mtDNA Haplogroups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mtDNA Haplogroups?

I have a few questions about haplogroups. First, does the DNAPrint reveal which haplogroup a person belongs to? I noticed on the message board that others who took the test say that they found out which haplogroup they belong to. How can I find that information about myself on my DNAPrint results?

My next question: does belonging to a specific haplogroup on the maternal side mean that everyone who belongs to that group came from one female ancestor?

My last question: I took a Native American Verification test through a different company and I was told that I test negative for Native American on my maternal side but that I belong to Haplogroup C. This confused me because when I researched mtDNA Haplogroup C, I found that it is a Native American group. Why would I have tested negative for Native American when I belong to a Native American group?
    Thanks.

Re: mtDNA Haplogroups?

Originally posted by happy
    I have a few questions about haplogroups. First, does the DNAPrint reveal which haplogroup a person belongs to? I noticed on the message board that others who took the test say that they found out which haplogroup they belong to. How can I find that information about myself on my DNAPrint results?

My next question: does belonging to a specific haplogroup on the maternal side mean that everyone who belongs to that group came from one female ancestor?

My last question: I took a Native American Verification test through a different company and I was told that I test negative for Native American on my maternal side but that I belong to Haplogroup C. This confused me because when I researched mtDNA Haplogroup C, I found that it is a Native American group. Why would I have tested negative for Native American when I belong to a Native American group?
    Thanks.
    Hi Happy
    The DNA print test itself does not test for the mtDNA nor the Y-marker haplotypes. It tests completely different DNA. The people that have had their DNA print test done know their haplotype because they have had those tests done as well.
    The DNA print looks at the autosomal DNA (on the 44 the non sex-chromosomes) which gets mixed up down each generation, and the results give rough percentages of "racial background". If you are wanting the tests to verify Native American ancestry, you should be aware that a certain % of people with Native American ancestry get false "East Asian" ancestry, which can confuse the results. If you want to get this test done, you should be aware that the results are by no means 100% "black and white" - ie. the results are at best only a general indication of "racial background".

Yes, if you are in a specific haplogroup from your maternal mtDNA, everyone in that haplotype is descended (on their strict maternal side) from one common ancestor. This common ancestor would have lived many thousands of years ago.

Yes, Haplotype C is found in Native Americans, so like you I cannot understand why you tested negative for Native American. The only reason I can think of is that it is found in low numbers in Native Americans and is also found in East Asians - so the test is probably erring on the side of caution.

Hope this helps,

Angela.

Comment

Angela,
      I just wanted to thank you for answering my questions. Wow! I finally understand the differences between the different DNA tests. Your explanation was so clear and simple. It’s all so fascinating. How amazing that a haplogroup comes from one ancestor. I never would have guessed that I was related to Native Americans. Haplotype C is found in large numbers in specific Native American tribes.

I recently took the DNAPrint test and my results were over 60 percent Native American. I guess the reason that I got a negative result on the Native American Verification test is that it tested my female lineage and they were a high percentage of European. But because of my DNAPrint test results and the mtDNA “Haplotype C” result, I think I can feel certain that I do in fact have Native American ancestry.
      happy

Comment

Working...
      X