• Show
Clear All

• surname match

Will my DNA sample be cross-referenced against the entire
    database, or only my Surname database? If I have a very
    uncommon last name, then I could possibly be the only
    one in the database!

Chuck:
    Have you already received your DNA results? If the test was with FTDNA, you must sign the release card that is returned with the sample. Once you receive your results, you will have a personal DNA page at FTDNA. On that page there is a tab labeled "update contact information". If you click on that tab you are taken to a page that has your address, email, etc. There is a box labeled "restrict matches to surname project" that is checked. If you uncheck that box, then your DNA result will be compared with everyone who has signed the release form.
    Dennis West
    WEST, PARKER, GIBBONS projects

Comment

Originally posted by dennis
      Chuck:
      Have you already received your DNA results? If the test was with FTDNA, you must sign the release card that is returned with the sample. Once you receive your results, you will have a personal DNA page at FTDNA. On that page there is a tab labeled "update contact information". If you click on that tab you are taken to a page that has your address, email, etc. There is a box labeled "restrict matches to surname project" that is checked. If you uncheck that box, then your DNA result will be compared with everyone who has signed the release form.
      Dennis West
      WEST, PARKER, GIBBONS projects

No I have'nt sent for a test yet, I'm reading up on it now.
      Ok Dennis, so if I unchecked the box that says restrict matches to surnames,I can get other surnames that are related to me?
      Is that correct? Thanks Chuck

Comment

Yes, your DNA results will be compared with everyone who signs the release form. Whether you will match anyone can't be predicted. We have a few people who have zero matches. If you do match someone with a different surname, determining whether you could be related to that person depends on old style paper genealogy research.
        Dennis West

Comment

Dennis,
          Thank you for responding on my question. I'm considering submitting a DNA sample. Thanks again.

Chuck

Comment

Working...
          X