Clear All

• New Testing Service

One thousand dollars for thousands of SNP's

www.23andme.com

What a Bargain!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by tomcat
    One thousand dollars for thousands of SNP's

www.23andme.com
    For all the DNA Junkies out there. $1 per SNP. A Bargain!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

$1 per SNP isn't so good when you realize that there are about 10 million SNPs in the human genome.

Imagine the number of YCC trees that you can make with 10 million SNPs!

Comment

Actually, you get 580,000 SNP's for $999 - that seems to include Mt FGS. And check-out the impressive people on their team. And the comparison of their autosomal coverage to that of DNAP's newest product Euro 2.0. And ... and ... and ...

WOW!
        Last edited by tomcat; 17 November 2007, 10:20 AM.

Comment

These are the analytical services that come with an order at this time:

"We currently provide two kinds of ancestry analysis. One traces your maternal lineage back through time from you to your mother, her mother, and all the way to the mother of all humans. The other assesses your relatedness to more than 50 populations worldwide, as measured by the similarity of your DNA to people from those groups. With time, the number of populations we use for comparison purposes will grow."

I would suppose that a future autosomal re-analysis, via a more highly developed tool, such as an admixture measure (Jonathan Pritchard is on their board of advisors and they have some in-house statistical heavyweights) might incur an additional charge.

Comment

It was a Joke

Originally posted by K. Campbell
            $1 per SNP isn't so good when you realize that there are about 10 million SNPs in the human genome.

Imagine the number of YCC trees that you can make with 10 million SNPs!
            The bargain comment was a Joke to Tomcat. A little Jewish Humor!

Comment

Originally posted by Yaffa
              For all the DNA Junkies out there...
              If you are a DNA test junkie and want to expand your Jones, then there is another option:

www.suracell.com

Comment

Bargian VS Junkie

If you are a DNA test junkie and want to expand your Jones, then there is another option:

www.suracell.com
                I prefer a bargain http://www.smgf.org/ over being a Junkie!!!!!
                Last edited by Yaffa; 17 November 2007, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yaffa
                  For all the DNA Junkies out there. $1 per SNP. A Bargain!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  How about: http://www.decodeme.com/
                  "* For only $985 we scan over one million variants in your genome"

Comment

What specific populations do they compare you with if you test, in Europe and the Nordic countries?

Comment

Originally posted by fmoakes
                      How about: http://www.decodeme.com/
                      "* For only $985 we scan over one million variants in your genome"

Even better. Are there any other genome-wide test offerings out there?

Comment

www.navigenics.com
                        www.knome.com

Comment

New TESTING

Hi Tom ; Are you speaking in favor ,in all instances ,for the 23 & me ? testing company .And they do autosomal ( enough markers ? ) as well .Would you recommend their service ? Thanks ,KAT.

Comment

I am in favor of genome-wide testing. But as I haven't tried any of these services I can't recommend any of them.

If I was Icelandic, I would probably choose decodeme. For the most comprehensive assay, knome. For the greatest likelihood of a future ancestry analysis product, 23andme. Navigenesis is yet to launch.

Comment

I am in favor of genome-wide testing. But as I haven't tried any of these services I can't recommend any of them.

If I was Icelandic, I would probably choose decodeme. For the most comprehensive assay, knome. For the greatest likelihood of a future ancestry analysis product, 23andme. Navigenesis is yet to launch.
                              We'll need to wait for some first-hand reports from the "early adopters" (probably in a month or so), but I wouldn't base the decision on deCODEme on the fact that it's in Iceland. It uses a "BeadChip" from Illumina with one million SNPs. It has access to all open-source databases as well as its own proprietary discoveries (specifically mentioned in connection with eye color).

23andMe is using a BeadChip with 550,000 SNPs, plus it has contracted with Illumina for a "hand-selected" custom set of 30,000 SNPs that it believes will be especially interesting. There are no details on which SNPs those are, but they do include more comprehensive coverage of the mtDNA coding region (about 2000 SNPs out of the 16569 bases vs 163 for deCODEme).

Navigenics will be a medically oriented website. It has some SNPs not included in the Illumina sets; perhaps they license them. See my post on GENEALOGY-DNA:

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read...-11/1195395507

I have written to Knome. They are doing actual sequencing, not scanning for a pre-selected set of SNPs. They were coy about the cost, but they said the test was limited to "high net worth" individuals, so I'm guessing it might be hundreds of thousands of dollars.

In another message you mentioned Suracell, maybe tongue-in-cheek, but I advise against "nutrigenomic" testing in general right now. I just don't think it's ready for prime time, but many companies are selling nutritional supplements in conjunction with the DNA test. A government study sent an identical DNA sample with different family histories to a number of companies, which all gave different advice, apparently based on the medical history and not the DNA results.

Comment

Working...
                              X