X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMGF - Info for contacting participants in their database

I have an application for SMGF

Participant Contact Quote

Users of the online database may desire to contact you ( the participant ) to ask questions or share information. Contact between database users and project participants is completly voluntary and is brokered by SMGF or a third party,such as an email message sent through the SMGF website. None of your personal or contact information will be shared with database users.

You have to email SMGF if you find a match and they will contact the participant in their project

Jodi

This was news to me, so I contacted Ugo Perego at SMGF. He told me that SMGF had just received approval a couple of weeks ago from the Western Institutional Review Board (WIRB) for this kind of brokered contact, so their consent forms are now including the language you quoted. The WIRB has certain guidelines for human subjects research, and SMGF voluntarily seeks their approval to help reassure participants that SMGF is following practices standard in the scientific community.

Since the approval is so recent, there's no mechanism in place right now to implement the contact. This will be forthcoming at an unspecified date.

Comment

Smgf

Originally posted by Ann Turner
      This was news to me, so I contacted Ugo Perego at SMGF. He told me that SMGF had just received approval a couple of weeks ago from the Western Institutional Review Board (WIRB) for this kind of brokered contact, so their consent forms are now including the language you quoted. The WIRB has certain guidelines for human subjects research, and SMGF voluntarily seeks their approval to help reassure participants that SMGF is following practices standard in the scientific community.

Since the approval is so recent, there's no mechanism in place right now to implement the contact. This will be forthcoming at an unspecified date.
      I would love to see them operate like Mitosearch and Ysearch where there can be direct private contact. I have had no matches in SMGF to date with any of my DNA done by FTDNA. It is nice to know that there is now a possible way to make contact should anyone find a match in SMGF database

Jodi

Comment

But there still are no haplogroups

I can guess that SMGF near matches shown with 16270 are haplogroup U5, but that's as far as it goes. I'd like to see it narrowed down. Most German U5's would seem to be U5a. But since I'm U5b2, a rarety in Germany apparently, I'm searching for breakdowns to that (u5a & U5b) levels. Of course I could be wrong in assigning my mtDNA source to Germany.

Comment

No Haplogroups

Originally posted by PDHOTLEN
          I can guess that SMGF near matches shown with 16270 are haplogroup U5, but that's as far as it goes. I'd like to see it narrowed down. Most German U5's would seem to be U5a. But since I'm U5b2, a rarety in Germany apparently, I'm searching for breakdowns to that (u5a & U5b) levels. Of course I could be wrong in assigning my mtDNA source to Germany.
          People traveled and your MT-DNA haplogroup estimated 1400 yrs ago so maybe they did come from some where else other than Germany. You have to look at the mutations to look for matches in SMGF. I do wish they would use haplogroups. I share same mutations with other MT-DNA haplogroups so it does make it harder to figure out. Time will tell if they change their policy

Jodi

Comment

Originally posted by Yaffa
            I would love to see them operate like Mitosearch and Ysearch where there can be direct private contact. I have had no matches in SMGF to date with any of my DNA done by FTDNA. It is nice to know that there is now a possible way to make contact should anyone find a match in SMGF database

Jodi
            Ancestry.co.uk have just announced that for £74, which is about $150, they will check your cheek swab against a DNA database of 20 million people around the world, and they'll send you an email to let you know of any matches, whom you can then contact yourself if you so wish.

Harry

Comment

Cool!

Originally posted by hdw
              Ancestry.co.uk have just announced that for £74, which is about $150, they will check your cheek swab against a DNA database of 20 million people around the world, and they'll send you an email to let you know of any matches, whom you can then contact yourself if you so wish.

Harry
              That is good news but would most benifit people who have taken full testing on Y and MT.

My MT-DNA 1 & 2 matches at least 18 people in Japan in a world database. My Ancestor was American Indian from the Rio Grande. I would need to do the full MT-DNA test to get any kind of true match and a possible tribe.

Jodi

Comment

Any takers?

First off, how in the world, no pun intended, did they get 20 mllion names to compare against! So for 150.00 they will go through all those names and will match your mtDNA and Y. How would you do the 150.00 to England. Any takers?

Maria

Comment

Try this its a free search

Originally posted by Maria_W
                  First off, how in the world, no pun intended, did they get 20 mllion names to compare against! So for 150.00 they will go through all those names and will match your mtDNA and Y. How would you do the 150.00 to England. Any takers?

Maria
                  http://www.genpat.uu.se/mtDB/ Free search

Have you used this link to compare MT-DNA?

Comment

New Sorenson partnership

Received this today:

SMGF is pleased to announce an official partnership with the latest contributor in the field of genealogy - GeneTree. GeneTree is a new family sharing website that helps extend the concept of family by using the technology of today to enrich the genealogy of the past. By combining the resources of SMGF with modern media sharing utilities, GeneTree will be ground-breaking, not only for SMGF participants, but for the entire field of molecular genealogy.

In SMGF's eight years of operation, one of our main goals has been to provide useful tools for genetic genealogists. Many participants have expressed a desire for personalized DNA analysis or to communicate with their DNA cousins around the world. We are excited to finally be able to point you to GeneTree as the right place to do just that.

GeneTree is packed with great resources for users including:

Social networking capabilities enabling individuals and families to connect
                    Media sharing tools where pictures, video and other media can be posted and shared
                    Resources for DNA analysis and interpretation
                    Ability to contact other users with matching DNA and genealogies
                    Innovative tools to help users discover probable migration patterns for their ancient ancestors
                    The opportunity to receive a DNA profile quickly and for a low price
                    We encourage you to set up a free account at GeneTree (www.genetree.com) and explore all the extraordinary features this new site has to offer. In the near future, past SMGF participants* will be able to receive their personalized DNA results through their GeneTree accounts, by paying a small processing fee. Stay tuned for more details in an upcoming email and watch for a posting on the SMGF website.

SMGF, as well as GeneTree, take great care in protecting your confidentiality. While SMGF provides GeneTree the ability to search our premier databases, all DNA and pedigree information are anonymously linked and therefore not associated with your personal information nor that of your living relatives. SMGF will not give personalized information to GeneTree without your explicit consent. SMGF, not GeneTree, will verify your past participation, and your DNA analysis results will be made available to you through your personal GeneTree account. Your data will not be made available without your request. If you have questions, contact SMGF at 1-800-344-7643 or [email protected]

Comment

Is SMGF hoarding results???

Here's something strange. I saw the same press release yesterday that Pleroma posted here about SMGF working with GeneTree to display test results from SMGF and contact those who are willing to be contacted.

So I created my free account at GeneTree and entered my mtDNA results from FTDNA there. (GeneTree is not set up to enter your yDNA results yet, although that is supposed to be coming in the future.)

Next I did a search to find matches to my mtDNA. I had 4 results with a difference in two mutations and one exact match. The exact match was to me! It was obvious that it was me, even though my name and contact information were not provided, because the family tree displayed with the exact match was the one I provided a year ago to SMGF, along with my DNA sample.

Yet my results have not shown up in SMGF's database. So it seems that SMGF has at least mtDNA results from my sample, which have been placed in GeneTree's database, but not yet in SMGF's. I wonder how long it will be before my mtDNA results show up in SMGF's publicly searchable database.

Comment

Originally posted by hdw

Harry
                        I am quite surprised to hear that there is a 20 million person DNA database. What sort of DNA is covered in this database, Y, Mt, Autosomal, X? And how many markers do you get for 150 US?

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi
                          Yet my results have not shown up in SMGF's database. So it seems that SMGF has at least mtDNA results from my sample, which have been placed in GeneTree's database, but not yet in SMGF's. I wonder how long it will be before my mtDNA results show up in SMGF's publicly searchable database.
                          I would wonder how a sample and family tree donated to a foundation came to be lodged in a for-profit database? Did you agree to the sharing of your information with Genetree?

Comment

Call SMGF

Here's something strange. I saw the same press release yesterday that Pleroma posted here about SMGF working with GeneTree to display test results from SMGF and contact those who are willing to be contacted.

So I created my free account at GeneTree and entered my mtDNA results from FTDNA there. (GeneTree is not set up to enter your yDNA results yet, although that is supposed to be coming in the future.)

Next I did a search to find matches to my mtDNA. I had 4 results with a difference in two mutations and one exact match. The exact match was to me! It was obvious that it was me, even though my name and contact information were not provided, because the family tree displayed with the exact match was the one I provided a year ago to SMGF, along with my DNA sample.

I would call them and ask how your DNA got to Gene Tree but is not posted in their database 1-800-344-7643

Comment

When I signed on and did a search I found 1 new match that was not yet included in SMGF's database. Also the Gedcom provided has not yet appeared at familysearch.org. I'm expecting that this information should show up soon at these sites.

I love the DNAvigator! It's a great feature.

Comment

Working...
                              X