Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got DNA Tribes results & need help understanding them.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DNA experts...

Anywhere from .25/.75 is considered normal to them. Hey, they know us better then we do. Remember their the dna experts.

Maria

Comment

Yup,

FTDNA Tribes is the best.

d

Comment

Originally posted by NJKaren
        Tell me about it! I have contacted Tribes and their reply was simply that my scores are consistent with the Northwest European population (.39). They say anything over .25 would be normal for that population.
        And the matches? To Turkey etc. ...

Comment

I have been getting very brief, somewhat unhelpful answers from Tribes. I sent them another asking if my scores exclude the possibility of Native American ancestry. The answer was "Up to 1/4 Native American ancestry cannot be excluded." What does that mean?

No comments whatsoever regarding why my scores would be so high for Turkey, Egypt and my European panels highest for Ashkenazi, Greek, and Portugese. In their literature, it does say that some results can reflect deep ancestry rather more recent so that is the only thing I can think of that might explain it. I have been able to trace some Huganot ancestry to the South of France but this dates back to the 1600s.

I think I will next do the ABDNA test. I am still curious about possible Native American ancestry.

Comment

It is the autosome Jake, everything recombines.

In your 15 locus/30 allele profile, a profile shaped by recombination, a GGP, any GGP of eight, would be represented by THREE and a fraction alleles (and fractions don't count!).

I don't know if three UNUSUAL alleles are enough to skew a profile. What does Tribes think?
            Last edited by tomcat; 26 October 2007, 09:23 PM.

Comment

I think if I have any Native American ancestry it would probably be from Eastern North Carolina as I am pretty sure that my Massachusetts ancestors are 100% European - I am would have thought that perhaps I would have had some matches with the Lumbee but no. I don't actually know that I do have Native American ancestry - it was assumed in the family that we did but I don't know if it was because of anything that anyone actually knew or if it was just assumed because some in the family have dark hair and eyes and a somewhat olive complection.
              NJKaren,

It's not uncommon for people with Native American ancestry to not get Native American matches on the test. There have been a few people on the forum who haven't. Just because you didn't get matches doesn't mean it's not in your family history.

Comment

Originally posted by haplogroupc
                It's not uncommon for people with Native American ancestry to not get Native American matches on the test. There have been a few people on the forum who haven't. Just because you didn't get matches doesn't mean it's not in your family history.
                Before we go THERE, would it not be useful to find out WHEN NA ancestry entered this family? A GGGP Native would be represented by ONE and a fraction allele (and fractions don't count!).

Tribes IS NOT an admixture test. And although I don't know the basis on which Tribes can say "one quarter Native American cannot be excluded" don't we want to know?

Comment

No matches...

First off, I know anything under 1 does not count o.k.! And this is for basically unmixed ancestry. So I am actually lucky I even get a response at all. Like I stated, I have proven Amerindian ancestry and I am not really getting anything on the Native panel. I got Coast Salish (British Columbia, Canada) (0.02) 0.03 Ch'ol (Mayan)(Northeast Chaipas, Mexico)(0)0.00 and Puna (Andean Region, Nortwest Argentina)(0)0.00. Green bars. Matter of fact, its very common for those of us with Amerindian heritage not to get matches!

Maria
                  Last edited by Maria_W; 26 October 2007, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Thanks, everyone.

IF I have Native American ancestry, it would have entered in no later than a ggg grandmother. Of course, you can't always believe stories that are passed down. For example, my paternal grandmother (who's maiden name was Smith) used to swear that she was descended from Captain John Smith and Pocohantas. As John Smith and Pocohantas never had children together, obviously that would be impossible. Could have been that the story of NA ancestry just started because someone thought that someone in the family "looked" Native American.

One thing that puzzles me is the following in my Global scores:

European-Aboriginal (mixed) (Southeast Australia) (0.75) 24.43
                    European-Aboriginal (mixed) (New South Wales, Australia) (0.71) 23.04
                    European-Aboriginal (mixed) (Riverine Region, Australia) (0.71) 22.09

Barring the possibility that my parents took home the wrong baby from the hostpital, I believe it is safe to say that none of my ancestors ever stepped foot in Australia. I guess this is what they refer to as "statistical noise"?

Tom - I did not know that Tribes was not an admixture test - I assume that
                    ABDNA is?

Comment

One thing that puzzles me is the following...
                      European-Aboriginal (mixed) (Southeast Australia) (0.75) 24.43
                      European-Aboriginal (mixed) (New South Wales, Australia) (0.71) 23.04
                      European-Aboriginal (mixed) (Riverine Region, Australia) (0.71) 22.09

Barring the possibility that my parents took home the wrong baby from the hostpital, I believe it is safe to say that none of my ancestors ever stepped foot in Australia. I guess this is what they refer to as "statistical noise"?

Tom - I did not know that Tribes was not an admixture test - I assume that
                      ABDNA is?
                      It is happenstance, your profile just happens to resemble the allelic profiles of mixed-race Australians, to some degree.

The field of forensics generates many studies that show frequency of allele incidence in specific populations. Forensics need such stats to do the work they do. Tribes re-purposes the studies to support their test. Tribes matches are generated by a proprietary version of an industry-standard profile matching algorithm. If your profile has an assortment of alleles highly incident in a population you will get matched to that population. That doesn't mean you have any ancestry from that population.

Tribes World Region measure is their own innovation and it 'approaches' being an admixture assessment although Tribes will not call it such. Their Global Affinities report (a free .pdf from their site) gives a sense of how Tribes determines a World Score. They have compared population profiles to one another to compute the degree of 'affinity' (resemblance) between populations. So then each of your population matches has an unseen score that allows Tribes to compute your World Region scores.

AbDNA is an admixture test, it uses a proprietary version of an industry-standard admixture algorithm to compute percentages of ancestry from four broad, generic 'races' - it also produces ODD results.

Comment

Originally posted by Maria_W
                        Matter of fact, its very common for those of us with Amerindian heritage not to get matches!
                        Well, if Tribes is willing to render a judgment for NJKaren to the effect than 'one quarter Native American cannot be excluded' why not ask the same for yourself?

(Although note, that NJKaren's genealogy does rule-out one quarter Native American as there is no possibility of a Native ancestor closer than the GGGP cohort).
                        Last edited by tomcat; 27 October 2007, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X