No announcement yet.

Sub-Saharan African autosomal ancestry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub-Saharan African autosomal ancestry?

Hi everyone,

I would just like to hear other people's opinions on this. On my AncestryByDNA test results it says that I am of 3% Sub-Saharan African ancestry. I realize this could easily be noise but the thing is on DNATribes my highest matches are with Sub-Saharan African populations. My highest matches are in Gabon and South Africa.

I have no known recent African ancestry but my paternal grandfather is of Calabrian Southern Italian ancestry. Do you think that these results are invalid and not real and are just noise or possibly pointing to some very ancient ancestry?

Your AbDNA and Tribes results support one another as to African ancestry but are disproportionate - a 3% AbDNA score for SSA doesn't square with top of the Top 20 matches on Tribes.

As you suggest, it would not be unheard-of for a person of Southern Italian ancestry to have a degree of African ancestry given that region's long and eventful history but that would more likely be a distant ancestral component - more in keeping with the AbDNA score of 3% than the Tribes reading.

On the one hand an AbDNA score of 3% SSA is well within the margin of error for that measure - it could just be noise.

But on the other hand top matches on Tribes could be happenstance - you may just happen to have a particular assortment of alleles that are more frequent among some African populations than among other world populations. (You do have other assortments of alleles more frequent elsewhere that drive your non-African matches).

How about this; the Tribes African matches are there for a reason but their rank in your roster of results is due to happenstance?

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat
      Your AbDNA and Tribes results support one another as to African ancestry but are disproportionate - a 3% AbDNA score for SSA doesn't square with top of the Top 20 matches on Tribes.

As you suggest, it would not be unheard-of for a person of Southern Italian ancestry to have a degree of African ancestry given that region's long and eventful history but that would more likely be a distant ancestral component - more in keeping with the AbDNA score of 3% than the Tribes reading.

On the one hand an AbDNA score of 3% SSA is well within the margin of error for that measure - it could just be noise.

But on the other hand top matches on Tribes could be happenstance - you may just happen to have a particular assortment of alleles that are more frequent among some African populations than among other world populations. (You do have other assortments of alleles more frequent elsewhere that drive your non-African matches).

How about this; the Tribes African matches are there for a reason but their rank in your roster of results is due to happenstance?

Thanks tomcat that is what I actually expected the DNATribes results were. I just wanted someone else's opinion on the matter.

Comment

JMan,

Here's a link to my post in 'Tribes scores' thread on my family's African results -

http://www.familytreedna.com/forum/s...page=148&pp=10

There are posts by others on the same topic around the same time.

Comment

Working...
        X