Missing Matches on ysearch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Matches on ysearch

I have one exact 12/12 match within the surname or it's variant spellings and two 11/12 matches. All three show up on my FTDNA personal page and all three show up on the McCown ysearch page, however, when I look for matches on ysearch for genetic matches of at least 10/12 within the surname only the exact match shows up. Stranger still, I do have a 10/12 match that shows up on ysearch under the name Cowin or McCowne.

Does anyone know why matches posted on ysearch that show up on the McCown surname page wouldn't show up on a search for genetic matches when it is clear that they are matches?

This happened to me . . .

This happened to me, and I was confused until I realized the limitations of ysearch's parameters menu. I discovered that several people who were 22 / 25 matches disappeared from ysearch because THEY HAD TESTED > 37 LOCI IN TOTAL. That is, although they matched me at 22 out of 25, the match 'fell apart' to something like 22 / 37 with the additional loci.

Maybe this is also your case?

Good luck

Jack

Comment

Many people who have been tested haven't loaded their results to Ysearch. This would account for them not showing up on Ysearch.

FTDNA doesn't report 12 marker matches with a genetic distance greater than 1 which could account for a 10/12 match not showing up.

Comment

Sometimes you will also find folks who show up as matches in YSearch but don't show up on your FTDNA personal page, even though they tested with FTDNA.

That's usually because they have their personal page preferences set to only show matches within their surname project.

It's a pain in the butt.

I have an exact 25/25 match with a man who shows up nowhere but on my "Recent Ancestral Origins" page with place of origin listed as England.

I emailed FTDNA about him, and they sent him an email telling him I wished to contact him if he was interested. The man responded and emailed me. It turns out he was actually born in England and in the area where most of my closest matches seem to cluster.

He apparently won't upgrade to more markers (he hasn't yet at least) and he still hasn't created a YSearch entry or freed up his preferences to allow matches outside his surname project to show up.

So, check your RAO page, too. There could be a gem or two hiding there.

Comment

Thanks to all three of the first three replies, especially the shared experiences. It was intriguing to read about a 25/25 match showing up only on the RAO page and then being able to identify that individual and the area in which he lives. Good luck on getting him to test for more markers. I read in a book about the advantages of the 37 marker test and am upgraded accordingly. If any of you have surnames associated with Ulster, I highly recommend joining FTDNA's Ulster Heritage Group. The group adiministrator, Barry McCain, has been able to locate ancestors for various branches of the McCain famililes as well as for Johnston. He does this by using patterns of 67 marker test results that help identify family genealogical/geographical locations. I am currently in the process of awaiting retesting of two panels of my 67 marker test in hope that we can get around our current earliest known ancestor to his ancestors. I know that it is important to get people tested at 12 markers but wish there were more of a marketing incentive at FTDNA that would attract more members to the higher marker tests. I do appreciate the cost advantages of Surname group membership and the discounted cost of upgrading to higher marker tests.

Comment

Stevo, I am very glad that you mentioned your RAO matches that appeared no where else. An examination of my RAO showed 12 more 2 step matches at 25 markers plus two new 34/37 marker matches and 2 new 33/37 matches.

FTDNA reports that no new surnames were involved but it certainly strenghens my ties with Ulster surnames, particularly Maguire and McManus.
            Since none of the 21 Irish 25 marker matches are changed and two new McGuire and McManus individuals are added it leads to more evidence of a Most Recent Common Ancestor being more than 24 generations ago. That is because I was already in the 96.5%-97.6% range without the two new 34/37 marker matches. The Maguires, McManus and MacAuley families histories are very well known, unfortunately they have no known connection with Mac Eoghain (sounds like Mac Owen) from which my name is derived.

Comment

Originally posted by wmccown
              Stevo, I am very glad that you mentioned your RAO matches that appeared no where else. An examination of my RAO showed 12 more 2 step matches at 25 markers plus two new 34/37 marker matches and 2 new 33/37 matches.
              I'm glad to be of service.

I think a lot of folks neglect that RAO page.

But, as I said, there can be a few gems hiding in there.

Comment

checked RAO page

Originally posted by Stevo
                I'm glad to be of service.

I think a lot of folks neglect that RAO page.

But, as I said, there can be a few gems hiding in there.
                No gems here !!!!! My adoptive father Just got his results. He has no exact 12 marker matches both on his matches and RAO page. Only one step mutations. I am waiting for his full 37 marker before I put him in Y-Search.

Comment

Originally posted by Yaffa
                  No gems here !!!!! My adoptive father Just got his results. He has no exact 12 marker matches both on his matches and RAO page. Only one step mutations. I am waiting for his full 37 marker before I put him in Y-Search.
                  Ah, well.

Maybe some will eventually show up.

I didn't get any significant matches right out of the gate.

Some have come along since, including a second cousin once removed (but he's on my "Y-DNA Matches" and my RAO pages).

I wish your adoptive father the best of success!

Comment

A note to Yaffa. I went for about two years before I got my first 11/12 match within the surname. It was another year before I got my first exact match within the surname and a year after that that I got a second 11/12 match within the surname. Aside from those my most interesting matches have been outside the surname at 25 and 37 matches. Those matches gave me enough hope that I consider it money very well spent.

I found that on my RAO page, that I have 365 12/12 matches but only 302 show up on my FTDNA personal page. I sent an e-mail to Bennett Greenspan suggesting that those who, for whatever reason, require their results kept private have an unfair advantage on the rest of us. He told me by reply e-mail that they do not see our results either. That suggests that they paid their money but could have gotten more for it at the risk of some privacy. He also assure me that none of the missing 63 was a McCown. I call that excellent service by Mr. Greenspan and FTDNA.

Comment

no match

Originally posted by wmccown
                      A note to Yaffa. I went for about two years before I got my first 11/12 match within the surname. It was another year before I got my first exact match within the surname and a year after that that I got a second 11/12 match within the surname. Aside from those my most interesting matches have been outside the surname at 25 and 37 matches. Those matches gave me enough hope that I consider it money very well spent.

I found that on my RAO page, that I have 365 12/12 matches but only 302 show up on my FTDNA personal page. I sent an e-mail to Bennett Greenspan suggesting that those who, for whatever reason, require their results kept private have an unfair advantage on the rest of us. He told me by reply e-mail that they do not see our results either. That suggests that they paid their money but could have gotten more for it at the risk of some privacy. He also assure me that none of the missing 63 was a McCown. I call that excellent service by Mr. Greenspan and FTDNA.

With my adoptive father it may be difficult. Most of his ancestors did not survive the Holocaust. They are Ashkenazi from Hungary. We were hoping to find some match in Europe that may have survived further back than his great grandfather. I do hope he does find a mach one day and that maybe someone survived that we are unaware of.

Comment

Working...
                      X