Personal Page & Haplogroup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal Page & Haplogroup

Does anyone know why FTDNA doesn't provide us with access to the haplotypes of matches we find on our Personal Page Haplogroup page? Has anyone requested that they do this?

Email or Call FTDNA

I just went to My MT-DNA under ancestral origins it gives Haplogroup and place of origin. I then looked at my Uncle's Y page and your right it only gives place of ancestral origin but does not list haplogroup. Call or Email FTDNA. I don't know why they only list it for MT-DNA and not Y-DNA

Comment

Personal Page and Haplogroup

This is my guess as to why FTDNA doesn't show the haplogroup of your matches on your personal page. First, unless members have a specific test done to determine their haplogroup SNP, all that is available to FTDNA is their best prediction of what your haplogroup will be. For example, over time, my own FTDNA haplogroup prediction went from R1b to R1b1 to R1b1c which they duly reported on my personal page under the Haplogroup link.

Had they been reporting my haplogroup to all of my 12 marker matches, about 297 at present, they would have had to make those haplogroup matches for me three times on each of 297 personal pages. I am currently being tested for my haplogroup SNP deep subclade test. If that test further defines my haplogroup as being R1b1cxx, then they would have to report that to each of the 297 exact matches. In addition to reporting it to my exact matches, they would also have to report it to the 11/12 matches within my surname plus those 23/25 and 33/37 matches outside my surname.

At this stage we have to rely on being self reporting via www.ysearch.org which is a free service offered by FTDNA where people tested by FTDNA as well as some other DNA Labs. can post their test results including haplogroup and other information as well. Using the various links at the top of the ysearch page you can search by surname etc.. I strongly encourage everyone who is tested for DNA to take advantage of the marvelous ysearch research tool.

Comment

Vinnie asked about haploTYPES, not haploGROUPS. Your haploTYPE is your series of 12, 25, 37 or 67 marker values.

The answer to Vinnie's question is simply privacy. The release that you received with your FTDNA kit says that FTDNA will only share your name and email address with your matches.

Anyone who wants their haplotype known can upload it to Ysearch directly from their Y-DNA Matches page. Or they can choose to share it with their matches by email.

Comment

???

Originally posted by efgen
          Vinnie asked about haploTYPES, not haploGROUPS. Your haploTYPE is your series of 12, 25, 37 or 67 marker values.

The answer to Vinnie's question is simply privacy. The release that you received with your FTDNA kit says that FTDNA will only share your name and email address with your matches.

Anyone who wants their haplotype known can upload it to Ysearch directly from their Y-DNA Matches page. Or they can choose to share it with their matches by email.
          I Understand.My Uncle signed so I have no Idea what he personally signed. I do know that His page doesn't show Haplogroup on his matches but MT-DNA does. I have no Idea about the rest

Comment

Personal Page and Haplogroup

In response to efgen, whether haplotype or haplogroup is desired to be shown by FTDNA on all matches, the task is overwhelming. It would be overwhelming just for those of us who have given FTDNA permission to publish our data. My statement stands. Use ysearch and pray that others do as well.

Comment

Originally posted by efgen

Right, I have the name and contact info of the one person with whom I have a 12-marker match - but this is on my Y-DNA Matches Page. However, I've got a number of 2, 3, and 4-step mutation matches on my Haplogroup page, but the only info I'm given is their haplogroup, country of origin, comments, and counts. I would really like to know on which markers I differ and how many steps on each marker for each one of these persons. I don't necessarily need their names and contact info.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnie
                Right, I have the name and contact info of the one person with whom I have a 12-marker match - but this is on my Y-DNA Matches Page. However, I've got a number of 2, 3, and 4-step mutation matches on my Haplogroup page, but the only info I'm given is their haplogroup, country of origin, comments, and counts. I would really like to know on which markers I differ and how many steps on each marker for each one of these persons. I don't necessarily need their names and contact info.
                Well, the main purpose of the Haplogroup page is to show you the confirmed haplogroups of your exact and near matches. What you're asking for is more advanced information and would make the page more complicated.

None of the myFTDNA pages show haplotype information for your matches, other than in the 1, 2, 3-step format. I'm sure this is by design and by policy. That said, you can certainly ask FTDNA if they'll consider providing more information. I know others have asked for the ability and flexibility to get more info about their matches in the FTDNA database, but I don't know what the response to that has been.

In the meantime, Ysearch allows for this type of advanced comparison. You can search for people who match you on at least 8/12 markers, see how they compare, see their haplotypes, and even contact them. Ysearch has only a subset of FTDNA customers since it's an opt-in system, so you probably won't find the same number of 2, 3 and 4-step mutations there, but you should still be able to get some decent information based on those who are there.

Comment

Another question re: personal pages?

Then, at the risk of becoming a pest, I will reiterate here another question regarding apparent inconsistencies in information presented on personal pages:

My brother and I have both had Y37 tests performed. We are GD of 1 from each other. An individual appears, with contact information, as a 2 GD match at 25 on my brother's page.

HOWEVER, that person does NOT apppear as a 3 or 1 GD match at 25 on my own page. How is this possible? Any thoughts, or are y'all out there as stymied as I am?

Jack

Comment

Odd

Originally posted by Clochaire
                    Then, at the risk of becoming a pest, I will reiterate here another question regarding apparent inconsistencies in information presented on personal pages:

My brother and I have both had Y37 tests performed. We are GD of 1 from each other. An individual appears, with contact information, as a 2 GD match at 25 on my brother's page.

HOWEVER, that person does NOT apppear as a 3 or 1 GD match at 25 on my own page. How is this possible? Any thoughts, or are y'all out there as stymied as I am?

Jack
                    Jack,

My Uncle matches 2 cousins 33/37 and 34/37. The 2 cousins are one GD away from each other. It does seem odd That someone would match your brother and not you. Does this person your brother matches show up on your page at all? I guess I'm as stymied as you are.

Jodi

Comment

Brother's Page

Jodi,

Thanks for the response. This person who is a GD 2 match at 25 for my brother does appear on my page -- but only as a 12/12 match for me. Not as GD 1 or 4 match at 25. I know some of the GD calculation rules for multi-copy locations (e.g., 464a-d) can be complicated, but I don't think these are the culprit--the mis-match between me and my brother is 458 (i.e., I'm 18, he's 17).

Currently my only thought is that there may be an IT problem, and the FTDNA databases may not be completely refreshed. But this came to my attention nearly 2 weeks ago.

Anyhow, the mis-matches between your uncle and cousins are interesting. I assume these cousins are the sons of your uncle, and not sons of another uncle?

Jack

Comment

Jack
                        FTDNA doesn't display 3-step matches at 25 markers on the Y-DNA Matches page. He would definitely be listed if he was a GD 1 match for you.

Here are the matching levels that FTDNA displays on the Y-DNA Matches page:

12 markers:
                        Exact
                        GD 1 (only for people in the same projects as you)

25 markers:
                        Exact, GD 1-2

37 markers:
                        Exact, GD 1-4

67 markers:
                        Exact, GD 1-7

Comment

Thanks, efgen

Good to know. I guess I had the impression that GD of 3 was still considered a significant match at 25. I think I got that idea from the return of 3 GD matches at 25 from the RAO page.

Thanks.

Jack

Comment

The Y-DNA Matches page uses levels that are considered genealogically relevant. The RAO and Haplogroup pages go slightly beyond those levels to provide some insight into deep ancestry.

Comment

Jack
                              Do both you and your brother have the matching preference set to the entire FTDNA database? Or is your preference set to show matches only within whatever projects you're a member of?

Comment

Working...
                              X