• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NY TIMES article on DNA testing...

11/24/07

Here's an article in today's NY TIMES:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/25/bu...ewanted=1&_r=1

I hope this link works.

I always wonder whenever I see people getting "definitive" results for Sierra Leone. This was far from an isolated community. There were so many refugees going there from British North America, the United States and the Caribbean that I don't see how a DNA match for this area would tell much in terms of specific African origins.

Comment

That's why it helps to know world history.

Comment

That was very interesting! Thanks for the link to the newspaper article. I almost stopped after the first page but then I noticed it had 3 pages to it. Read all 3 pages. I remember the PBS tv show with Dr. Gates and Oprah. I loved that show.

My tests also contradicted each other. My mtDNA is H. That part was okay. The 2 tests that contradicted each other and my known ancestry was my AncestryByDna and DNA Tribes. AncestryByDna says I'm 83% European & 17% Native American. I have no known Amerind ancestry. Then I test with DNA Tribes, but I have NO matches to Amerinds...and my second highest match was to Mozambique! I thought one of the companies (or both) had mixed my results with someone elses. Anyway. After a lot of speculation on how I could be part Mozambique (and lots of other African matches, including Zulu) I get an updated report with Pentas that removes all my SubSaharan matches. But I match Morocco now. I still have the Kenyan bracelets I bought. I'm not gonna buy a Moroccan rug or anything else.The last page of the newspaper article about Mozambique was interesting. One person said he matched Mozambique. Since I already went thru that I found that it was possible that the different European countries traded slaves in the Caribbean. A Mozambique Portuguese slave could be traded for an West African English or Dutch slave. I found out that a ship from Madagascar stayed at , forgot the town name, a place in the Carolinas for several days. Madagascar is close enough to Mozambique for the people to have the same dna.

I have no DNA Tribes Amerind matches. But now AncestryByDna says my 17% could be from the Romans who had Central Asian markers. Maybe I just have a lot of ancient Roman ancestry?
        My known ancestry is 3/4 British/Dutch & 1/4 Czechoslovakian.
        Last edited by rainbow; 26 November 2007, 12:55 AM.

Comment

I'll skip autosomal testing

I just don't want to be confused any more than I already am, regarding DNA testing, so I'm skipping the autosomal tests. I know I'm quite a mixture of various European strains.

U5b2 & R1a1

Comment

My friend is worried about classifying her fungi and mushrooms. She is not saying anything for now. They have autosomes too, you know.

I know autosomes are interesting by why in animals the mtDNA was the 5 µm circle, whereas in plants and fungi mtDNAs appeared to be much longer (20 µm or more)?

Originally posted by PDHOTLEN
            I just don't want to be confused any more than I already am, regarding DNA testing, so I'm skipping the autosomal tests. I know I'm quite a mixture of various European strains.

U5b2 & R1a1

Comment

Working...
            X