My theory is the may look different due to the mutations in the same environment as Neanderthal, not due to mixing per say with Neanderthals.

Haplogroups I, W and X are very old. I believe my mt-dna Haplo, I4, is in general in Cornwall (traditional geneology backs this up with the surname Cole in the mt-dna direct line as well as research of Southeastern North Carolina area being populated by people from Cornwall, Wales and Southwest England<other I4 also being from Cornwall) and has been there for a extremely long time

Comment

Originally posted by BlackWolf View Post
                  I have read that "possibly" the place to find Neanderthal DNA in humans is the very rare mt-dna Haplogroups of I, W and X.

This may or may not be true, but the speculation is that I, W and X look "different" than other human DNA and some ot the mutations are the same as Neanderthal.

Regardless, they are all three very old European haplogroups associated with the first peoples to enter Europe and X is also seen in Native Americans.

My theory is the may look different due to the mutations in the same environment as Neanderthal, not due to mixing per say with Neanderthals.

Haplogroups I, W and X are very old. I believe my mt-dna Haplo, I4, is in general in Cornwall (traditional geneology backs this up with the surname Cole in the mt-dna direct line as well as research of Southeastern North Carolina area being populated by people from Cornwall, Wales and Southwest England<other I4 also being from Cornwall) and has been there for a extremely long time
                  My husband is I4, as determined by SNPs in the coding region at 23andMe (not a FGS). His Mitosearch ID is 7CPMT, and he has no matches. His maternal line goes back to Abigail Darby in Scotch Plains, NJ.

I rather doubt there is any Neanderthal connection. The HVR1 motif for Neanderthal's is 16037G, 16139t, 16244A, 16262T, 16263.1A. The HVR1 motif for haplogroup I is 16129A, 16391A, so there's nothing in common there. What mutations were you referring to?

Comment

The article stated I believe it was C16223T?

I will have to get the article and paste it here.

Comment

Working...
                    X