Question on E3a origins and history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on E3a origins and history

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me the origins of E3a and its history? How widely spread was this haplogroup and what others were connected with it? I'm new to this issue as I have just begun to learn about my results and with two distant results of E3a showing up in my J2f1 haplogroup matches, I'm wondering if its possible to figure out the origin of this. It may well not be as it is probably too far back to learn, but I'd be interested in any information on this. Thanks.

Grickman

Grickman:

any similarity between J and E is purely coincidental. J and E are very different haplogroups, and they split apart very early in human history (ie possibly >50,000 years ago). E3a is the main African haplogroup, comprising the majority of subsaharan Africans. It is however extremely rare outside of Africa (and of people of subsaharan African in the Americas). J is one of the descendants of F, who most likely arose outside of Africa. J seems to be centered in the Middle East, where it likely originated and from where it then spread to the Mediterranean and in part to India.

So anyway you should discount near matches with E3a. STR markers mutate back and forth, so it is possible that by sheer chance, some markers look similar to E3a. But very likely, with more than 12 markers, the difference between E and J should be very clear.

cacio

Comment

Reply to answer on question on E3a Haplogroup

Thanks for the reply. But the results were confirmed by SNP tests and there were two instances of it based on a 4-step mutation on 12-markers. Below is the listing and the apparent place and tribe in Ghana these two individuals were from.

4 -Step Mutations
      Haplogroup Country Comment Count
      E3a Ghana Akan 1
      E3a Ghana Ewe 1

Thanks, Grickman

Comment

Grickman,

Yes, there are two people in the FTDNA database, who are SNP-confirmed as E3a are 4 steps away from you at 12 markers. What cacio is saying is that the haplogroup trumps the marker comparison. You are haplogroup J2f1, they are haplogroup E3a. These are two completely separate haplogroups and you aren't related to these people in tens of thousands of years. The fact that your 12 markers are somewhat similar to each other is only coincidence.

Here's somewhat of an analogy. You live on Main Street in New York. I live on Main Street in New Jersey. We both live on Main Street, but we're not in the same place -- we're still in two different states.

It's the same idea with haplogroups and markers. Even if you have the same or similar markers, if you're in different haplogroups, then there's no recent connection.

Elise
        Last edited by efgen; 23 October 2007, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Question on E3a

Elise,

Thanks for the reply. I never really thought that there was by any means a recent connection, but am I wrong in thinking that it was possibly thousands of years ago?

Grickman

Comment

Originally posted by Grickman
            Elise,
            Thanks for the reply. I never really thought that there was by any means a recent connection, but am I wrong in thinking that it was possibly thousands of years ago?
            Grickman
            Many *tens* of thousands, not just thousands Take a look here to see the basic structure of the Y chromosome tree:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Y...NA_haplogroups

Each of the major haplogroups was founded tens of thousands of years ago, at different times.

Comment

Agree with previous comments. Just to amplify. FTDNA matches are based on STRs. While STR patterns are correlated with SNP based haplogroups, some STR patterns are not unique to a particular haplogroup. Thus haplogroup membership can be "predicted" from STR patterns but the prediction is not perfect. Different haplogroups may have similar STR patterns despite their different genetic history. This is more likely if fewer markers are used. This process is known as "convergence". With junk dna this process is probably random and adaptation neutral, but in other cases involving more "essential" parts of the genome, convergence occurs because it promotes species adaptation.
              Last edited by josh w.; 24 October 2007, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X