No announcement yet.

SMGF- 4 generation rule does not apply to people who came to the US from Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMGF- 4 generation rule does not apply to people who came to the US from Europe

Just got off the phone with SMGF. They are doing MT, Y, autosomal and X testing. I was told that if your family came here to the US form Europe and you can not retrace your family back 4 generations, they will still accept your DNA. However ,they will not accept you if you were adopted. If you were adopted, you must do private testing.

Jodi

Jodi
    I think they do accept on a case by case basis..they accepted mine even though my Dad had a NPE..I told them his birth certifcate says "Louis Seybold" and they said they would use that..his BC BTW was sealed to him as his grandmother adopted and riased him..

I don't know if there IS a L.Seybold but my DNA Tribes has considerable Polish/Russian..

Comment

Smgf

Originally posted by Kathleen Carrow
      Jodi
      I think they do accept on a case by case basis..they accepted mine even though my Dad had a NPE..I told them his birth certifcate says "Louis Seybold" and they said they would use that..his BC BTW was sealed to him as his grandmother adopted and riased him..

I don't know if there IS a L.Seybold but my DNA Tribes has considerable Polish/Russian..
      I should have been more specific about adoption. Your father was adopted by his biological family and you know names of the family.

With me I am a second generation adoptee but have proven both my and my mother's adoption through paper and DNA tests done through FTDNA.

SMGF accepted me as an adoptee because I have already proven both adoptions and can trace back 5 generations on my mother's maternal side. I also had to send them copies of my MT-DNA and my Uncle's MT-DNA testing from FTDNA to prove my maternal line is concrete since our surnames don't match because of adoptions.

If someone is adopted and does not have any biological info they will not accept you. This is what they told me on the phone this morning.

Jodi
      Last edited by Yaffa; 22 October 2007, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yaffa
        Just got off the phone with SMGF. They are doing MT, Y, autosomal and X testing. I was told that if your family came here to the US form Europe and you can not retrace your family back 4 generations, they will still accept your DNA. However ,they will not accept you if you were adopted. If you were adopted, you must do private testing.

Jodi
        I don't know why the four generation rule doesn't apply to Europe-unless they keep better records. Because I read that they weren't any more purer;some Europeans have Native American Indian blood,some are Danes(not English) and didn't even know it,some are mulattos,and a portion have Mediterranean ancestry,so it's not like they are all one simple ancestry and then you don't have to ask what it is. Also I read on an msn page that American Whites have the same blood as DanishDanes ,so there was no need to get donor sperm from Denmark which could contain Mad Cow Disease. So if American Blood is as 'authentic' as European blood then why do Americans need so many records,4 generations back,to prove something??? Also it's not our faults where the records are-I ain't got the records in my custody.

Comment

4 generation rule for Europe

There were many immigrants That came here in the mid-late 1800's and early 1900's. Many Jewish people fled from persecution and can not retrace their families. This is accepted by SMGF. This has noting to do with race or blood.

Comment

Its here....

Hi.
            Just wanted to let you know that I got my kit from Sorenson's. I like the silver box that it comes in. It pretty. Haven't really looked at the kit its self yet. Free dna is cool!

Maria

Comment

Instructions read like ...

Hi all.
              Just got my free kit from Sorensons. First off, a chance to be involved in research is amazing. Plus all the dna there doing, I mean Y(Well not me..) X, Autosomal and mtDNA is so cool... Thank you for allowing me to be apart of this research. Second free is good! Third really like the box it comes in. The box is sturdy and I like the silver color. But... Oh my the instructions are complicated! Just filling out the concent form is going to be a 6 hour process.... All in total theres 8 pages... With the other you just swab your cheeks and sign and off it goes.. But its not free and that just 1 test, This is potentially 4 tests. By the time I get done with this I am afraid I will have mutated!

Maria

Comment

Working...
              X