Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EXTRA !!!!! The Ghost in your Genes

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • EXTRA !!!!! The Ghost in your Genes

    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/genes/?...nes_2007-10-16

    PBS JUST SHOWED A GREAT DOCUMENTARY
    here is something about it
    1]why genes dont do everything
    2]what is the effect of a famine on the grandchildren and how does the being male and female effect it thru the paternal genes line yeah ydna and mtdna
    3] how does a gene know what disease to give a child when the type of disease depends on whether the genes causeing the disease depends where it came from male sperm or female egg . how does the gene know its paternal or maternal
    you simply have to see this i cant remember everything i am down loading it as i type.its a keeper
    Last edited by Jim Denning; 16 October 2007, 08:39 PM.

  • #2
    I read an article about this in Discover magazine last November. Here is a link to the article on epigenetics.

    Comment


    • #3
      Oh great! Like we moms don't have enough pressure and guilt!

      But seriously, this was a really interesting article. Thanks for posting it R2.

      And Jim, thanks for mentioning the PBS show. I've set it up on my PVR.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Pleroma
        Oh great! Like we moms don't have enough pressure and guilt!

        But seriously, this was a really interesting article. Thanks for posting it R2.

        And Jim, thanks for mentioning the PBS show. I've set it up on my PVR.

        make sure to watch it

        ' imagine the same defect in a gene where a section is missing . the same section and location gives one kid a syndrome where the kid is disabled and jumps and another kind of syndrome where the kid losses the full feeling and eats to 300 lbs and other stuff

        why does one kid get one and the other another
        the 1st faulty gene comes from mom and the second comes from dad

        how does this small x in a gene on a chriomesone know whether its maternal or paternal. 7 years after birth. the defect is a section of the bottom right leg of the x in the middle of the leg is missing
        day after i still say WOW

        Comment


        • #5
          Human Epigenome Project

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Jim Denning
            make sure to watch it

            ' imagine the same defect in a gene where a section is missing . the same section and location gives one kid a syndrome where the kid is disabled and jumps and another kind of syndrome where the kid losses the full feeling and eats to 300 lbs and other stuff

            why does one kid get one and the other another
            the 1st faulty gene comes from mom and the second comes from dad

            how does this small x in a gene on a chriomesone know whether its maternal or paternal. 7 years after birth. the defect is a section of the bottom right leg of the x in the middle of the leg is missing
            day after i still say WOW
            I read,autism comes from the Father's side ,and OLD Father,with OLD sperm,but it's not inherited,it's a congenital flawed mutation that comes upon the fathers themselves.All problems don't stem from the momma.

            Comment


            • #7
              cause of Autism

              Originally posted by Jambalaia32
              I read,autism comes from the Father's side ,and OLD Father,with OLD sperm,but it's not inherited,it's a congenital flawed mutation that comes upon the fathers themselves.All problems don't stem from the momma.
              NOT TRUE!!!!!!!!! http://www.autism.org/overview.html

              Comment


              • #8
                I saw the program tonight and it was absolutely fascinating. If you can catch it, it's well worth your time. Briefly, the program gives an overview of the very new subfield of genetics, epigenomics, which focuses on how genes are turned on/off by environmental factors such as smoking & drinking, stress, and even food intake. Most important, these influences can produce chemical changes in the sperm & egg that can lead to effects in the 3rd & 4th generations past the generation that is directly influenced by the environment. Conclusion? It's not all about us - what we do does affect other people.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I did see the program and it was very interesting. They should show this film in high schools.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Jambalaia32
                    I read,autism comes from the Father's side ,and OLD Father,with OLD sperm,but it's not inherited,it's a congenital flawed mutation that comes upon the fathers themselves.All problems don't stem from the momma.
                    I heard that reported in the news this past year but I'm sure we all have those folks on the family tree that had 10-14 kids some of which were born when the father was already a grandfather and there was no autism.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X