Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you get DNA from ancestors to match up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you get DNA from ancestors to match up?

My maiden name is Beauchamp. THis family goes a long way back to England. From what I have read the DNA test is only conclusive for back to the eighth greatgrandfather, can it go further than that? And how would you make a connection if there is no DNA from an ancestor to match? I have read that it is easier to match male descendants. I'm guessing that means my brother would be a good source for a DNA sample. My grandson is comes from my daughter. Would he be able to connect to the Beauchamp Line? Thanks for any help.

Re: Where do you get DNA from ancestors to match up?

Originally posted by sbeau
    My maiden name is Beauchamp. THis family goes a long way back to England. From what I have read the DNA test is only conclusive for back to the eighth greatgrandfather, can it go further than that? And how would you make a connection if there is no DNA from an ancestor to match? I have read that it is easier to match male descendants. I'm guessing that means my brother would be a good source for a DNA sample. My grandson is comes from my daughter. Would he be able to connect to the Beauchamp Line? Thanks for any help.
    Sbeau,
    Your third & last last question is easiest to answer
    If you are interested in the Beauchamp line, matches can only be made with direct male line descendants, so unfortunately your grandson won't connect to the Beauchamp line. However, your brother will.

As for your first question.....
    Yes it is easier to make matches with males, with a Y-chromosome marker test.

The answer to your second question is a bit more complicated...Its not a clearcut case of tests being 100% definitive to a specific number of generations. I'll try to explain,...
    The Y-chromosome is passed down the male line, from father to son and every so often when the chromosome is passed down there are little tiny changes - its from these little tiny changes that are passed down, we can distinguish between different male lines of descent.
    People make connections to a common ancestor by taking a Y-marker test, and matching with other people (if any) in the data base with those same marker scores (or scores that are very close matches.
    There are three different Y-chromosome marker tests, the 12 marker test, the 25 marker test and the 37 marker test.
    If two people take the 12 marker test and match perfectly, their is a 50% chance they have a common ancestor within 14 generations. With a 25 marker test there is a 50% chance of being related within 7 generations, and with a 37 marker test there is a 50% chance of being related within 5 generations.

Which test to use depends on what sorts of family history questions you want answered. With the 12 marker test you will match more people (but with some of them the common ancestor may go back many generations).
    Hope this helps
    Angela.

Comment

Working...
    X