Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DNA Tribes New Populations Added/ No Native American?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA Tribes New Populations Added/ No Native American?

After the long wait, DNA Tribes has neglected to add any Native Americans to their database. As the database continues to grow, my Native American matches get smaller numbers and instead match more with other population groups. I could be wrong, but I think this is why several of us with known Native American ancestry keep getting lower numbers with the current database.
    Even my wife, who is almost full blood Central American Indian gets low numbers.

That's frustrating...but blimey we now have some England samples!!! That will be interesting.....shame one of them is for London and I have no London ancestors but still lol.

Comment

Well I went for the update..we will see what it looks like..my Irish researcher has found more Scots in my Irish lines so we will see what happens.
      Kathleen

Comment

Originally posted by Black Dutch
        After the long wait, DNA Tribes has neglected to add any Native Americans to their database. As the database continues to grow, my Native American matches get smaller numbers and instead match more with other population groups. I could be wrong, but I think this is why several of us with known Native American ancestry keep getting lower numbers with the current database.
        Even my wife, who is almost full blood Central American Indian gets low numbers.
        "After the long wait ..." Tribes would have gladly added NA pop stats if they had any. They don't have any. The tribes are opposed to DNA testing except to serve tribal purposes. Hence any DNA testing done on NA tribes is done privately. The only open source of NA DNA 'ethnic' stats is via NA persons interfacing with state or federal criminal justice (an oxymoron? perhaps).

Comment

Originally posted by Black Dutch
          ... As the database continues to grow, my Native American matches get smaller numbers and instead match more with other population groups. I could be wrong, but I think this is why several of us with known Native American ancestry keep getting lower numbers with the current database.
          I am not in position to explain how Tribes does their stats, but under classical profile matching each of your alleles (or you wife's alleles) are INDEPENDANTLY graded against allele stats of reference populations - if you (or your wife) have 'a number' of alleles that match high incidence alleles in a reference pop, you (or your wife) will pull a match to that population. Clearly one can only be evaluated against the pops in the db. BUT, classically, one's original/prior score to certain pops ought not go down in deference to other populations to whom one better matches. The better-matching pop scores should be better, but the original matching pop scores ought not go down.

Under the classical scheme database balance does not matter (although EVERYONE wants a complete and balanced db).

Comment

Na

Like tom said, most tribal members will not test. I have 2 tribal members that match my MT-DNA. One on HVR1 with the Cherokee Nation and a perfect mach to a Chocktaw on HVR 1 & 2. If I was related to the Choctaw it would have been way back. My line is from the Rio Grande. I spoke with the Choctaw's family and they decided to do the MT just to try and retrace their female ancestor back futher. I never contacted the Cherokee I matched within 1400 yrs to see why they tested.I see no point since I know my ancestor was not Cherokee. As far as the tribes taking autosomal tests, I could see why they wouldn't want to. Putting tribal beliefs aside, they are already enrolled so how would testing autosomal DNA benefit them? I have seen more who just take Y and MT.

Comment

Probably won't happen....

As much as I want to see some Southeastern DNA data I am pretty sure its not going to happen....

Maria

Comment

Sourther DNA

Originally posted by Maria_W
                As much as I want to see some Southeastern DNA data I am pretty sure its not going to happen....

Maria
                Maria,

There is southeastern DNA out there. I know a few people that are keeping track of Y DNA surnames and haplogroups that are known for being " Melungeon" Most of the Melungeon's ere either African or European or both mixed with NA. They are showing up all different haplogroups. They stared off in VA, to NC then onto TN and KY. If you know what surnames you are looking for, you can search in Y search or on SMGF and get an Idea. On SMGF you can also search for Maternal surname.

Comment

Originally posted by burto
                  That's frustrating...but blimey we now have some England samples!!! That will be interesting.....shame one of them is for London and I have no London ancestors but still lol.
                  I went for another update analysis from DNATribes. All the reports I bought previously have been updated. Good thing DNATribes now has London, England, because it is now my second highest match.
                  I don't know why Portugal is still my top match, let alone in my top twenty, the only thing that can explain that is that most British people are descended from ancient celtic Iberians that moved up into the British Isles (Bryan Sykes book).
                  My first DNATribes gave me Maputo, Mozambique as my second match
                  Now all the Sub-Saharan matches are gone, even the Zulu match that I still had in my last extended report is a non-match now.

In my newest updated panel for Native American Indian, I now have:
                  Athabaskan (Alaskan) (0.12) 0.47
                  Cree (Kenistenoag, Saskatchewan, Canada) (0.01) 0.02
                  Coast Salish (British Columbia, Canada) (0.01) 0.01
                  Puna (Andean Region, Northwest Argentina) (0.01) 0.01
                  Coast Salish (0.01) 0.01
                  Cree (0.01) 0.01
                  ********all the rest are scored 0.00******
                  Last edited by rainbow; 9 October 2007, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X