Y-DNA matches at 25 and 37

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y-DNA matches at 25 and 37

On the 25 marker test, I have 25 exact matches. On the 37 marker test, I have no exact matches but do have 11 matches at a genetic distance of -1. Two of the 37 marker matches do not appear anywhere on the 25 marker matches, Both have my last name.

Why wouldn't these two show up anywhere in the 25 marker matches?

Your help would be appreciated

RonD

Y-DNA Matches at 25 and 37 markers

You have a tremendous number of exact matches at 25 markerrs that don't show up at 37 and 37 marker matches that don't show up at 25 markers.

If you were tested by FTDNA then I would write to Bennett Greenspan, FTDNA President, that situation will probably get his immediate attention.
    Some of your matches at 25 markers may not have been tested at 37 markers, but I cannot explain why the 37 marker matches do not show up at 25 markers.

I read somewhere in this forum that meaningful matches at 12 markers are 11/12 and higher, 23/25 at 25 markers, 33/37 at 37 markers and 60/67 at 67 markers.

Hidden matches, as far as your personal page is concerned, may only be shown as a difference in the total number of matches by country on the Recent Ancestral Origins page. That onlyoccurs when the testees do not allow their personal identification and e-mail addresses to be published by FTDNA. I had a slew of those. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

Here's the breakdown for the seventeen 25 marker exact matches:

Marker Distance Count
      37 0 0
      37 -1 8
      37 -2 4
      37 -3 3
      Not in 37 Markers 2
      Total 17

rond

Comment

Bad 37 to 67 markers

About a year and a half ago I upgraded from 37 to 67 markers and had very strange results. I was a very close match with several other similar surnamed cousins at 37 markers, but my upgrade numbers (38-67) were awful. I had a genetic distance of about 22 with those 20 markers.. I knew something was wrong. If these markers were that far off at 67 markers then how could anyone trust a 37 marker test to be accurate? After several telephone calls to FTDNA, I finally got someone who realized that something had gone terribly wrong. But the earlier phone calls apparently went to people who had no idea what they were talking about and insisted my 38-67 marker GD of 22 was nothing to get excited about. After another testing error brought my GD down to a 12, I still complained and a complete retest was done. So finally...after several months, my re-re-test finally indicated a 38-67 GD of 0 with my cousins. So if your test markers don't make sense, Just keep complaining until FTDNA gets it right. Obviously, even FTDNA is not perfect.
        To make amends for the errors of their way, FTDNA sent me a free 67 marker "Diploma" that normally costs 10 bucks extra. It didn't make up for two months of frustration...
        Bill

Comment

Originally posted by wmccown

I read somewhere in this forum that meaningful matches at 12 markers are 11/12 and higher, 23/25 at 25 markers, 33/37 at 37 markers and 60/67 at 67 markers.
          What does "meaningful matches" mean? I only ask because I have lots of 12/12 matches, also 33/37, 61/67 (4) and 60/67 (1).

Harry

Comment

Originally posted by rond
            Two of the 37 marker matches do not appear anywhere on the 25 marker matches, Both have my last name.

Why wouldn't these two show up anywhere in the 25 marker matches?
            The User Preferences tab gives a customer the ability to shut off matching at any chosen level. Some of your matches were probably getting "too many" match notices at the 25-marker level, so they shut off that level and only wish to receive notice of 37-marker matches.

Comment

Originally posted by wmccown

The 25 meaningful distance must be wider since the match that shows up on my page is 22/25.

Comment

Y-DNA Matches at 25 and 37 markers

Relevant matches to me mean matches that FTDNA rate as important enough to report. I am pleased and surprised that they reported a 22/25 match.

I think you may be able to get the FTDNA values it deems important by reading through the links on the FTDNA Home Page Site Map. It is a very valuable resource.

They are currently reporting 11/12 and 12/12 within my surname. At 25, 37 and 67 markers there are no matches within my surname but they are reporting at 23/25, 33/37 and from 60-63/67 for non-surname matches. I think enough of those matches from 25-67 markers, all of Irish origin and mostly from a few adjacent counties in Ulster that I have retained the adminiistrator of the FTDNA Ulster Heritage group, www.ulsterheritage.com, to pursue my family history.

Most of those are related to or descended from the Maguires in the 13th century. Is it a long shot? Yes, but at my age I don't have time for the other 1600 McCown households to get tested to at least 37 markers and have the courtesy to let FTDNA publish them as matches.

Comment

Working...
                X