Ancestry by DNA Ashkenazi Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry by DNA Ashkenazi Results

My son just received his results: 97% Europe and 3% East Asia. The Europe is then broken down into 53% Northern Europe, 37% Southeastern Europe, 7% Middle East and 3% South Asia. Does anyone think that his results are unusual for an Ashkenazi Jew with all known origins in Eastern Europe?

Unrelated to this test, but our YDNA is R1b, my mother's father was J2 and my mother and wife are H.

Lloyd Appel

Your Ydna and Mtdna also point to northern European ancestry. As to what is typically Ashkenazi---not a simple question. Ydna R1b and Mtdna H are not uncommon among Ashkenazi. My ballpark guess is that around one third of all Jews have conversion in their history (See Paul Kriwaczek's "Yiddish Civilizaion"). To give an autosomal example, there are plenty of Ashkenazim with blond hair and blue eyes.
    In terms of history, the Ashkenazi first lived in Germany before migrating east.. In addition Jews also headed east after expulsion from western European countries such as England and France.
    Last edited by josh w.; 12 December 2007, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lapp15
      My son just received his results: 97% Europe and 3% East Asia. The Europe is then broken down into 53% Northern Europe, 37% Southeastern Europe, 7% Middle East and 3% South Asia. Does anyone think that his results are unusual for an Ashkenazi Jew with all known origins in Eastern Europe?

Don't know what is 'usual' for Ashkenazim but your son's results seem 'reasonable' given the way AbDNA sorts European regions. A strong SE European score is to be expected for Ashkenazi. If AbDNA further parsed Northern Europe I suppose your son might get a greater NE than NW European score given your ancestry.

A score for Asia Minor seems reasonable but you can ignore the other minor Asian scores as statistical noise.
      Last edited by tomcat; 12 December 2007, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Ancestry by DNA Ashkenazi Results

Originally posted by LernerTzvi
        For those that are Ashkenazi and entered their autosomal DNA into Omnipop, do you closely match with the Jewish database? For some reason, I did not.

How do you enter your autosomal DNA into Omnipop?

Comment

Jewish data in Omnipop is limited to the 9 Green Cell markers - only enter those markers if you want to assess your match against the Jewish data (the greatest number of populations in Omnipop are based on 9 Green Cell data).

Omnipop call for the autosomal STR's that DNATribes, the cops and paternity-testing outfits use, and are available on FTDNA's Autosomal Panel 1. FTDNA Panel 2 includes STR's needed on ENFSI - the European forensisc db.

Comment

Working...
          X